Normal ,Stupid or Brave

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
JJBotes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Normal ,Stupid or Brave

Post by JJBotes »

Normal ,Stupid or Brave

I’ve only done 2 trails and before I do another one I’m going for some training.
I just want to know If the “move” this guy is pulling is normal for this situation or is he being stupid ?
I won’t climb on someone’s rear bumper like that.
Attachments
234.jpg
123.jpg
:thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Normal ,Stupid or Brave

Post by Mud Dog »

That's just plain stoopid! It should never be done in a situation like that ..... having said that I have to admit that I've done this kind of thing often, BUT ... in situations that are safer and easier to control, and then the reason was only briefly to give better traction on the axle that was already on the ground. In any event, it's still not considered a safe practice. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
AM Racing
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

Not cleva. I would have taken a higher line on the left of the vehicle
ImageImageImage
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

Stupid
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NicoP
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7, SFA conversion, 33" Maxxis, 4.5 inch lift

Post by NicoP »

That is stupid. A guy almost died last weekend on baboons pass doing that. He fell under the 4x4 and it was a close call. It almost went over him.
JJBotes

Post by JJBotes »

Thank you for replying.
Thought it was Stupid.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

JJ

Just M2CW, I wouldn't call it stupid, from what I can see in the pics.

Reason I say this is, we all have our 4x4's and love to use them and at some point, most of us will get into a similar type of situation where we are at the point of tipping of our vehicles.

In this case, what do you do? Either we tie ropes to the vehicle and apply a pulling force to prevent it, or if the lay of the land doesn't allow, which appears to be the case here, we add a person to the extreme point to try and counter the roll.

Now I have done this before many times, and as stated so has others.

I'd rather call it dangerous, rather then stupid. Stupid would be appropriate if it wasn't required.

Alot of what we do in our vehicles, could be considered stupid if thaught about, why do we spend good money on vehicles we take a chance of damaging, rolling ect.. just for the rush and fun of it. Take the guy in the pic, he took his vehicle into that situation?

No doubt it is dangerous, and if possible should be avoided at all costs, but sometimes we do what we do cause we want to, and this is the out come.

If I was in that situation, I'd defi not want all the others to think it to be stupid to do that, as then who would help? I'd want help, and I'd explain the dangers of the actions so as to let them decide and be aware of the possible out come.

Cheers
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Maddoglips wrote:JJ

Reason I say this is, we all have our 4x4's and love to use them and at some point, most of us will get into a similar type of situation where we are at the point of tipping of our vehicles.

In this case, what do you do? Either we tie ropes to the vehicle and apply a pulling force to prevent it, or if the lay of the land doesn't allow, which appears to be the case here, we add a person to the extreme point to try and counter the roll.

I'd rather call it dangerous, rather then stupid. Stupid would be appropriate if it wasn't required.

Alot of what we do in our vehicles, could be considered stupid if thaught about, why do we spend good money on vehicles we take a chance of damaging, rolling ect.. just for the rush and fun of it. Take the guy in the pic, he took his vehicle into that situation?

No doubt it is dangerous, and if possible should be avoided at all costs, but sometimes we do what we do cause we want to, and this is the out come.

If I was in that situation, I'd defi not want all the others to think it to be stupid to do that, as then who would help? I'd want help, and I'd explain the dangers of the actions so as to let them decide and be aware of the possible out come.

Cheers
+1
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Zane, like I said I've done this often, but under safer conditions. If it came to a point where one could reasonably assume that doing it would pose a strong probability of risk to life or limb, I draw the line and rather run the risk of damage to the vehicle. Obviously, each situation has it's own unique circumstances an is assessed accordingly. Those that were there will remember me making the suggestion, after which Johannes and I climbed onto the front corner of the bakkie to get Jaco out of this hole in the attached pic. It was all done slow and controlled .... at no time did I feel that we were taking undue risks. ;-)

IMG_5427.JPG
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
krazy_kameleon
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 4X4 2.4 22R (fuel injection in the pipeline)

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Maddoglips wrote:JJ

Cheers
I'm with you Zane - DANGEROUS not stupid
taking obvious precautions to prevent slipping off the rear, getting a good foot holding, good hand grip, anticipating the lock-up etc would go a long way to prevent injury.

If you ever get stuck like that, I'll be on the rear bumper for you :thumbup:
JJBotes

Post by JJBotes »

Ok , so my view now change from stupid to dangerous . But I still don’t think I’ll be able to get myself to do that
:o:

Return to “Open Discussion”