KZTE Tappet cover gasket replacement help and advice please

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

KZTE Tappet cover gasket replacement help and advice please

Post by WayneMan »

There is a little seapage or sweating of oil at the rear of the tappet cover so i want to remove it, clean it and then replace it, but need advice on what and how to do it.
Removing that steel thingie that goes across the tappet cover seems complicated. Is it necessary to remove it? It doesnt look like it requores removal. Im thininking that i just need to remove the black air intake pipe and i woild be able to slide the tappet cover out from unddrneath.
Any recommendations or suggestions?[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1421486080477.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1421486080477.jpg
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Re: KZTE Tappet cover gasket replacement help and advice ple

Post by louis fourie »

Mine does not have the steel thingy:mrgreen: (plenum pipe). You can try to remove it as you have described. If that does not work you will have to remove it. It has square o-ring between the plenum pipe and throttlebody and a gasket below the throttle body. The studs each has each a gasket type washer. I have replaced all of these when I still had it. It is not complicated at all.
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Post by WayneMan »

Thanks
Do i need to replace these gaskets and o-rings on the plenum / throttle body if i have to remove the plenum ?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

In my experience (and this does not include the KZTE) it is necessary to remove everything above the tappet cover as there is very little clearance between the cover and the camshaft/ bearing caps, normally much less than the height of the side of the tappet cover so sliding it out from under there is probably not going to work but I may be wrong.

It is always advisable to plan for the worst and to get new seals and O-rings. It may not be necessary to replace them but seeing as you are going to do the work anyway and will be replacing the tappet cover seal which is leaking due to old age you may as well replace the other seals and take comfort in the knowledge that they are also new now.

Return to “The Workshop”