Chinese 4Y vs original rebuild (Again)

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: '89 Hilux DC

Chinese 4Y vs original rebuild (Again)

Post by Sven »

Had an interesting conversation with a Hilux SFA owner today travelling back from his Mozambique holiday with towing A-Frame attached to the front of his vehicle which was again attached by a ford in front of that. The interesting thing is that i asked him what had happened and he told me his 4Y engine seized. Problem is that he replaced his Original 4Y motor at
700 000km with a complete Chinese 4Y which only lasted 3000km before seizing, and the main reasoning was to put a new motor in for reliability. So now i really don't think i would go the chinese 4Y route, just doesn't seem worth it anymore, especially since the price of a "good quality" 4Y isn't any cheaper then a good quality rebuild.
'89 hilux D/C SFA, import spec.4YImageImageImage
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Re: Chinese 4Y vs original rebuild (Again)

Post by LouisZ »

don't agree fully.

depends if you re torque the head after 1000kms. mine got 70 000kms on, no trouble
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

Im just worried Louis, I'm sitting in a position where i will need to make the decision between the 2, Here in Nelspruit it seems Alert engine parts have the better looking 4Y engine, at close to R17k, I'm not sure if its a cheaper option anymore, one thing they can't seem to tell me is where it comes from, they presume its China. its R11K for HBS which was what i was looking at doing and attaching my better quality parts onto that. where did you buy yours from? the other thing is that Alert Doesn't seem to have one standard manufacturer, they also seem to "shop" around (max profits)
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Bought mine from Midas some 5 years ago, it looked better than the ones sold by Autozone, which were a bit cheaper. But these are made by various factories in China and at the time, I think I got one of the better ones. Quite happy with it.

I have since had the original 4Y overhauled as well, but I really do not have that much confidence in the chaps who did it here locally. Ideally, I would have shipped it to Hoppy in CT for a decent job, so that is something you could consider as well.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Jaans
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2005 4L V6 DC Hilux; Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 M/T

Post by Jaans »

Biggest mistake I have ever made with my SFA was when I installed a Chinese engine after I damaged the crank on the original. My suggestion is if you can find someone then can do a good job overall the Toyota enige.
1 Kor 1:18 " Die boodskap van die kruis van Christus is wel onsin vir die wat verlore gaan, maar vir ons wat gered word, is dit die krag van God."
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Mine is from China, straight out the GWM (look at the photo) factory, Engine Den import the like that. Last price was R9000(price estimate) for the Head, block and sump. All you need.

One forgets sometimes it is a new engine and drive it tooo hard. You have to drive it in for at least 1000km. Same for an overhauled engine, I don't care what others say about that but it should be done.

If you decide to overhaul, test the block and head for cracks 1st.
Attachments
Score!!!.jpg
Score!!!.jpg (76.41 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Mine have done 55k and no issues at all.
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

Louis, just from that small image yours looks well made, nice looking casting, you say thats from engine Den? yeah i would also only go H.B.S., maybe i should just take the plunge
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:Mine is from China, straight out the GWM (look at the photo) factory, Engine Den import the like that. Last price was R9000(price estimate) for the Head, block and sump. All you need.

One forgets sometimes it is a new engine and drive it tooo hard. You have to drive it in for at least 1000km. Same for an overhauled engine, I don't care what others say about that but it should be done.

If you decide to overhaul, test the block and head for cracks 1st.
Just remember to replace the carb, altenator etc. The rest is quite solid.
Sent from my iPhone
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

From what I understand the cheap chineese sh1t has a * before the engine number and original y series not.This was told to me by an importer ?

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”