Dream Realised

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
indabundu
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: Looking for a Hilux

Dream Realised

Post by indabundu »

Hi All

With penny's in my pocket I hunted a SFA Lux and just when I gave up hope (went to look at a Defender V8 / 300tdi and Series 3 Landy) I have found my dream wheels.

The vehicle is a 1989 2200 4x4 with station wagon conversion. The motor has 450 000km and still runs sweet, but as I will be based in Botswana from next month I would like to ensure the vehicle remains reliable. I would appreciate any advice on the following questions:

1. To rebuild or replace the current 4y. (the motor seems sound, but it can't go on forever).
2. If replace is an upgrade to the 2.4 a simple change or better off staying with 2.2?
3. How long will an engine rebuild take (I only have next week in JHB).

I will be looking at trips into Moremi/Savute/Chobe and the Central Kalahari - so reliability is very important to me.

I don't mind slow cruising, so no need for major power.

Any assistance, advice or opinions much appreciated!
Matshwane......you Legend!!!!
1989 Toyota Hilux 2200
450 000km and still keeps going strong!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Dream Realised

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Mark,

Congrats on the new acquisition! If the motor is running sweet, then don't touch it... personally I won't fix what ain't broken...

1. To rebuild or replace the current 4y. (the motor seems sound, but it can't go on forever).

When the time comes... a rebuild with quality parts is the way to go, if you are going all the way, a rebore and sleeve is advised, with new pistons... have the head recon'd, using quality pirate parts in ok, but make sure genuine Toyota seals are used for the rear main and timing cover seals(I learnt this lesson the hard way)... get an original Toyota imported head gasket, it's got better water channel protection especially on the no. 4 cylinder where most pirate gaskets tend to blow, else you may as well get a local Payen version... replace all timing gear... have the cam shaft checked, replaced if needed...

2. If replace is an upgrade to the 2.4 a simple change or better off staying with 2.2?
I'd say stay with the 4Y, parts are much more readily available, the 2.4 produces very little more than the 2.2, and is quite a bit heavier on fuel, the 2.2 can be modified easier and cheaper... like fuel injection, brospeed cam, etc... changing to a 2.4 isn't a simple swap... many mods have to be made...

3. How long will an engine rebuild take (I only have next week in JHB).
A proper rebuild will take about a week, depending on parts availability, and your preferred rebuilder's workload, most of the trusted guys are pretty busy, and require 2 weeks or so lead time...

Again I say if it ain't broke don't fix it... for you own peace of mind, have the following tests down ...cooling system pressure test, a HG test, a cylinder compression test, based on the results, you can decided if a rebuild is needed, or a major service will suffice(including timing chain).

Mr B
indabundu
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: Looking for a Hilux

Re: Dream Realised

Post by indabundu »

Hi Oom_B

Many thanks for the advice, I have booked the Lux in to SAC in Midrand on Monday for a full set of tests. I am very tempted to keep original motor and do an overhaul in time, while running an autozone unit for the interim. (It is the changing of engine numbers etc. that really scares me.) Monday should give me a better idea of where the original 4Y is at in it's life.
Matshwane......you Legend!!!!
1989 Toyota Hilux 2200
450 000km and still keeps going strong!

Return to “The Workshop”