3.0 D4D Brake Shoe replacement questions

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

3.0 D4D Brake Shoe replacement questions

Post by Mars67 »

Morning Guys

Well its time for the replacement of my rear brake shoes on my 2006 DC D4D. I got different answers from different suppliers regarding the part numbers etc for the shoes and decided to get genuine Toyota. In the box they added a pamphlet stating that one should use high temp grease on all the metal to metal bearing surfaces, i.e. where the brake shoes come into contact with the backing plate and then obviously also on the adjuster and the automatic adjuster.

I have replaced many brake shoes in my life and have always used a little moly grease on the adjusters etc. but never on the backing plate? My experience is that you never want any contaminants on the lining and drums. I suppose the high temperature grease is to avoid the grease melting and getting onto anything.

What do you think? What high temperature grease should one use?
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: 3.0 D4D Brake Shoe replacement questions

Post by Hoppy »

I fit them dry, dust colects on grease making grinding paste.

I you want to, Coppa Slip would be the best.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Re: 3.0 D4D Brake Shoe replacement questions

Post by Mars67 »

Hoppy wrote:I fit them dry, dust colects on grease making grinding paste.
My thoughts exactly Hoppy. I was also wondering about Copper slip but it would still cause gunk to collect there.

Return to “The Workshop”