Chirping noise

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Toyfan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 DC

Chirping noise

Post by Toyfan »

Compliments of the season to all.
Hi, this is my first post and have to compliment everyone on the info available on this forum. I was in the market 2 months ago for a 4x4 and my choice of 4x4 brand was not very difficult after reading this forum. I finally settled for a Hilux 2.7i 4x4. When I took her for the first long drive, I noticed a chirping sound which was well correlated with the speed of the vehicle and only after the bakkie was well warmed up.

My diagnostics:
The noise persisted even when holding clutch in (free wheeling) at any speed.
The noise speeds up on acceleration and slows down on deceleration and disappears when stationery. I had the rear diff on stands this morning to reproduce the noise but could not hear anything from under. The centre bearing and universal joints made no abnormal noises. I could only hear the chirping noise from inside the cab which appeared to come more from the front end of the bakkie. When placing my ear closer to the fire wall (under dash) the chirping was clearer.

NB - bakkie got 250k on clock and I also replaced the gearbox oil recently with BOT 130 as recommended on this forum. It really made a difference, smoother gear shifting and quieter.

I am getting frustrated with this problem and any ideas will be highly appreciated.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Chirping noise

Post by Mr_B »

May well be the clutch release bearing!
Toyfan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Toyfan »

Thanks for your reponse. How do I confirm this without taking out the box? The sound is more like a wagon wheel turning with a flat spot. I have noticed that there is no difference in the sound when driving at a constant speed eg 50km/h "in gear" and then "free wheeling" (clutch in). Tonight I will warm her up again and concentrate on the release bearing area. I have heard of a mechanic's stethoscope on this forum... where can I find one in Cape Town? I used a short broomstick but sure the stethoscope will do the job better.
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

Check the front brake pads. Some pad types have a wear tab that starts making contact with disc when the pads are at the wear limit +-2mm. Release bearing will be engine speed dependent and not vehicle speed dependent. Also check for wheel bearing play. (front)
ImageImageImage
Muz
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 Raider, Suzuki SJ413, Landcruiser FJ40

Post by Muz »

Have you got Freewheel hubs? on my SFA, with the hubs engadged, and in 2WD there's a kind of "chirping", which i suspect is the universals on the front Propshaft. If my hubs are in the "free" position, no noise.
Toyfan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Toyfan »

I have the IFS but it cannot be the front wheels as this was on the ground. Only the rear wheel were running (on stands) and I could still hear the noise but not as load as when driving on the road. This noise is definately related to vehicle speed and not engine speed. I think the propshaft spins to fast to create such a noise as per previous post. Thanks guys, have a save great new year, I'll leave this problem for the new year to resolve.
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

I had a similar noise recently on my D4D. It was the centre bearing on the driveshaft. Take the shaft off and do a physical inspection on the centre bearing and uj's
ImageImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

William, try asking the lady friend(wife/gf) to stop talking, if the chirping stops, the cause has been identified... :twisted:

Mr B :blackeye:
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

Mr_B wrote:William, try asking the lady friend(wife/gf) to stop talking, if the chirping stops, the cause has been identified... :twisted:

Mr B :blackeye:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: @ Mr_B. My D4D chirped yesterday as well but it was more like "....oh my word you're going to kill us!!! Stop I want to get out...." Tried turning the radio up but it did'nt help :lol: :aggresive: :blackeye:
ImageImageImage
weskusvrou
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Hilux Raider 1995 SFA

Post by weskusvrou »

It can also be a dry fan belt that causes that noise. Spray any kind of rust oil on it.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Sorry to hijack this tread even further, but how was your trip Dylan ... went to the Sasol station (in Abbotsford) to see you guys off, but there was nobody there ... one of the attendants could not remember any Hiluxes or group of Hiluxes leaving from the station. The day turned out to be a wash-out for me as well. :crazy:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

No we went. It was only myself and my swaar in his Outlander. Well we got halfway up the first hill made a u turn and parked the Outlander. Not enough ground clearance. So everybody jumped in the Lux and off we headed. Well it was fun. Two wives and three kids in the cabin. And a lot of "don't kill us, daddy I want to go home" ect ect....
We started the Scenic route, got lost after the drive down the mountain and then came down the Wild route. I want to plan another trip in the new year minus the family and tackle Diff-lock alley. I will post some pics tomorrow.
ImageImageImage
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I think you need to know that trail a bit before taking it on in the wet. Glad you enjoyed it, like I said, looking at doing a trip early in the new year... you might like to join us then. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

It only rained towards the end. The last 3km's or so. Nothing hectic. There was no one there when we arrived so there were no maps available and the routes are not clearly marked. But I'm always up for a challenge.
ImageImageImage
Toyfan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Toyfan »

Mr B, my wife was not too impressed with your comment, LOL. After celebrating new year and still fueled
with Amstel's. I was not going to give up on the tweety bird in my van. I was determined to save her, the bird
that is. Got my stethoscope and poked her hier en daar en siedaar...... Let's create some suspense in this story.
Untill the next epsisode on Hilux4x4.
weskusvrou
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Hilux Raider 1995 SFA

Post by weskusvrou »

Toyfan - did you try spraying rust oil on the fan belt?
Toyfan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Toyfan »

No, but I did find the problem. What a relief.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Which brings us to the inevitable question....: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Toyfan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Toyfan »

I figured that since I could only hear the noise while in the cab and closer to the firewall that this area is where the problem is.
I then investigated the area on both In and outside of the dashboard area. The only item that had a rotational movement in the
engine bay area that could produce such a noise was the gearbox or speedo cable. I poked with the stethoscope at the speedo
cable where it enters the cab via the firewall and could clearly hear the firmiliar annoying chirping sound. That gave me a helluva
relieved feeling..... rather that than a gearbox problem.
Thanks guys and girls for all the attempts. Will replace it soon.

Return to “The Workshop”