Brake light keeps blowing D4d.

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Brake light keeps blowing D4d.

Post by Reinart21 »

Good day gents,

As the heading states, one of my rear brake lights on my D4d keeps on popping, I have replaced it twice in as many months, once with a bulb from midas, and once from toyota stealer.

It is a 2011 model, but the latest facelift. So the brake light holder/mold looks a bit different than the previous models.

Guys, what can I have a look at? It's always the same one, left rear brake light that pops.

And to drive around with one light dead really does look like the vehicle not being taken care of... :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
Last edited by Reinart21 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Break light keeps blowing D4d.

Post by Mr_B »

Rather use brake lights! :twisted:

Then, hopefully, the brake lights won't break! :angel:

:tease:
Dutchie
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Dutchie »

Check your trailer.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Dutchie wrote:Check your trailer.
No trailer involved, this is just normal town driving.

I have towed the boat once or twice in the last couple months, but as far as I remember, not since I replaced the "BRAKE" ("won't be making that mistake again :lmao: :lmao: ") light the second time with a bulb from toyota.
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Re: Brake light keeps blowing D4d.

Post by Big D »

Reinhart, Check that the globe is not loose in the socket / "holder". It needs to be a solid connection.
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Brake light keeps blowing D4d.

Post by Mud Dog »

Check all connections, socket and earth included. If you have a poor connection that is intermittent or arcing, this will dramatically reduce the life of the bulb. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”