SFA OEM Spare Wheel Carrier

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

SFA OEM Spare Wheel Carrier

Post by dax021 »

Does anyone maybe have a drawing of the original underbody spare wheel carrier mechanism please? A couple of days ago I eventually got round to replacing all 5 tyres and battled to wind the spare down. There seems to be a plate that is jambing the chain and I'm not sure if it has broken loose from the top section, or how it's supposed to work. I have searched online, but can't find anything and my manual doesn't show it either. Appreciated, thanks, Peter
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Re: SFA OEM Spare Wheel Carrier

Post by dax021 »

Ok, not to worry, thanks. I removed the whole assembly and now that I've removed 30 years of dirt roads and grease, it is quite obvious how it works. The plate in question clips onto the bracket section and is just a type of cover. Mine had come off and was preventing the chain from unspooling. I have wire brushed it all and it is lying in a bucket of degreaser to get all the gunk off. I will high pressure clean it, treat it with some cold galv, spray black, then grease and assemble. Hopefully will be as good as new again.

Return to “The Workshop”