TentPro - Reconditioned Dome Tent

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
JJBotes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

TentPro - Reconditioned Dome Tent

Post by JJBotes »

Would this be a good buy ?

http://www.tentpro.co.za/tents/reconditioned/dome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The door looks a bit funny ?
Attachments
recon_dome.jpg
recon_dome.jpg (76.99 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
:thumbup:
KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Hilton
Vehicle: 92 Hilux D/C 2.2 4x4

Re: TentPro - Reconditioned Dome Tent

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

What a horrible tent! I would pay R500 for it.
KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

I paid R3000 for this tent. I have put it up and I was pleasantly suprised at the quality. I didn't have the money for a full canvas but this is a great tent.
Attachments
Rocky Tent.jpg
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

New:
http://shop.adventures4christ.com/produ ... I-BOW.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JJBotes

Post by JJBotes »

Thanx for the replies.

I guess I’ll have to save a bit more for this one :

http://shop.adventures4christ.com/produ ... XIBOW.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

JJ, is jy spesifiek op soek na 'n canvas tent?

Ek kan nooit verstaan....jammer vir die ouens wat dit het, no offence, maar die goed is vrek swaar, vou groot op en as dit nat is....nie lekker om te pak nie.....

'n Goeie nylon soos (Howling moon - 5/6 man - Nebula) http://campworld.campworld.co.za/index. ... &Itemid=81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is vir my 'n goeie opsie. Lig, pak klein op en hou jou droog. Ons het twee wat ons seker al 8jr gebruik en is helfte die prys van die canvas tente. :!:
KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

OOOOMS wrote:JJ, is jy spesifiek op soek na 'n canvas tent?

Ek kan nooit verstaan....jammer vir die ouens wat dit het, no offence, maar die goed is vrek swaar, vou groot op en as dit nat is....nie lekker om te pak nie.....

'n Goeie nylon soos (Howling moon - 5/6 man - Nebula) http://campworld.campworld.co.za/index. ... &Itemid=81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is vir my 'n goeie opsie. Lig, pak klein op en hou jou droog. Ons het twee wat ons seker al 8jr gebruik en is helfte die prys van die canvas tente. :!:
That looks like a nice enough tent depending on the price, if it is less than R2000 fair enough. If you look at the specs of that tent compared to the tent I listed above the material is ultra thin and the floor is only half the thickness. The tent above weighs 22kg so while it is still a bit heavy it is not as heavy as canvass tents with the same covers and poles. The 600denier polyester is pretty thick and prvents too much sunlight from shining in in the morning and also will not rot like a canvas tent. You cant see in the pic but there are three windows and the door infornt so vetilation for both wet and hot weather is excellent. In this tent you could have more than adequate ventilation even in heavy rain. The floor is as thick as the lattice pools you can buy. The poles are 12mm thick so they will not break, all the pegs, which there are plenty are thick stainless steel. The poles for the two side windows and roof section over the door are also stainless steel. There are spare nylon ropes and this tent even comes with a nice rubber mallet. The 600 denier polyester is more than thick enough not to buffet in the wind which is quite important for camping next to dams if you are a fisherman. Best of all is for like an extra R2600 you can get the extension.

I bought this tent from 4x4 Megaworld in hillcrest and it is made by Rocky the same guys who make the sandals.
Attachments
scan0009.jpg
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Cameron, I like the extension :thumbup:

When I last checked they were around R1600. HM have anew range out I saw this weekend in the showroom http://campworld.campworld.co.za/index. ... &Itemid=81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for around R1700 (if memory serves me correct) with the similar specs. Durability of the HM tent has really surprised me and the grounsheet is nice and thick!

Weight / seize to us is of utmost importance. And I am happy with the product :thumbup:
KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

OOOOMS wrote:When I last checked they were around R1600. HM have anew range out I saw this weekend in the showroom http://campworld.campworld.co.za/index. ... &Itemid=81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for around R1700 (if memory serves me correct) with the similar specs. Durability of the HM tent has really surprised me and the grounsheet is nice and thick!

Weight / seize to us is of utmost importance. And I am happy with the product :thumbup:
Ja, good price for a quality tent. Weight not too much of an issue for me but rather comfort even if it rains for a day. I have already destroyed one canvas tent from having to pack it up wet and didn't get to it in time. So I am also not too keen on canvas but I don't like thin nylon for comfort and noise. I think choosing a tent is like buying a car, all things need to be taken in consideration. Budget, erecting speed, weight, weather resistance, comfort, durability and most of all function. If it is just to sleep in then I would go for a thinner nylon, but if you plan on living in the tent over a few days when there is a strong possiblilty of rain as there always is here in KZN then definately a thicker material. Ventilation for me is always a major consideration as we are a family of 4.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Correct :thumbup: Ventilation is prob. a lot of people overlook and very omportant factor when choosing a tent :!:

Good point :wink2:
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

In the near future I will also be in the market for a good ground tent.

I will then also have to make the choice between canvass and nylon. What are the pro's and cons of canvass versus nylon?

The only consideration that I can think of where canvass might have an advantage is when you camp in lion country (unfenced camps in Botswana). With nylon, your silhouette will be visible during night when you have a light on in a nylon tent - which might be tempting for the big "playful" cats. With canvass this is less of a problem.

Any remarks, ideas and suggestions on this will be appreciated

KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

Jaco Versfeld wrote:In the near future I will also be in the market for a good ground tent.

I will then also have to make the choice between canvass and nylon. What are the pro's and cons of canvass versus nylon?

The only consideration that I can think of where canvass might have an advantage is when you camp in lion country (unfenced camps in Botswana). With nylon, your silhouette will be visible during night when you have a light on in a nylon tent - which might be tempting for the big "playful" cats. With canvass this is less of a problem.

Any remarks, ideas and suggestions on this will be appreciated

KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

[quote="Jaco Versfeld"]In the near future I will also be in the market for a good ground tent.

Any remarks, ideas and suggestions on this will be appreciated [quote="Jaco Versfeld"]

My tent is nylon but it is almost as thick as canvass, so I don't think the slilhouette will be an issue. I wanted a canvas tent but found a good middle ground with my tent, not too heavy, none of the drawbacks of cotton like rotting and taking forever to dry. It would take a lion a few minutes to get through my tent but a thin nylon tent it could see and smell you through so it would probably take one second to get through. My tent like most dome tents do take 15+ mins to assemble. If you are setting up camp on a daily basis I think it could get tiresome. I would then trade a bit of comfort for quick setup with something like the oz RV5 tent http://au.oztent.com/products/viewProdu ... oductid=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . 30 seconds to assemble and nice canvas material. I think they are like R6k.
JJBotes

Post by JJBotes »

Hi Mark
Snaaks,ek kom nou net terug vanaf CampWorld . Het so bietjie na hulle tente gaan kyk en ek moet sê ek het baie van die Howling Moon Pulsar gehou.
Dis `n dubbel dome nylon tent met din “Rip-stop” oorhangsel aan die buite kant.

Ek het oorspronklik net na die canvas tente gekyk want soos ek verstaan het was dit die rigting om tegaan as jy die tent baie wil gebruik.

My ondervinding met tente is maar min :
R200 1-man midas tent toe ek single was.
R300 3-man game tent na ek mamma ontmoet het.
B&B’s na my seun se geboorte.

Hi Cameron

I’m definitely going to have a look at 4x4Megaworld tomorrow. . . . .
JJBotes

Post by JJBotes »

:( :? :( Our local 4x4Megaworld only stock Tentco and Bushtech. But I’ll do some more shopping before I buy ……….
KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

JJBotes wrote::( :? :( Our local 4x4Megaworld only stock Tentco and Bushtech. But I’ll do some more shopping before I buy ……….
Silly as when I spoke to the rep from Rocky, when I was looking for more info. He said that these tents were the best sellers in many of the shops they supplied. I think that 4x4 megaworld make the majority of their money from the markups on the products they have the agency for like OME and ARB. I noticed even my local ones supplies where dwindling. I had to order the tent from a catalogue. The service was good but I can't help but think these guys have it too easy at our expense. I am pretty excited about the Walmart deal. My tent was made in china like most things these days and between Rocky and 4x4megaworld and courier charges I wonder what I would have paid if it were more direct?

Return to “Open Discussion”