Replacing 3y with 4y copy in sfa 4 runner

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brisbane Australia
Vehicle: 1985 4 runner sr5 3y engine

Replacing 3y with 4y copy in sfa 4 runner

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Hi Guys ,
Looking for latest or any advise from users . Should i use Distributor old one is points . Carby is old one better . Starter motor etc . Fitting soon . Thanks Russell .
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=18665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No one has ever made it out alive yet .
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Replacing 3y with 4y copy in sfa 4 runner

Post by The Legend »

Hi Russel

Yip use all the old parts you mention on your new engine.They are much more reliable than the ones on your new engine.
Why not shopping around for an 2nd hand original Toyota electronic dizzy?
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Hi Dawie ,
You have 2.2 copy motor . How long ?
Thanks Russell
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Russel
I am not the 1ste owner of the bakkie.I bought it in 2010 with 268000 km on the clock.Stands now on 302000 km and does not use any oil between services.

Yip it is the origal 4y 2.2 motor.

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Only thing I do now while the motor is still out change the rear crank seal with an OE Toyota one, my 4Y is a copy and it started to leak oil at 41 000km.
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Thanks Louis ,
Will try to get my best to get one Saturday morning . Time running short engine going in in two days . New engine is complete engine clutch.alt/carb /dist etc .. Should i keep electronic distributor or put old points disy back in . Thanks Russell
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Keep the Electronic Dizzy.
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Thanks will use Electronic Distributor . Have mate picking up new rear main seal . Will start changeover tomorrow afternoon .
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Hi Guys ,
Had some corrosion in water jackets . Thankfully all else looked fine went well . Pictures of my stripped old 3y . Left over parts from 4y engine . Mechanic on looking at quality of parts we used old clutch/ pressure plate/starter .. etc , Keeping old Alternator for spare .
First runs strange tick noise just above idle .Doesnt sound serious might just bed in yet . Driving home engine was running warmer than im use too on temp gauge . Normaly below halfway . Was above halfway . Pulled over radiator engine felt ok ... So early days even hours minutes yet . Fingers crossed .

ps . On changeover Electronic dizzy was wired up , rear main seal was replaced .

Thank you guys for your help Russell ... :clap:
001s2.jpg
Attachments
005s2.jpg
005s2.jpg (174.59 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
003s2.jpg
003s2.jpg (119.59 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The Ticking sound is something I would keep close tabs on ... it may as you say just be something that will still bed in, but to my mind it's not normal, even with a new motor. It could also be a sticky hydraulic lifter, but you should hear that at idle as well. Temp is normally halfway on the gauge but the gauges are not entirely accurate, nonetheless, I would keep a close eye on that too.

Here's hoping that all goes well. Enjoy! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Hi Andy ,

Kinda having kittens .
Have been busy today . But took car for short run . Noise has increased . Im only a layman but suspect water pump bearing .
Taking car too mechanic in morning . Hunch pehaps corrosion in water pump as well as jacket i pictured ..
Seems to me noise from that area . Fingers crossed again .
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Hi Guys ,
Took car too mechanic this morning . He doesnt think noise is anything serious . Will go over tighten manafolds etc on 1000klm service . [Noise does annoy me at back of my head though ] . F ...hope it goes away ..

Engine performing fine otherwise . Brisbane Australia has lots of hilly roads . Enjoying that extra power/torque . :lol:

Yes i am
This is my third hilux and ive had this one over 20 years . If engine does me right another 10 years before i let this car retire . mmmmmmm Maybe :shh:
:shh:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Hmmmm .......... that doesn't sound good, especially if it's getting worse. The motor should be pretty quiet IRO mechanical sounds. I would get some more opinions. (Hope it's not timing chain.)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Thanks MD .
Agreed should be quiet . I hear sounds noises in my head all the time but i wouldn,t tell lies too you guys :razz:

Will try too get another opinion after work tomorrow . I can try to do video /sound with my kodak for opinion from you guys too .

:crazy: Let u know ... Russell the guy with squeeky sound 4y downunder ..

Ps ..Sound is only when above idle between 1000/2000 rpm . on acceleration .Not from backing off . Timing chain noise i hope not but makes sence . So far noise echos seems from top . Will let u know soon .. :slap:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Just a thought after your last comments ..... is it not pinking? How far advanced is your ignition timing set? :think:

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

If its pinking you will only hear it under load. My vote would be for valve lifter. Did you use the old temperature sender unit on the new engine or did you use the one that came with the engine? If so then you should not expect to see the exact same values. If you used the old one it should be very close to the same. Using a mechanics stethoscope could really help isolating the noise.

Is the new engine a brand new "crate engine" or was it used before? I'm assuming the latter due to the corrosion. It might be that the thermostat is sticky. I would replace it simply as a matter of caution.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Mars wrote:If its pinking you will only hear it under load. My vote would be for valve lifter. Did you use the old temperature sender unit on the new engine or did you use the one that came with the engine? If so then you should not expect to see the exact same values. If you used the old one it should be very close to the same. Using a mechanics stethoscope could really help isolating the noise.

Is the new engine a brand new "crate engine" or was it used before? I'm assuming the latter due to the corrosion. It might be that the thermostat is sticky. I would replace it simply as a matter of caution.
That's true, and in a manner of speaking, that's what he's saying is happening ..... in the low rev range under acceleration ... the motor strains a bit in low revs as it picks up .... once it climbs the torque curve the strain is less and the pinking goes ....

It's just a thought .... :think:

4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Hi Guys ,
Had a long day . Tis night here now . Will try to get Video done tomorow after work .
Re engine . As far as im aware . brand new . Had too put thermostat in hence found corrosion . Temp senser left unchanged . So perhaps this explains high reading on dash gauge yet engine seems fine .
Hopeing video will give best indications of problem . :thumbup:

Russell
Mars

Post by Mars »

No I am not disputing your post Andy. I agree. If he lets it labour he will clearly hear an increase in the noise if it is pinking and it may help him to isolate the issue. One should always try and eliminate the easy issues like ignition timing first.

Russel, I hope the mike on your video camera is good enough to pick up the noise adequately. Good luck
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Mars wrote:No I am not disputing your post Andy. I agree. If he lets it labour he will clearly hear an increase in the noise if it is pinking and it may help him to isolate the issue. One should always try and eliminate the easy issues like ignition timing first.

Russel, I hope the mike on your video camera is good enough to pick up the noise adequately. Good luck

Unfortunatley Camera mike turned out awful . Trying to get hold of second opinion mechanic friend too diagnos . In meantime thanks guys for great input :thumbup: . Will let him know of your suggestions .

ps . Noise has changed seems i have trouble getting it to make ping noise in neutral . But drive it normal like . Makes pings above idle to about 2000rpm . The engine drives perfect smooth etc through the noise . :crazy:
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Torque the head to correct torque setting.

The water is what they used to pre start the motors when they off the manufacture line. They dont drain the water off completely and that could have caused the rust that you see. Just flush the motor. Then the ticking noise can be either a lifter that is sticking or like other say the timing, set timing nothing higher than 8-9 degrees, even start on 6 degrees and set it just before it pings under load.

With a lifter on can dry to run it in or even take them out and let them lay in a bottle of oil for a day or so, check the lifter rods aswell if the hole in them is not blocked.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Another thing. If the timing is advanced too far the engine is also going to run hotter. The moer I think about it the more I'm inclined to say your timing is too far advanced.
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Thanks Guys for excellent post :thumbup:
My mechanic friend feels engine safe as is too run till 1000klm service .
He thinks pinging is timing . Perhaps playing with this , fuel mixtures if need be .
As i run premium fuel have near full tank . He suggested to fill at quarter tank with regular unleaded .
See how it goes from there till i get mileage up for service . Russell ..
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:Torque the head to correct torque setting.

The water is what they used to pre start the motors when they off the manufacture line. They dont drain the water off completely and that could have caused the rust that you see. Just flush the motor. Then the ticking noise can be either a lifter that is sticking or like other say the timing, set timing nothing higher than 8-9 degrees, even start on 6 degrees and set it just before it pings under load.

With a lifter on can dry to run it in or even take them out and let them lay in a bottle of oil for a day or so, check the lifter rods aswell if the hole in them is not blocked.
Its got two mechanics stumped . Next month let you know . Russell .
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Puzzle nearly fixed over past 18 months or more 5 different mechanics stumped none wanted to remove lifters . They also say retorquing head unnecessary . I drive through a tunnel both ways too work pinging was driving me batty .
A few did say possible exhaust . Took it too exhaust place . Told owner referred too him by stumped mechanics .See if he could find noise .
Anyways he quickly found extractors had a crack . Now repaired . 4 y Engine to me not as quiet and sweet as my old 3 y but I can live with it now . Russell

ps . One day I will just retorque head soak lifters myself etc anyways .
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

4 runner oldie wrote:Puzzle nearly fixed over past 18 months or more 5 different mechanics stumped none wanted to remove lifters . They also say retorquing head unnecessary . I drive through a tunnel both ways too work pinging was driving me batty .
A few did say possible exhaust . Took it too exhaust place . Told owner referred too him by stumped mechanics .See if he could find noise .
Anyways he quickly found extractors had a crack . Now repaired . 4 y Engine to me not as quiet and sweet as my old 3 y but I can live with it now . Russell

ps . One day I will just retorque head soak lifters myself etc anyways .
Russel
Do yourself a favour and retorq that head.Do you want to replace a head gasket in near future.Better being safe than sorry.

4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Update already over 3 years . I don't do lots klms think abouts 15000klms since fitted . No oil or water issues .
But electronic distributor has been failing intermittedly fitted 31 year old Points Distributor Coil back all fine again . Cheers edit later when I check mileage .

Return to “The Workshop”