How do I fit an extra blade to leafpack? DIY please.

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

How do I fit an extra blade to leafpack? DIY please.

Post by Kaspaas »

More manne, "long time no see"
Het vir lank die forum gesurf en nie kans gesien vir n post met my dail-up connection nie, maar moet erken n 1024mb ADSL loop soos stroop!! :clap: :clap:

Gaan dit in Engels probeer post, meskien meer replies, so verskoon die spel foute..

Right, I fitted MIKEM suspension to my Hilux, with a comfort rating upfront and a heavy load setup at the back, the problem I found is that my front end is to"pap". Thought about it many times and came to the conclusion, that although its a comfort rating, and didn't want the Hilux "stamping" like a rodeo bull, it could be a comfort setup for a lighter 4y petrol engine. and in my 2.8D is much heavier, right? :think: Now I want to take a leaf out of my old Saaymans and fit a blade to the Mikem leaf pack.

I have enough thread on the centre bolt to fit a blade in, and my steering link has already been modified, because of the saddle plates I fitted, which I can just remove to fit the blade in future, glad I did.

Now the question, how do i fit a extra full length blade, without the whole leaf pack falling to bits?

Is there a shortcut? Although I'm in Kakamas, I have an option to take it to Upington, but want to keep the costs as low as possible.
Ciao
Last edited by Kaspaas on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: How do I fit an extra blade to leafack? DIY please.

Post by Mud Dog »

Cobus, the right way is to remove and strip the packs, then reassemble with the extra blade. then you can also check the shackle bushes and grease them at the same time. You can't just slide a blade in. First check the width of the Saaymans to see that it is compatible. Also check that the extra height of the pack will not catch on the "J" arm / steering arm where the draglink connects. You might have to modify the arm or space it up.

If you don't want to take the shackles and spring hangers off, you would have to release the axle from the springs (u-bolts). Obviously the front must first be on stands with the axle hanging off the ground and the wheels removed. It would be best to also release the brake calipers from the axle and hang / tie them out of the way with a wire hook. Put a jack under the axle before releasing the u-bolts for support so that it can be lowered gently once released (you don't want to drop it on the discs). Then clamp the leaf pack with a pair of g-clamps either side of centre before undoing the centre bolt, and then release any tension in the blades by slacking off the g-clamps. All the blades will come free except for the top one that will still be attached to the shackles. You may have enough room to slide the new blade in without removing the top bolt of the spring clamps, otherwise undo it. Do one side at a time and follow your steps in reverse for re-assembly. find out what the torque setting is for the u-bolts beforehand and fasten them with a torque-wrench.

It's simple enough .... just takes time. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Kaspaas

Re: How do I fit an extra blade to leafack? DIY please.

Post by Kaspaas »

Thanks Andy, sounds very simple indeed.

I have alredy made a mod to thet J arm, After I made Louis (Zanoli) saddle correction, Allan gave me advice to add a "saddle plate", wich basically is a a old hilux leaf, wich is just a inch londer on ether end of the saddle, helps to prevent that W shape, so if want to fit an extra leaf, I will just remove those plates, and it sould all fit fine...

I was thinking, I do not mind removing the leafpack and working on them on a work bench, If i losen all the leaves, and then add the extra leave, cant I use a long peace of ready-bolt, "locknut" it one end slot it through all the centre holes, and use my Makita drill, to pull aall leaves in place, line everything up. clamp it with a G-clamp, put the correct bolt in, and then thighten it?

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Re: How do I fit an extra blade to leafpack? DIY please.

Post by Mud Dog »

You can use a longer bolt or metal rod as a locating dowel to align the leaves on assembly before clamping and fitting the correct tensile bolt. I don't understand what you would want to do with the drill though. The holes in the leaves should not be made bigger.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

I was just messing around, instead af having to rachet the 40cm of thread that are on the rod, I can take a socked adaptor, and use the drill, to pull the blades in place :angel:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

don't you mean 40mm ??! .... Lazy bugger! :lol:

Rikkie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: D-4D

Post by Rikkie »

I think he has a new drill he wants to play with........ :wink:
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

So op sy nommer Rikkie, op sy nommer!! :lol:

Return to “The Workshop”