The 3lt D-4D - so far so good?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Willem Grobler

The 3lt D-4D - so far so good?

Post by Willem Grobler »

It will be interesting to hear from members driving the new diesel Hilux what they think of it so far. How many km, fuel consumption, likes, dislikes, suspention upgrades that works, any problems?
Willem Grobler
Hilux V6 D/C auto 2016
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

D4D

Post by pietpetoors »

I see there is a nice report of an owner with a one year old D4D at:
http://www.overland.co.za/Toyota/Herbie ... dback.html
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Willem Grobler

Re: D4D

Post by Willem Grobler »

Thanks Piet for that link. This is a comprehensive report and very informative. I don't know about you but i get a feeling that the new Hilux is not what we used to and that there is a lot more to do on the car than with the previous 2 models to get it ready for overlanding (except for the powerplant?) and then after that it seems that you must really drive carefully (more than normal) not to damage the car on a trip.

A friend of mine almost lost his second battery after it was fitted in the engine bay. Initially he thought the fitment of the dual battery was improperly done but when he take it back to the fitters they saw that the sheet metal inside the engine bay on which the bracket wass fitted torne off so thin it was!! (this after only 1 trip which was mostly tar).

Is there any feedback on the powerplants (this at least seems like a beauty - both the 2.5 & 3 lt)?
Willem Grobler
Hilux V6 D/C auto 2016
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

New Hilux

Post by pietpetoors »

This is something we will have to learn to live with. There are hardly not any vehicles you can take stock standard from the floor and drive to London. You have to do some mods to make it worth using.

The problem is that the manufacturers claim that 90% or more of the 4x4s are nether used off-road, they are used as babe magnets, shopping trolleys or for the image.

It boils down to the fact that the older real good 4x4s like the Hilux and Cruisers will become an endangered species and we will have to look well after them. We can already see that in the price you pay for an old SFA Hilux. If you get one you are lucky but must be prepared to pay about R20,000 over its resell value.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”