To Hilux 3000 4x4 or not to Hilux 3000 4x4

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ivan4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 1999 Hilux 3000 TD D/C AKA die Blou Masjien

To Hilux 3000 4x4 or not to Hilux 3000 4x4

Post by Ivan4x4 »

Hello there

I'm new to the whole 4x4 thing and this website..... I'm a bit of an IT geek and always had a big interest in 4x4’s and Toyota’s (It’s the quality reliability that fascinates me or the warm fuzzy Toyota feeling while doing 4x4)
But since I’m in IT I’m a bit thick when it comes to motor vehicles especially 4x4’s so I just so happen to buy myself the Toyota Hilux 3000D 5L 4x4 1999 model very anxiously “ I think the salesperson saw me coming a mile away at INSPECTACAR Wonderboom…. I bought myself the Service manual as well afterwards to learn everything there is to know about the components and the servicing side of my new Hilux….But now I’m faced with dilemma …..
I should have done my reading up on this Toyota before purchasing it because apparently this Hilux 5L is like the Toyota’s brother in jail. I realized the TD sign on Hilux and asked the sales rep if the TD comes standard with which he agreed to “that pretty much sums up my knowledge on Toyota Hilux 4x4’s… After driving the car for two months the car started to give me issues.
• The starter failed making a grinding sound when turning the key, I had it fixed by Toyota.
• When turning the steering wheel to the most left or right side it sounds like wheel is hitting body
• Front and rear crank shaft is leaking oil (or that’s what SAC mechanic said)
• The gearbox makes annoying rattle sound constantly also vibrating vigorously
• The Turbo cooler airflow pipe above engine has a hole in it.

I asked the Toyota rep about my Hilux and he exclaimed that it’s not the best 4x4 especially with fitted Turbo….A week after that someone broke into my Hilux and stole my 4x4 pump utility bag with service manual inside. “He must have thought it’s a laptop or something” So now after 6 months the starter is doing the same again… And after reading up about this model Hilux on the net I’m a bit sceptical on taking this 4x4 off-road... But I really fell in love with my little big Hilux. The body work still looks brand new and I would like to keep it and nurture it.

So now comes the Questions for all Hilux 4x4 engineers and Pro’s and fanatics
• If 5l engine fails would I be able to install Jap import KZTE or D4D engine in it??
• I bought Prolong for TD Engines but I’m afraid to put it in since I don’t know whether it would stuff up my engine or prolong the life of it since its custom TD via previous owner. I suspect that the motor is too heavy for ignition when starting Hilux cold mornings (Must sound like I have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about)
• Does anyone out there have a Hilux 3000D service manual in PDF or DOC format because I’m not planning to pay another R600 for this manual?” Preferable in Afrikaans or English? Please?
• Would the Snorkel really make difference in my vehicle’s performance or what is it suppose to do except for clean cool air in Engine and would it prolong my engines life?
• What is the recommended oil to use for my Hilux 3000D + T and what brand of Diesel is best to use?
• And last but not least, is it really worth keeping this Hilux or should I rather sell it and get myself a KZTE? “Don’t really want to do that”

This is usually the part where I would tell the customer to take back his computer to where he bought it and buy himself some Lego….. But I would really, really like to know the ins and outs of my Hilux and take it for some awesome 4x4 Trips…
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Ivan4X4
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: To Hulux 3000 4x4 or not to Hilux 3000 4x4

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Welcome Werner :thumbup: :wave:

I'm sure the Diesel Dogs will give you some great advice nou nou :wink:

In the meantime try tickling the SEARCH button with enquires like:

5L
3000D
KZ-TE

There's two years of good stuff on this site :Geek:

but just a word of warning: :o:

This Forum is hellishly addictive :shifty:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Have a look here 1st Werner

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7310
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Firstly a warm welcome to you Werner,and yes we'll have to be honest about your choice of Hilux.This is the model that Toyota wish they never put on the market,and then to make matters even worse,people stuck turbo's to it.If I was in your shoes today,I would start looking for alternatives,but you are already doing that.If you can handle all the idea's and technical info just stay put,cause most of the guys are on weekend,enjoying the mud and water this cold front is bringing.If you didn't pay to much this is a golden opportunity to stick in a long six(a la Spartan). :thumbup:
Ivan4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: To Hilux 3000 4x4 or not to Hilux 3000 4x4

Post by Ivan4x4 »

:eh: Thanks for the reply,, yes I kind of realized that the site is very addictive."very very addictive".. Unfortunatly I have already checked out the link you posted."thanks.... Doesn't really answer my questions... I know its not the best bakkie :( but can I make it a better bakkie :think: .... Thats the Question....???
Werner Smit
AKA Ivan4x4
Lux is not a soap
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Yes we can........make it a beter bakkie,it all depends on how much you are willing to spend.............To be really honest.......the sky is the limit.You will be amazed what can be done.
Ivan4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ivan4x4 »

Thanks Obama :lol: well at the moment my only concern is to make it realiable since this is my only transport but as soon as it is paid of "1years time" I'm going to upgrade my Hilux "IT lingo comming through" ... Still I dont know anything about motor mechanics (need to buy a DIY Mechanincs for dummy's 101 book. Thats why I'm so desperate to find a service manual so I can start getting my hands dirty....
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

I know its not the best bakkie but can I make it a better bakkie .... Thats the Question....???
You are wrong, it is one of the best - It's a Hilux. Sure the motor doesn't last with a turbo fitted but that can be changed :thumbup:

Hang in there :arrow:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Ivan4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ivan4x4 »

Well I need to maintain it so I need to know couple of things...
I bought Prolong for TD Engines but I’m afraid to put it in since I don’t know whether it would stuff up my engine or prolong the life of it since its custom TD via previous owner. What to do??? What to do????

What is best oil to use for my Hilux
What is the recomended Diesel to use since I heard that SA has some of the worst quality Diesel fuel on the Market......
Werner Smit
AKA Ivan4x4
Lux is not a soap
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Ivan4x4 wrote:What is best oil to use for my Hilux
Shell Rotella Dis die beste olie vir n diesel :wink:
hentey wrote:this is a golden opportunity to stick in a long six(a la Spartan).
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: lekker L6 3.0i :thumbup: ons moet joune en snipes sinne so maak :twisted: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ivan4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ivan4x4 »

Ironies... My waterpyp het sopas gebars oppad huis toe. Is daar
water druk probleem of is die pyp net bietjie oud?
Werner Smit
AKA Ivan4x4
Lux is not a soap
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

This Topic had been posted twice, so of course I replied to the "wrong" one. Then I found this one where everyone else had posted. So, a bit of "Copy & Paste" while I delete the dupkicate posting...

---

Hi Ivan4x4 and welcome to the forum!

My business partner had a 1999 3000D (5L) engine and he fitted an Alpine Turbo to it at around 88,000km. And that's where the troubles began...

He blew the head gasket at just under 100,000km on an open road, not pushing it. The head was skimmed and the gasket replaced. He sold the car. The second owner had head issues again within a year, not sure of the mileage.

Guess what I'm saying is that the 3000D engine and a Turbo do not go hand in hand, I would remove it if it was my vehicle.

I do not think the starter problem is a norm for this vehicle, you might just have been unlucky.

As far as I know, the 3000D and the KZTE engines share the same sub-chassis with different heads, so you would probably be able to fit a KZTE motor if you wanted to and possibly even a D4D motor too. Not sure about the electrics, though.

Not much help I'm afraid, but I'm sure others with more diesel knowledge than I will chip in. Might take a while though, the Diesel-heads on this forum are a bit slow... :twisted:

Finally, have a look at the Workshop Manual threads at the top of this forum, you might find something suitable there.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Family_Dog wrote:My business partner had a 1999 3000D (5L) engine and he fitted an Alpine Turbo to it at around 88,000km. And that's where the troubles began...
Een fout wat die ouens doen is om die water op die turbo te koppel, daar is dan plek vir dit, dit is vir lande waar hulle koue temprature het, by ons in SA het jy nie die water op die turbo nodig nie jy maak n geyser van die spul. Die 5L in my opinie is n dud en ek glo Toyota weet dit. :thumbdown:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

The 5Las used in the Hilux 3000D was not that successful, yet TSA used that same engine in a later model Condor, and all reports I've heard there were good. Don't know if they changed anything, but I've never heard of a 5L fitted to a Condor having given any problems whatsoever. The 3000D fitted to a Prado did have a different head, might be worth your while investigating this option if need be.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Hill Billy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannnesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 3000D

Post by Hill Billy »

Hi I

I have one of those 3000D and I'm happy with it (non turbo).

It's not so fast, but I enjoy the scenery.

I've had a few problems, but not with the motor. In the beginning it smoked a lot, but since taking it to SAC it's gotten better with an improvement in power and drivability.

I get about 7.5-8.2 km/l, no matter how I drive.

If the motor goes I’ll do a KZT without the E (electronic fuel injection), thus will keep my old fuel pump. I’m trying to stay away from as many electronics as possible, want to drive a Bakkie and not a computer….. :lol: OR else I’ll just stick a new 5L in it….. :crazy:

You must enjoy whatever you drive.... thats half the fun, the other half is to recover LANDROVERS :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Hill Billy on Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hill Billy
Hilux 3000D
MIKEM Suspension
And Other STUFF
Ivan4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ivan4x4 »

Sounds exactly what I would like to do , but first I would like to disable or remove Turbo…Also trying to keep off the computer chips, I have enough computer issues at work “since I work with IT Hardware”
I think the Turbo on my 3000D is causing my mileage to be lower on tank of Diesel than the average 3000D…. What did the guys at SAC do to your 3000D ??? I had my Hilux there and asked them to optimize it..but still low mileage….
Werner Smit
AKA Ivan4x4
Lux is not a soap
Hill Billy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannnesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 3000D

Post by Hill Billy »

They did a stage 1 conversion, basically it is just setting everything up so it runs as good as it can and some exhaust changes.

I put my "dayna tunes" - graph under the relavant topic, think it should be there on page 5.

I think stage 1 was worth it, but I won't take my Bakkie there again for a service - it was serviced twice in less that 2 months (3000km) .... but that's my own little story. I now need a new mechanic. :thumbdown:

I didn't see much on the fuel economy side, maybe my 260 000km has something to do with it. Got 0.5-1km/l better, so not much of a difference there, but the increase in power is nice and it is through-out the rev range and gears. I can actualy feel the diffrence, but maybe it's cause there was not much to begin with. :D:

I got a Hayens manual for R400 and it does help. Hasn't got everything you might ever want, but its good.

Just check what you're waranties (motorite/sa warrenties ect) require ito servicing ect.
Hill Billy
Hilux 3000D
MIKEM Suspension
And Other STUFF
Ivan4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ivan4x4 »

This is the last month of warrenty, so now I'm planning to service my car myself....R800 instead of R4000. "getting married end of the month cant afford it".. Is your service manual in digital "CD" or analog "booklet" format ?? And how can I obtain it from you?? I'll buy you a 6 pack beer or Brandy or something for your trouble....
Werner Smit
AKA Ivan4x4
Lux is not a soap
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

You will not listen to me now, I know, but you will think of it later, forget the marriage thing and spend your money on your bakkie it is far cheaper :twisted: :lol: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Ivan4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ivan4x4 »

I would like to remove turbo but cant afford it now....But here is the question...If Toyota added the AlpineTurbo's to the 5L's isnt it their responsibility to have it removed because its defective on long run?? If I sold you a product with a defective component then I would have replacement procudure to rectify my F-up...... I'm not really sure who did the conversion on my Hilux, I'm starting to believe it was Toyota..... Just a thought.....But thanks for the advice...and she's not russion Bride, she is European African (of 'n lekker boere vrou in Afrikaans) Got the looks, low maintenace and great for the long run, just like Toyota Hilux.....
Werner Smit
AKA Ivan4x4
Lux is not a soap
klippe
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bronkhorstspruit
Vehicle: 2.5 D4D SRX 4x2

Post by klippe »

Welkom Werner
Ivan4x4 wrote:Got the looks, low maintenace and great for the long run, just like Toyota Hilux.....
Onthou even met 'n Hilux, hoe ouer die model hoe meer krapmerke en stampe is daar en die maintenance word maar deur die jare se gebruik meer en meer:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D: :D:

Ek ry 2.8 D en die is ook maar 'n regte donkie, maar ten minste is dit my donkie, al wat gebeur is as jy saam met pelle gaan ry teen die tyd wat jy by die bestemming kom is jy dalk een bier agter......... :shock: Nie so groot probleem nie want jy kan ten minste praat van al die goed wat jy langs die pad gesien het en hulle nie :twisted:
99 hilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 1999 d/c 3000D

Post by 99 hilux »

When i sold my Carrola to buy a 4x4 i wanted a Hilux because i was happy with toyota. I had no problems with my 2 cars.
I too bought not doing any reserch on the different engines.
I was drawen to my 3000D because it was a 1999 with 126 000km and full service history.
I am lucky because it only does 1 trip a month on tarr..
It feels unstoppable off road, i am very happy with her and driving at 100km/h is far safer..
It has no turbo, wich has made me enjoy the journey with not a single speeding fine.. unlike my carollas..
I think if i lived in a town the slower engine would bother me but on gravel and off road i could not be happier..knowing it will never give me problems..
Good luck
Darryn
Ivan4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ivan4x4 »

Thanks Darryn

I spoke to one of the mechanics at toyota today. He said that I should'nt
worry too much about the Turbo scenario as long as I idle my Hilux for couple
of minutes after driving it and don't puch it too much on open road
"keep speed below 120km/h" - don't mind driving 115km/h" so now I'm going to
keep it as is until engine goes then I'll look at jap import. Still looking for a service
Manual. If you know someone out there "hope benhur is reading this article "
Werner Smit
AKA Ivan4x4
Lux is not a soap

Return to “The Workshop”