Inverter welder????

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Inverter welder????

Post by ToyX4 »

I shall very much appreciate if someone can will like to help me.

I need to buy a new welder, want ek moet voerkraal en druk gang bou vir die beeste, so it is gonna work quite hard.

Will a 200A inverter welder be able to weld allmost all day long?
I know the old tonco won't do it.

Is there a specific brand I should look at, and or stay away from, or can I buy any brand?

O ja, wat van die auto darkening hoed?

ImageImage
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Re: Inverter welder????

Post by ToyX4 »

Another question. I might not be able to get Eskom power to the buildin site.
What size generator would I need to run this welder?
ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The inverters are far more efficient IRO power consumption than the transformer type welders, so I would think that about a 3kva genny will do the trick depending on what amperage you'll be welding at. A 200 amp inverter is powerful enough for most jobs, should give you about 8 to 10 mm penetration. I bought a Matweld 200, almost a 100% duty cycle, and I know of guys who weld all day. That is, they turn it on in the morning and only switch off at the end of the day ... bear in mind that no-one welds continuously all day, there are stops and breaks inbetween (cutting material, grinding. lining up before welding etc). I've done it myself a few times.
Before I bought, I checked with a couple of places that hire out welders, and most of them had Matweld's, does'nt mean they're the best, but at least they're pretty good. Don't just buy any brand, there are sub-standard 'cheapies' out there
An auto darkening helmet is a must ... I cannot even begin to describe how lekker it is compared to the old type. Just make sure you get one that operates with photo-electric cells and not batteries. Batteries will let you down at the most inconvenient time (when you need them :D ) Look for one that also has settings for darkness, delay and sensitivity :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Riaan, kyk ek gaan jou gou sê nè, ek is nie 'n welder se g@t nie, maar ek weld so bietjie by die huis. Ek het altyd gesukkel met 'n ou olie-weldertjie tot ek onlangs vir my 'n Matweld 200W Inverter gekoop het. Ewe skielik is ek hierdie cool welder, en die beads is mooi en alles, en die besigheid word nie warm nie, en alles is net lekker. Ek ken nie van al die technical dinge soos kraggebruik en stroom trek en stuff nie, maar van 'n "welding experience" point of view is dit 'n groot plesier. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Verder het ek ook vir my een van die "auto-donker" hoede gekoop, en nou kan ek actually sien wat ek doen. Dit maak 'n HUGE verskil. Niks meer geraai waar jy strike nie, jy strike op die spot elke keer, en daai stokkie brand nie meer vas nie... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Kaspaas wrote:Riaan, kyk ek gaan jou gou sê nè, ek is nie 'n welder se g@t nie, maar ek weld so bietjie by die huis. Ek het altyd gesukkel met 'n ou olie-weldertjie tot ek onlangs vir my 'n Matweld 200W Inverter gekoop het. Ewe skielik is ek hierdie cool welder, en die beads is mooi en alles, en die besigheid word nie warm nie, en alles is net lekker. Ek ken nie van al die technical dinge soos kraggebruik en stroom trek en stuff nie, maar van 'n "welding experience" point of view is dit 'n groot plesier. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Verder het ek ook vir my een van die "auto-donker" hoede gekoop, en nou kan ek actually sien wat ek doen. Dit maak 'n HUGE verskil. Niks meer geraai waar jy strike nie, jy strike op die spot elke keer, en daai stokkie brand nie meer vas nie... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys... smaak my jy het toe jou sê gesê :D: :D:

Ek het 'n ou oliebad (erfstuk) en ek moet sê ek het ook altyd gesukkel met stokkie vasbrand enol... tot ek vir 'n slag weer die olie ge-top-up het :oops: :oops: Hy is nou baie beter maar ek dink 'n inverter werk net soveel makliker (gesien hoe maklik Bennie sin werk).
To God be the glory
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

An inverter welder is something that I have to add to my tools soon. For normal use around the house would 160A not be enough?

The cost of a 200A is almost double that of the 160A :shock: How often do you really use the extra 40A :?:

I know with the extra amps you can add the kit to tig weld but then thats extra cost and surely if you wanted to tig it would be better to buy the welder best suited for that application.

I must say thoug, watching the exhaust guys re-route my exhaust, they make it look so easy using MIG welding. There is no "OOPS a big hole in the exhaust" :lol: They just gooi it and it looks fairly neat, even though they weld above their heads most of the time. If only the machines were less pricy.

A mate has a MIG but to use it I have to go to him as trying to cart the bottle of gas around is just not happening (read: bloddy heavy) and then carting all the bits and pieces around to him is also a mission. :thumbdown:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Clarence
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Pipe Car

Post by Clarence »

I got a 200 amp mattweld but i think the best one is the thermodyne. Mine does not work on a 2.5kva honda generator so i think maybe a 3kva might be a little light.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Thanks guys. Matweld or thermadyne it will be then.
ImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

ToyX4 wrote:Thanks guys. Matweld or thermadyne it will be then.
As jy 'n goeie prys kry moet jy laat weet :D:
To God be the glory
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

CasKru wrote:
ToyX4 wrote:Thanks guys. Matweld or thermadyne it will be then.
As jy 'n goeie prys kry moet jy laat weet :D:
Dis die probleem, ek weet nie waar om te loop soek nie. Ek ry netnou skoonouers toe, en more wil ek gaan welder soek in die Krugersdorp area, en my vrou soek n yskas.

Iemand vir my n tip waar ek kan welder soek in Krugersdorp area??
ImageImage
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Cassie,probeer Toolcentre in Benoni.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Addendorf have the Thermadyne 200A for R2995 http://www.tooltime.co.za/ as well as a host of other welding machines.

Have a look here too, the thermadyne was discussed a bit. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2838&hilit=thermadyne

Matweld is available at Builders Warehouse IIRC.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Thanks Scott, saw the one at Adendorf.
Thanks for that other thread, I forgot about that one, onlys saw the recent one from Thys :thumbup:
ImageImage
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

No worries, let us know which one you buy and how much welding you found to do as soon as you got home just so you could try it out :wink:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

legend35 wrote:Cassie,probeer Toolcentre in Benoni.
Waar is die Johan? :twisted: (jy het nie dalk 'n address nie)
To God be the glory
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

Ongelikkig nie maar die tel no is 011 747 1400.Hulle is naby Actonville,selfde straat as Dunlop.
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

legend35 wrote:Ongelikkig nie maar die tel no is 011 747 1400.Hulle is naby Actonville,selfde straat as Dunlop.
Dankie oom :)
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

The cost of a 200A is almost double that of the 160A How often do you really use the extra 40A
It's not just about the extra 40A which as you say is seldom used. It's more about the robustness of the components, The machine is not labouring at 140a for example and the weld is smoother, easier to work and of course the duty cycle is vastly longer. The cost difference is there for a reason and ultimately you get what you pay for. If you can swing it, get the 200a machine ..... you will save in the longterm.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S. The 3KVA genny would be the closer to the minimum size required (as I said dependant on welding amperage being used), so maybe a 3.5KVA would be better. :think:

legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

Cassie,200A matweld is R2591.Praat met Jason.
ImageImageImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Cassie,200A matweld is R2591.Praat met Jason.
That's a very good price! Take it with both hands! :wink:

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

legend35 wrote:Cassie,200A matweld is R2591.Praat met Jason.
Jy steek my hier in die versoeking :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: mmmhhh..... how to explain to Swambo :angel:
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

how to explain to Swambo
Quickly go break something and tell her you simply have to get the welder ,,,, and for good measure include an idle pronise to make something for her or that she can also benefit from. :D:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S. Better still .... tell her you can make something for the babu!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D:

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Riaan,

I got mine (Thermadyne) at Universal Engineering, Ellaton (Old Industrial Sites). Speak to Gary, he will give you a fair deal.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Family_Dog wrote:Riaan,

I got mine (Thermadyne) at Universal Engineering, Ellaton (Old Industrial Sites). Speak to Gary, he will give you a fair deal.

-F_D
thanks uncle, will phone him on monday. Prices in Gauteng is rof!
ImageImage
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

I got a Thermadyne 200A welder with Autodarking helmet, chipping hammer and a pack of 2.5mm welding rods for R2900-00 at Adendorfs last year December.
:thumbup:
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

At Adendorf's they are R2995 for the welder only, at the moment.
Don't know hoe negotiable they are on their prices, but I'll try there as well
ImageImage
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

ToyX4 wrote:At Adendorf's they are R2995 for the welder only, at the moment.
Inflasion :o: :evil:
:thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Just one question, if I wanted to use an say 160 Amp inv welder what seize inverter could one use?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm not sure I understand your question, but an inverter welder already has the inverter built into it and the welders are rated according to their outputs. So a 160 amp inverter welder will be able to weld at 160 amps (or close thereto). :wink:

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Ja I also struggled to grasp the question last night I thought I was just too tired. BTW a 160A will weld superior to a 160A oil bath.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Without doubt, a much smoother weld with better penetration.

Mark, the inverter is DC as opposed to the AC oil bath, and uses the full wave form which is much flatter. The steady stream gives more even constant heat. There is just no comparison and as afore mentioned, a good 160A oil bath transformer type welder, using a 2.5mm elecrode at 120A setting will at best give you a 35 to 40% duty cycle, whereas the inverter is almost 100%. Personally I would recommend the 200A inverter over thye 160A which I consider to be a little limited and more suited to DIY applications. The 200A is by no means industrial, but can hold it's own with many industrial type tasks and is of course employs more robust componentry than the 160A.

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I went out for a pack of Grinding disks yesterday and came home with a 160A DC Inverter Welder (it was "On Sale" enol) :roll:

It's been quite a while since I did any Arc Welding but I've got two Access Control Systems to install this week and a few projects on the van that are gonna need welding :Geek:

After that I guess I'm gonna "find" lots of welding work mos nê :twisted:

One question from the cheap-seats:

If the polarity is interchangeable on these units, how do you determine which polarity is applicable :?:

(Ps.. didn't loose my wallet in the carpark either mos) :P
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

(Ps.. didn't loose my wallet in the carpark either mos)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The polarity is interchangeable being DC, but even DC is directional so you will get a better weld if your workpiece is (+) and the torch is (-) since electricity is a negative entity and flows from - to +.

IIRC my manual said to change that polarity if you have a TIG attachment in place (I think it's so that you don't deposit tungsten from the electrode into the weld).

Have fun with it. :thumbup: :wink:

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Mud Dog wrote: The polarity is interchangeable being DC, but even DC is directional so you will get a better weld if your workpiece is (+) and the torch is (-) since electricity is a negative entity and flows from - to +. :wink:
Tar very much Sir Andrew :mrgreen:

Had a lekker play today, welds beutifully when the rods are 50% and less in length. :mrgreen:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

I'm not sure I understand your question
MD / Bennie, my question is: If I have an 1500 Watt inverter in my vehicle running off a say 105A battery, (not how long I can weld) but would the inverter be able to cope? Or would one require a say 2500 Watt inverter?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Mark I'm not a welder by trade, but I'm almost certain you can weld off it .... how long for and with which size welding rods is another matter .... maybe one of the more experienced guys can assist. As an emergency on a trip it should be just fine I think. :think:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

My welding with an inverter welder is also dodgy (160A I have) cause I only use it every 3 years or so, but when you need it you need it, comes in handy.

I will test it sometime and at say 80/100A I think it should be fine.

Tx
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Try it at 120amp with a 2mm rod and then with a 2.5mm rod on a butt weld with two pieces of 5mm steel (don't bevel the edges) as a penetration test. Cut through the welds afterward to see the depth of weld. Then you'll know what works better. :wink:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Tx MD, will give it a try :thumbup:
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Het jy hom toe getoets, Mark? Ek is oppie punt om 'n inverter welder te koop, en sal graag wil weet. Het die naweek met die oliebad ge-weld wat ek by my Pa ge-erf het- hy't hom in '79 gekoop, en ek moet se, hy het later biekie snaakse geluide gemaak.
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hennie, I think Mark's original question was related to welding with the inverter that he runs off the vehicle battery. The 220v inverter welders are fantastic little machines, and far more efficient than the old transformer type. I use a 200A unit, but even the 160A inverter welder is an awesome tool by comparison to the equivalent in the old oil-bath type. Koop maar, jy sallie spyt weesie! :wink:

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Mud Dog wrote:Koop maar, jy sallie spyt weesie! :wink:
Ditto.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Kaspaas wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:Koop maar, jy sallie spyt weesie! :wink:
Ditto.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Just one question, if I wanted to use an say 160 Amp inv welder what seize inverter could one use?
MD / Bennie, my question is: If I have an 1500 Watt inverter in my vehicle running off a say 105A battery, (not how long I can weld) but would the inverter be able to cope? Or would one require a say 2500 Watt inverter?
I'm not sure I understand your question
Hi Hennie, so I did the test this morning with my 160A inverter welder from my vehicle's 1500w inverter, using 2.5mm welding rod. Vehicle idleing.

1) With the Inv. welder set at 100A - no go! The Inverter cuts out.
2) With the Inv. welder set at 60 - 70A - 100% no problem!

So my guess is, you you require a larger inverter ie 2500w - 3000w to be able to weld at 160A.

Hope that helps :thumbup:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Not a boffin but is a modified sinewave inverter running from your battery not going to damage the inverter welder?

What not trying to weld straight of the 105A battery. Was it Piet Bushwacker who had some posts on here regarding welding off a DC Battery? :? :?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Bennie, I welded for about 15mins non stop, no problem, however at 70A, sure I could have welded longer if I wanted to. Welding directly from your battery also works, as Piet has posted.
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Dankie Mark en die anner manne- ek was lankal oortuig, ek het daai ou oliebad al 'n slag laat werk laat die rook uit hom uitkom, maar wou weet oor die weld van die inverter en/of battery af. (My ou 800w invertertjie gaan dus binnekort 'n groter boetie moet kry)
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"

Return to “Open Discussion”