How weird is this..

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

How weird is this..

Post by GI Jane »

On Monday morning, while sitting on the patio I heard a sound inside my garage, my dogs where with me so I knew it could not be them n the garage. Cautiously I walked to the garage a bit worried I might find someone rifling through the stuff in the garage or my Hilux, and found a young dove on the window ledge that was trying to fly out the closed window. So I caught it and placed it on a tree branch in my garden so the dogs could not get it.

This morning I woke up to find a white duck swimming in my pool. The poor duck was trapped under the aqua safety net on top of the pool. Okay so now I have released the net and got the duck out, and now have the duck in my back garden so that my dogs don't get to it. What do I feed this new pet I have?.... Never had a pet duck before...
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Re: How weird is this..

Post by truckin »

Ducks you dont really need to feed ducks they eat snails n worms from your garden, but you can give then crushed mielies as a treat..
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

maybe you didn't get the message...you should build an ark.....check your spam folder(that's where all my important messages go).

PS. pm you address plz(i don't want to be left behind)
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

So you are looking for a qualified ducktor then... hehe
To God be the glory
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Boetie. The duck is wandering around my veggie garden and there's lots of snails there and amongst the clivia so I'm sure it should'nt get hungry. Also threw some bread out for it. Just googled ducks, and they say they are social creatures so I should get some buddies for it.... Only problem is I don't have a pool in my back garden as well, and think my dogs will chomp it if I let it back into the front by the pool. Maybe I should just try and find its original home in the neighbourhood. Or maybe not, they could have been rearing if for Christmas lunch.. poor thing.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Duck | BBC Good Food
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/duck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;‎
Rich, dark and naturally moist, serve this bird in curries, one-pots and roasts.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Hoppy as jy vanaand gaan slaap gaan n wit eendjie vir jou kom spook.... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking: Anyway I can't cook the duck, because I've given it a name already, it's name is "duck", and follows me around, and I found a plastic bath and filled it with water and it is as happy as a pig in....... So 'Duck' just has to meet the dogs..
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

GI Jane wrote: it's name is "duck"
Very original, how did you come up with that? :idea:

You must go and check on Google, maybe the birds is some sort of sign...
...or the Boxers are hungry :razz:
aev@iburst.co.za
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

So let me get this straight...duck is a duck as happy as a pig that has not gone to the dogs.....hehe
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Cool Val! I can't believe there are no photos yet!!! :o: Introduce him to the dogs under supervision. They'll get used to him in time. ;-)

My kids (youngsters at the time) came home with a duckling ..... it was small ..........
IM002711.JPG
(239.52 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
IM002722.JPG
(244.28 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

It was named 'Dudley' by the kids ... no idea why. They fed it porridge and lawn crickets and it grew quite quickly.
IM002754.JPG
(190.22 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
IM002771.JPG
(206.86 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Loved the goldfish pond but for some reaason it never bothered the fish.
IM002867.JPG
(225.79 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
IM002869.JPG
(221.61 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
IM002871.JPG
(192.77 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

Loved the pool too ......
IM002903.JPG
(203.32 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

It fed itself on insects and stuff around the yard, but would often chip in next to one of the dogs and share their food when they were fed. Strangely the dogs never minded Dudley at all. Never got a pic of that, but this one was when I put some pellets on the ground for them while replenishing their food buckets.
IM002907.JPG
(200.48 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

The pool was one of it's favourite places, swimming about, frolicking and diving to the bottom. Dudley could fly, but never flew away ... this was his home.
IM002913.JPG
(193.3 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
IM002914.JPG
(221.87 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
IM002915.JPG
(200.86 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
IM002917.JPG
(199.34 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

He even enjoyed a ride to the shops in the bakkie.
IM002950.JPG
(264.22 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

Dudley used to follow us around like the dogs (I think he had an identity crisis), and he'd come running when someone came out of the house .... probably to see if there was a treat to be eaten.

His last 2 yrs were spent with the geese on the farm because the Boerboel that we took in didn't get along with him. He coupled up with one of the geese and protected her as his property against the other geese (identity crisis perpetuated). He had a character of his own and was often the source of our amusement.

Enjoy 'Duck'! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Found Duck some food at the local petshop, but they don't have any buddies for it. So am going to phone around and see. Okay going to try the boxers with Duck, mmmm the youngest one might try and eat Duck or at least chase it....
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

Ja Aunty Val, if you dont get a home for da ducky, you can bring it with on saterday, then i will take it and put it with my 2 i have, just need to check if its male or female, cause i hav a male and he might just not be to happy sharings his babe :laugh2:
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Welcome to our newest member.. Duck... Donald Duck... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Is it male or female?
The males are more colorful, taller and less aggressive, same as humans...
aev@iburst.co.za
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

I don't know how to tell the sex of a duck. This duck is white, so is the male duck just more white than white, or more colorfully white? I have no way of telling whether it is a tall duck or not because I only have the one duck and nothing to compare it to.. and it is not at all aggressive, in fact it is really friendly, but that could just mean it is a friendly female duck...
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

GI Jane wrote:I don't know how to tell the sex of a duck. This duck is white, so is the male duck just more white than white, or more colorfully white? I have no way of telling whether it is a tall duck or not because I only have the one duck and nothing to compare it to.. and it is not at all aggressive, in fact it is really friendly, but that could just mean it is a friendly female duck...
Is it quite and docile or al over the place and quacking the whole time? If quacking most of time it must be female :twisted:
To God be the glory
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

CasKru wrote:
GI Jane wrote:I don't know how to tell the sex of a duck. This duck is white, so is the male duck just more white than white, or more colorfully white? I have no way of telling whether it is a tall duck or not because I only have the one duck and nothing to compare it to.. and it is not at all aggressive, in fact it is really friendly, but that could just mean it is a friendly female duck...
Is it quite and docile or al over the place and quacking the whole time? If quacking most of time it must be female :twisted:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hilux 1 »

the white ones is usually called quackers, if male it will have a slight curled feather before the tail feathers if no such feather it is female
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

What did it use to get into your yard? a Hilux, a Renault, a Convertible or a Landrover?
aev@iburst.co.za
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Hilux 1 wrote:the white ones is usually called quackers, if male it will have a slight curled feather before the tail feathers if no such feather it is female
Okay "Duck" does have a little curled feather just before its tail feathers, it is docile, but it quacks a lot. So he is a talkative, or quackitive, docile, male duck.... :cooldude: :cooldude: :cooldude: Boxers are very interested in Duck, and have watched him very closely through the security gate, but I dare'nt let them meet yet, not until I have fed my dogs this evening....
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hilux 1 »

feed them some Peeking duck
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

you can always just get a chicken and a turkey too
in 2 months time you can make fresh tenducken
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

JEEPIE wrote:you can always just get a chicken and a turkey too
in 2 months time you can make fresh tenducken
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
With a nice cranberry sause......
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

For a start allow only one dog in with the duck at a time ..... one one, no pack mentality and the dog will be less aggressive. Do this for a few days and then allow them both in with the duck .... under supervision at all times of course. The duck will stand up for himself as well if needs be, but won't be a match for a determined dog.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Now where's the darn pics!! :twisted:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Hoppy wrote:What did it use to get into your yard? a Hilux, a Renault, a Convertible or a Landrover?
If Duck came with a Hilux, feed him & keep him, he's cool, if Duck came with a Renault, it's female, be carefull, if Duck came with a Convertible, it's gay, feed it to the dogs, if Duck came with a Landrover, treat him like an orphan, he's had so much sh t in his life, shame, make him fat then cook him for Christmas.
aev@iburst.co.za
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

The sad reality is that we have all been tagged allong!!

As there is no duck
Its someones imaginary friend

Otherwise we would of had pics by now!! :lmao:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: I am having a proper with my CF card reading when trying to load photo's. Photographed a wedding and think the card reader overworked and now just isnt working now at all.

I was even begin to believe it was an imganery friend myself, because when I went to see that Duck was okay this morning, he was missing in action. He had 'flown the coop' and "NO" in case anyone is wondering my boxers did not get hold of Duck because there are no feathers in the back garden to indicate he was a late evening stack. Anyway after searching the back garden, and reading the post, I quickly looked on my camera LCD, to make sure the shots where there and I had imagined meeting a friend called Duck. So as soon as I can get to an IT shop to get a new card reader, I will download the photo's of Duck, before anyone believes I have totally lost the plot... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

What? Are you duckless again?? :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

ThysdJ wrote:What? Are you duckless again?? :twisted: :twisted:
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Yes it look like it.

I was giving it a lot of thought this morning when I woke up and realised that it was selfish of me to keep Duck by himself, so I had pretty much decided I was going to take him to a big pond in a park near the High school, so he could join the ducks there. My dogs looked like they were more interested in making a meal of Duck than being friends with him. My one boxer dislikes cats and chases them at any chance she gets, so it was risky.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

If you love it set it free.... if it comes back it was meant to be... :clap: :clap: :clap:

if it doesn't hunt it down and kill it.. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

ThysdJ wrote:If you love it set it free.... if it comes back it was meant to be... :clap: :clap: :clap:

if it doesn't hunt it down and kill it.. :twisted: :twisted:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
ROOFER
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

Aah Val :!: its fine we all had imaginary friends at some stage ,some stayed some left .

I know some people have them late in life but thats OK!!!

So there's no pic's we didn't expect any really :!: :!: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

:surrender: :surrender:
kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

ROOFER wrote:Aah Val :!: its fine we all had imaginary friends at some stage ,some stayed some left .

I know some people have them late in life but thats OK!!!

So there's no pic's we didn't expect any really :!: :!: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

:surrender: :surrender:
Just another tall hilux story

Like a fishermen who cought a fish that big
And then the fish got away

:laugh2: :cooldude:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

The duck that got away....
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Thabogrobler wrote:The duck that got away....

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :mocking:
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

Ek het die voël gekry! Hiers hy, die foto. :surrender:
Attachments
goose.jpg
goose.jpg (6.74 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Dis n ander voel daai...lyk glad nie soos die ene in my swembad... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

Sorry Val, die voël het ook gedog hy kan swem en lyk soos 'n duck, maar te veel promosies op die produk gedoen. :tease:
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Okay just so you KNOW that Duck was not my imaginery friend ..... Here are a few photo's

This is Duck, or I should say was Duck
Duck 1.jpg
(64.01 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Duck 2.jpg
(53.78 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
This was definitely not Duck,
Not Duck 1.jpg
(39.72 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
nor would Duck have ended up like this.
Not Duck 2.jpg
(34.68 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Those plastic ducks belong to Lily
Lily.jpg
(70.5 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Just in case you were wondering.....
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hilux 1 »

might be believable if the kids was with the ducks in the bad or playing with it, but as a fill in pic, c'mon Val
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

If I was a duck, and you put me in a pond that small and shallow I would duck off too... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: He probably got cramps in his toes.. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Return to “Open Discussion”