Front Coil Spacer - Safe?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Trib
Town: Carletonville
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 4x4

Front Coil Spacer - Safe?

Post by Trib »

Hi Guys

I know this topic has been discussed in a few topics already but i am in two minds about the front coil spacer on my hilux. It's an 2008 double cab 3.0 D4D 4x4.

I had 30mm Coil spacers fitted because of the nose hang that the hilux has especially with the ARB bumper fitted. Now it looks a 100 times better and it seems to almost be leveled out with a obvious better ground clearance also. The back is still +- 25mm higher than the front which makes the bakkie looks absolutely awesome like its suppose to look.

BUT....

I know a 30mm spacer is acceptable and safe but the mechanic that fitted them says when the bakkie is jacked up with the front wheels hanging all the way extended in the air, the front CV's seem to hook up on some places. Not sure what he means as i cant fins fault? He recons it's the angle of the CV which is too severe because of the lift and says i will snap / break them when I off-road / 4x4 because of vechicle articulation.

Now i know of a lot of hilux owners who has done this 30mm spacer conversion with no problems whatsoever and also perfectly safe. Can you guys perhaps give me some more insight if this will be safe to use on 4x4 and who has also done this. Im almost sure this is acceptable and should not be a problem?

Your comment would be appreciated. :crazy:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: Front Coil Spacer - Safe?

Post by Donkey »

Trib the reading and understanding I have accumilated so far only speaks good of them, in fact some even say that those angles are within spec, :thumbup:
I am going to install them on the truck and I have other things to pick on and worry about :lol:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

I have a had 16mm spacers in my and my wifes vehicles for more than 2months now. No problems to date.

My bil fitted x2 16mm spacers and also no problems for about 12 months now.

The issue comes in when ou exceed 50mm or so....
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 11 Hilux 3.0D4D Auto 4x4

Post by 007 »

Hi

I've got the 30mm spacer fitted. No problems to date. That the CV etc will bind.... Not possible. The only thing that you move with the installation of spacers is the "at rest" position of you suspension. You don't change the end stop's position or the control arm's positions. Thus.... the suspension can still only travel ibetween the end stops as per original spec... which provent your cv's and ball joints to bind.

The other thing to remember is once you go to 50mm or more, your "at rest" position is closer to the end limit of the suspension and that is not good to have.

Hope this helps

Cheers
3.0 D4D Auto 4x4 - 2" lift, TJM bumper, Cooper STT's, Snorkel :)
CJ5 Jeep 350 v8, 3.5" lift, 33" MTRs
Yamaha quad
Honda CBR1000RR
Lasher Wheelbarrow...STD
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Tx 007, that makes scence :thumbup:
Buffel 1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton park
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D Legend auto

Post by Buffel 1 »

I am also considering fitting 30mm spacers my BF's are catching on the body :naah:

Any Idea of where we get the best pricing :problem: :problem:
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 11 Hilux 3.0D4D Auto 4x4

Post by 007 »

Hi DJ

I got mine from WR Offroad. You can visit their site at http://www.wroffroad.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was at a good price, good quality and easy "how-to-install" manual. It gives you enough lift to tay well within the limits. Just remember to have your allignment redone after fitment.

Cheers
3.0 D4D Auto 4x4 - 2" lift, TJM bumper, Cooper STT's, Snorkel :)
CJ5 Jeep 350 v8, 3.5" lift, 33" MTRs
Yamaha quad
Honda CBR1000RR
Lasher Wheelbarrow...STD
venom38
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: johannesburg
Vehicle: hilux d4d

Post by venom38 »

Your closest Supaquick will fit them quickly and cheaply. Its easier if you are alone or if the only jack that you have is your bottlejack and your highlift
Modder
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: West Rand
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4

Post by Modder »

Also fitted mine at WR offroad.

They do wheel alignment at TWT with the fitment...

No pronlems as yet, but I do check the tension on the bolts every 5000km.
''Life is an adventure! Cheers!'' - Kingsley Holgate
Born to hunt, forced to work!
My hart is die bosveld, maar my gat is in die stad!!!
Buffel 1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton park
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D Legend auto

Post by Buffel 1 »

Ok had mine fitted yesterday at supaquick

Just can not beleive I had to pay 1600 for the kit somebody is getting rich in a hurry :twisted:

At least the BF's are not touching the body any moor and she looks like a girl with a 34 d boob job :yahoo:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

I have 10mm spacer kits available for R250.00 per set. You can either fit 1 x 10mm or 2 x 10mm.

Just send me a PM or mark @ hilix4x4 . co . za

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”