brakes

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: M18

brakes

Post by lukestrugnell »

Hi guys

My lux's brakes feel slightly soft and the handbrake doesnt hold (its not the cable)
It is not a fluid leak and the booster seems to be working hundreds.

What else would cause this?

Im gonna check the pads and shoes this weekend, if its just that then fine otherwise I may fork out and have the brakes serviced at a professional.

Anyone know a good place in Northern Limpopo, i.e. Polokwane, Ellisras, Messina, etc?

Thanks
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: brakes

Post by BenHur »

Luke

I mailed your workshop manual today. It has a whole section on the brakes. If I export the brakes section only it is 55 pages @ 2.87meg. I can email it to you in the meanwhile.

If I were you I would start by removing the rear disk and checking that everything inside there is clean and in working order. These drums tend to pick up garbage like mud if we drive off-road. If everything there is in working condition try adjusting the brake linings so that they bind properly when you apply the brakes.

If they are adjusted properly and the handbrake cable is adjusted it should work at least. Just remember these Hiluxes are known to have better handbrakes in the forward direction then in reverse. So park it with the nose facing downwards if possible.

One thing to check is that the clearances of the drums and shoes are within limits as per workshop manual. Sometimes people skimmed the drums and if you replace the rear shoes with standard ones they are too small. If the drum was skimmed it is best to have brake shoes made up by these "Brake and Clutch" people with enough compound on to compensate for the clearance deviations of the drum i.e the shoes must be matched to the drum size.

If after you services and adjusted the rear brakes the the systems does still not work well try replacing all the brakefluid from front to rear by bleeding the system out with new brake fluid.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

From a website I was once at, can't remember where though:

This is the proper way to bleed your brakes to avoid spongy brakes, etc...

Originally posted by Opp's
----------------------------------------------------
"...This is from the FSM and it works great..."

1. Drivers side rear
2. Passenger side rear
3. Passenger side front
4. Drivers side front (Not sure if this was for a left or right hand drive though)
5. LSPV (Load sensing proportioning valve)
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Sifu-Lux wrote:From a website I was once at, can't remember where though:

This is the proper way to bleed your brakes to avoid spongy brakes, etc...

Originally posted by Opp's
"...This is from the FSM and it works great..."

1. Drivers side rear
2. Passenger side rear
3. Passenger side front
4. Drivers side front (Not sure if this was for a left or right hand drive though)
5. LSPV (Load sensing proportioning valve)
Got to disagree with you concerning where a person starts to bleed the brake system, but first of all this will be determined if the vehicle concerned is a right or left hand drive, if it is a right hand drive, you must start at the left rear wheel, then the right rear then left front and end at the right front.

Maybe where you got the info is from a site that has left hand drive vehicles and thus then you would start at the right rear.

Never bleed the valve.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

On any vehicle you should start with the furthest point 1st and in the case of a Hilux it is like "Simon says" (PUN Intended) it is left rear.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Why not bleed the valve Simon :?:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by lukestrugnell »

Thanks guys and Thanks Bennie for mailing that.

If you wouldnt mind sending me the brakes section in the meantime that will be great.
Could you email direct to me on: luke (at) dewildt.org.za

I will do as you suggest.
Cheers
Luke
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by lukestrugnell »

Ok so have the handbrake semi-working :>
I adjusted the rear shoes and the cable adjuster underneath! Unfortunately I managed to snap off the bolt but have made a plan to keep it working till I an find a new part!

The handbrake now works on a slight downhill but not a steep one. Will remove the back wheels and adjust further this weekend and hope that solves it!

At least the rock can now go from behind the wheel :>
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Luke

What I found works well is to adjust the brakes up until you feel them biting but can still turn the wheel by hand. It will bite a little for a few kms but the wheels will soon become loose again. Have you checked the clearances to ensure the linings are large enough for the drums?
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by lukestrugnell »

Hi Bennie
Ya the linings seem ok.
I will adjust further this weekend and do as you reccomend thanks
Henry
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Henry »

Luke
From what I can understand the probable cause of this poor braking can be that the linings and brakepads are glazed. This normally happens when the pads and linings are old and they get very hard with a kind of glazed skin on them. I had the same problem with one of my trucks. The vehicle did not want to brake properly althoughthe linings were still in a good state. The vehicle was then relined and the problem solved. Maybe wise to skim the drums slightly. Linings do have the tendancy to underperform when they are contaminated with oil or brakefluid. Even if you clean them properly.
Bullet
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: '97 Toyota Hilux D/cab 2.4

Post by Bullet »

I would like to repeat Justin's question
Why not bleed the valve Simon ?
Cedric
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Roodeport
Vehicle: 1985 Hilux D/C

Post by Cedric »

I read somewhere on this forum that this is an inherant problem with the (SFA?) Hiluxes ( older ones mostly, at a guess) & most of us seem to accept that not much can be done. The answer is to carry a brick with you in the back
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

huh? a brick?

explain please...

I are a bit slow...

:mrgreen:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

'n baksteen of groot klip om voor jou wiel te gooi 8) 8)
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

SupraLuxBul wrote:huh? a brick?

explain please...

I are a bit slow...

:mrgreen:
Spoken like a true lue ull.... you use the brick to throw at the lue ulle, of course... :twisted:

--F_D (F_B_D????)

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Eric, it make me think of the Vodacom add with the girl throwing the orange at the player :shock: :lol:
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Silence....I kill you!!
naasburger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pomona
Vehicle: 96' Hilux DC 4x4

Post by naasburger »

Hi guys

I'm new here but had the same problem with my rear brakes.

I put new drums and linings and still had the spongy feel and the hand brake not working properly. Took it to a local car expert working from home (also a hilux owner), and he told me that the new linings need to be profile cut according to drum to make sure the shoe catches on the drum with the entire shoe surface. Weather a new or old drum, relining old shoes never fit as good as the ones the vehicle came out with.

After mime was profiled according to the drums, and adjusted properly, my handbrake works like a dream, and the brakes arent spongy anymore. :wink:

Hope this helps.
1996 Hilux DC 4x4 2.4 Petrol standard, Ironman Suspension with extended shacles, Modified colt nudge-M bumper front with Warn Winch. Self-made bumper rear, Long range tank, 32" BF Muds, 15" x 8J Steel rims.

For Truck Tyres or Generators contact me at: 082 214 9699

Return to “The Workshop”