5L turbo motor overheating

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
devilliers
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux 3.0 td

5L turbo motor overheating

Post by devilliers »

The problem i have is that my motor overheats and exhaust gasses present in radiator pipes and resivior. The motor has just been done everything fitted new. The head and the block both been pressure tested and no leaks found. The turbo has also been serviced
Could I have fitted the wrong head gasket I only found out after my problem that the turbo and normal 5L gaskets are different.
The head was taken back for more testing and still no leaks.
Can someone please give me some help on this matter.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 5L turbo motor overheating

Post by Family_Dog »

The 5L motor does not take kindly to an aftermarket turbo and is prone to over-heating as a result thereof. You should consider dumping the turbo to get the maximum life out of your engine which will then also run a lot cooler.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

devilliers
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux 3.0 td

Post by devilliers »

it is not an aftermarket turbo but the factory fitted that toyota brought out the 3.0 td
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Still aftermarket. Toyota contracted Alpine to install Turbos on new vehicles for them to counter the other TDs of the time, but they were still not genuine Toyota designed units. Same comments apply. Not one of their better success stories.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Ivan4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 1999 Hilux 3000 TD D/C AKA die Blou Masjien

Post by Ivan4x4 »

Ive already asked this question on my post .... but here we go again.....If Toyota added the AlpineTurbo's to the 5L's isnt it their responsibility to have it removed because its defective on long run?? If I sold you a product with a potential faulty component, I would have replacement procudure to rectify my F-up...... I'm not really sure who did the conversion on my Hilux, I'm starting to believe it was Toyota as well...... Just a tought...
Werner Smit
AKA Ivan4x4
Lux is not a soap
Ivan4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 1999 Hilux 3000 TD D/C AKA die Blou Masjien

Post by Ivan4x4 »

If Toyota added the AlpineTurbo's to the 5L's isnt it their responsibility to have it removed because its defective on long run?? If I sold you a potential defective product then I would have replacement procudure to rectify my F-up...... I'm not really sure who did the conversion on my Hilux, I'm starting to believe it was Toyota as well
Werner Smit
AKA Ivan4x4
Lux is not a soap
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Ivan4x4 wrote:Ive already asked this question on my post .... but here we go again.....If Toyota added the AlpineTurbo's to the 5L's isnt it their responsibility to have it removed because its defective on long run?? If I sold you a product with a potential faulty component, I would have replacement procudure to rectify my F-up...... I'm not really sure who did the conversion on my Hilux, I'm starting to believe it was Toyota as well...... Just a tought...
Hi Werner,

Are you the first owner? If not, I don't think you'll have much recourse. IIRC not even first time owners with vehicles still under warrenty got much joy. One option would be to dump that motor, get one from one of the Jap engine importers and fit that (one without the turbo). Otherwise fit a 2.7. Or even a KZTE???

Good luck.

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Werner

As much as I'm not a Diesel Fan enol..... :shifty:

Those 3.0 KZ-TE's run lekker; I drove one today - heaps of speed and torque :thumbup:
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:( hi, I feel for you, i also had my concerns. I think with yours they tried to get to much power out and that is where the mess came.
Mine runs low pressure, like the altitude compensator on the isuzu 250d.

When i bought mine, I checked around for standard engines prices, to know what I was in for(worst case secnario). Luckily all i have spent is on everything except the engine. That is how you learn.

kzte is the nice option, but pricey. A standard engine, if you are not a speed freak, is adequate and low cost. If I have major hassles with mine i will go standard engine, but the 30d :wave:
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage

Return to “The Workshop”