Take Dekra test results with a pinch of salt

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux V6

Take Dekra test results with a pinch of salt

Post by Kykdaar »

I recently sent a vehicle for a Dekra Multi Point inspection. No issues were reported against the impressive checklist apart from a few minor body imperfections (scratches, small dings, etc).

When driving the vehicle, however,i could clearly hear the exhaust "blowing" and two days after the test I got under it with a torch and a small piece of paper to have a look. It took me only a few minutes to find two substantial leaks in the exhaust system. To make matters worst, the end piece of the exhaust where it exits the muffler sat totally loose in the muffler and could be pulled competely out without any effort.

Any person properly checking the exhaust for leaks, or physically checking the mounting rubbers and integrity (condition) of the exhaust structure would have made the same discovery as me.

I have asked Dekra for their comment, but i am not holding my breath.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Re: Take Dekra test results with a pinch of salt

Post by Die$eL »

Does anyone do their job properly anymore?

I'm afraid it extends to more than just Dekra. U can't trust any company anymore.
Real drivers use three pedals
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kykdaar »

Die$eL wrote:Does anyone do their job properly anymore?

I'm afraid it extends to more than just Dekra. U can't trust any company anymore.
Ja, i think you hit the nail on the head.
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

I was also not really impressed with them when I took my vehicle for a RWC. You could clearly see the guy was in a hurry and did not even switch on the headlights or anything, just had a quick inspection outside and jumped into the vehicle and took it for a test drive and came back, all passed!
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kykdaar »

Dewald Posthumus wrote:I was also not really impressed with them when I took my vehicle for a RWC. You could clearly see the guy was in a hurry and did not even switch on the headlights or anything, just had a quick inspection outside and jumped into the vehicle and took it for a test drive and came back, all passed!
Yes - chasing after turnover (whether in number or in Rands) invariably leads to a loss of quality.

They should say that to do a full and proper inspection takes x amount of time and nothing less.

Reminds me of my GP - he gets angry at his receptionist if she books his slots too short as he wants to spend enough time with his patients to offer a proper service. You may pay more than at the Mediclinic, but you get a higher level of personal attention as he is not racing against the clock.
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

well our one rep vehicle (TOYOTA yaris) went for a service recently (at a TOYOTA DEALER)
thay never had a fan belt in stock which needed replacing , they will call when they receive it
now the vehicle is stranded on the side of the road
towing is now in progress
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Fitting a fan belt isn't rocket science ... should have just got a 'Gator' brand belt (probably exactly what the dealers would use) from Midas or Autozone and fitted it yourselves.

Not too long ago I took a vehicle to the local DEKRA for RWC. It was middle to late afternoon, but they told me they were not allowed to do it that day as they had reached their allocation for the day and the system would not accept it. (There were still about 3 or 4 people waiting for their tests at that time). I had to go back the following day.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”