Namibia/Bots

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Namibia/Bots

Post by Scooter »

I'm looking at doing a trip in December for 10 days or so and would love a bit of advice with routes as well as vehicle preparedness.
The idea at the moment is to see Etosha Pans first and then the Okavango Delta. Is there anyone that has done a similar trip or can reccomend a specific route? GPS co-ordinates would be great too.

As for my vehicle, lets just say it is standard and all the equipment still needs to be built or bought over the next few months so some advice as to what, where and how would be greatly appreciated. I will be joining a IFS and a Jeep Sahara (Poor guy) and it sounds like it will be great fun, if I can get my vehicle up to scratch before hand. I wouldn't want to be caught wanting in the middle of the desert. :?

I have maded up a quick list and would appreciate any criticism:
GPS (a must for africa)
Extra sparewheel
High Lift jack
Long Range Fuel Tank
Water Tank (55L/120L)
Fridge
Dual Battery System
Drawer System (I already have a canopy)

Looking forward to hearing opinions, concerns and advice.
Scooter
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Namibia/Bots

Post by pietpetoors »

Hi Scooter, I will post some more comments later, but first of all I think you are making a mistake to go for only 10 days. Nambia is a beautiful country and one tend to always spend more time than you think. My first trip to NAM was 14 days, from the South all the way up to Twyfelfontein and down again. It was one hell of a rush. It will take you at least 2 days to get to Etosha and 2 days to get back, that is already 4 of your ten days gone. At least the heat in December might urge you to finish it in ten days.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: Namibia/Bots

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Pieter I look forward to hearing from you.
Unfortunately we are trying to accomodate work closing and opening dates and that means we have from Friday 21 December to Wednesday 2 January. Not enough time for all the beauty but we will have to make it work somehow.
As for the heat, well, thats another story.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

Return to “Places to go”