Gearbox on SFA

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Onza
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Zeerust
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.8d 4x4 S/C

Gearbox on SFA

Post by Onza »

Hi I drive a sfa hilux and I did the gearbox a while back and when I refitted it it started singing in all the gears except 4 and reverse is there anything I can add to the oil to stop that or something plz. let me know.
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Re: Gearbox on SFA

Post by Baasvark »

Did you do it yourself or did you have it done?
Was there oil in it to start with?
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

An oil additive isn't likely to solve the problem - might quiet it down a little but the box hasn't been done properly. Take it back to whoever did it. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Onza
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Onza »

I had it with someone in Klerksdorp and when we got it back it started to sing the first time I drove it.
Yes it had oil in, the fourth gear was broken and then I took it to him
Onza
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Onza »

The problem is I am almost 300 km from him and the vehicle is working every day and I don't have another vehicle
ôita
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Piet Retief
Vehicle: 1994 Toyota Hilux D/cab 4x4 SFA, 3RZ conversion,TrailGear Duel Transfercase with 4.7gear,Front & Rear Difflocks,2" Lift,OME & Mikem Suspention,Snorkel,L/R fuel tank, 32" M/T tyres, my son in the passenger seat

Post by ôita »

I think the guy who did it would no longer be of any help to fix it. And if I was you I would not even take it back to him as he was not even able to fix it the first time. Count you losses and rather get someone locally to have a look. Surely there must be someone around who should be able to help......The part where you have no other transport.....sorry (phone a friend)

Good luck
"Stronger than a New Zealand Kauri tree and, as we found out, virtually indestructible, the Hilux is an unapologetically manly car." - Top Gear Verdict
Kaspaas
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

ôita wrote:I think the guy who did it would no longer be of any help to fix it. And if I was you I would not even take it back to him as he was not even able to fix it the first time. Count you losses and rather get someone locally to have a look. Surely there must be someone around who should be able to help......The part where you have no other transport.....sorry (phone a friend)

Good luck
Ditto, best advice.....
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Sound like the person doing the gearbox might have got the spacing etc ever so slightly wrong.

It could also be that he filled it with the wrong type of oil
To God be the glory
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Kaspaas wrote:
ôita wrote:I think the guy who did it would no longer be of any help to fix it. And if I was you I would not even take it back to him as he was not even able to fix it the first time. Count you losses and rather get someone locally to have a look. Surely there must be someone around who should be able to help......The part where you have no other transport.....sorry (phone a friend)

Good luck
Ditto, best advice.....
+1 !
I'm in a similar situation. Used the local "experts" and ended up wasting my money. It has been back several times but I have come to the conclusion that they just don't have the ability to sort it out. The fight is not worth the blood pressure implications :evil:

So in the new year I will start looking out for someone that really knows what they are doing!

It hurts but it is what it is.
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Onza
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Onza »

Thanks for all the replies I will try to get someone who knows what they are doing.
richardo1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: 1988 SFA 4x4

Post by richardo1 »

Naand manne

Gee my 'n luitjie dan kan ons gesels oor julle ratkaste myne is nou oop soos oms praat

0seven9 nine3zero 9two2six

:acute: :dance1:

Return to “The Workshop”