any decent air mattresses out there?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

any decent air mattresses out there?

Post by swartvark »

I've been using a stretcher mattress since I stripped my m0er over a cheapy air mattress years ago, but it seems like there are a few nice ones available now????

Any opinions on that?
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: any decent air mattresses out there?

Post by george »

Ek gebruik hierdie
http://www.carmaquip.co.za/
'n bietjie bulky,maar slaap soos 'n droom
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Daai self inflates is die enigste permanente oplossig ek gebruik (myne by Outdoorwarehouse gekoop) so 16 jaar terug. Die opblaas goed is tjol, het al so 7 gehad en dit opgegee vir n bad job. Die self inflates moet net mooi verpak word (ander skaaf hulle deur) maar vat steeds baie minder plek op as die opvou spons matrasse. Die nadeel van die self inflates is dat hulle nogal duur kan wees.
http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/campi ... d-pillows/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amper vergeet om te se dat daar voorheen die opsie was met n isoleringate onder en die lug kussings bo maar ek weet nie of hulle dit nog so maak nie.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

About 5 yrs ago I bought some cheapies (Intex) at Outdoor Warehouse .... needed them in a hurry and the budget wasn't looking too healthy at the time. I figured that I would replace them with something better later. Turns out that they're still going strong and get used quite often.

I think the reason is that they never get put down without a ground-sheet, never over-inflated, always packed away when not used (not laying about) and always cleaned off before packing.

Yeah, they're a bit of a pain to inflate, even with a pump, but the point is that you can get away without the best of everything. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Mud Dog wrote:About 5 yrs ago I bought some cheapies (Intex) at Outdoor Warehouse .... needed them in a hurry and the budget wasn't looking too healthy at the time. I figured that I would replace them with something better later. Turns out that they're still going strong and get used quite often.

I think the reason is that they never get put down without a ground-sheet, never over-inflated, always packed away when not used (not laying about) and always cleaned off before packing.

Yeah, they're a bit of a pain to inflate, even with a pump, but the point is that you can get away without the best of everything. ;-)
For you 10 stone guys it will work,but me and Niel that have to carry an extra 5 stones it does not cut it :twisted:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Huismoeles
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: V8 Disco 1

Post by Huismoeles »

Opblaas mattras :crazy: :crazy:

Beste grond seil wat jy kry kry nie n beter grond seil nie :lmao:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

george wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:About 5 yrs ago I bought some cheapies (Intex) at Outdoor Warehouse .... needed them in a hurry and the budget wasn't looking too healthy at the time. I figured that I would replace them with something better later. Turns out that they're still going strong and get used quite often.

For you 10 stone guys it will work,but me and Niel that have to carry an extra 5 stones it does not cut it :twisted:
:laugh2: :laugh2: You might have a point , no pun intended! :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Andy.
I also used one of those index mattresses. I looked after it but it kept on losing air and yes...pumping it up is a pain. I also used it when going on motorcycle trips.....so there was no bakkie with compressor.

What about those coleman mattresses? They seem to be better quality.......and still fairly cheap? I now kamp with Swartvark, so inflating with compressor is a breaze......as long as I don't have to re-inflate 2 or 3 times during the night. :frustrated:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Mud Dog wrote:
george wrote:

:laugh2: :laugh2: You might have a point , no pun intended! :D:
And how much is a stone?? I use the intex matress and no problem (mine has been stress tested a couple of times with 165 kg)
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Tiaan, we've got 2 Coleman singles. Used a lot. Always slept softly.
They are better quality, inflates with Coleman 12v pump in less than a minute.
I guess you just gotta take care where you put them and how you transport them (chafing from rattling).
It helps that I'm around 80kgs. Even the wife sleeps softly.

Did I say that last bit out loud? In no way did I mean to imply that my wife weighs more than me.!
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

I'm using bush baby air mattress. The blue and red one. have them for 3 years now with out anny problem. only problem is that it takes long to inflate due to the small air hole.deflate with the pump as well otherwise it will take a while. :thumbup:
One life, one dream, one toyota
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

When it comes to air mattresses, like with most things, you get what you pay for.

The cheapies (no insulation, really thick, sort of lilo-like) are heavy, bulky and uncomfortable. You will get cold sleeping on the ground when it's cold outside because they lack insulation. Also after awhile, the baffles between the sections degrade and the mattress gets very lumpy. Intex etc, either blue with furry stuff or green canvasy stuff

The mid range stuff is where you start with the "self-inflating" mattresses. These usually have some insulation and are quite comfortable, but they are not the greatest quality and after a couple of years the air will start to leak out all over. They also puncture easily. Cape Union Mart's Thermal Comfort range is reasonable value for money. First Ascent make better ones that will last longer

Then the top end mattresses, these are for serious hikers, and they combine maximum insulation with very lightweight materials. These are also usually seriously good quality and will last many years if looked after as the others have said. Thermarest are the original and the very best but are NOT cheap, they will last really welll though.

In addition each manufacturer will have 2-3 ranges, a "Base Camp" one (thicker, heavier, but more comfy), a mid-range jack of all trades one, and a high end lightweight, warm but not so comfortable one. Most of the time the Base Camp models will be fine for car camping unless you are sleeping in Sutherland, outdoors, in winter, in a storm.

I've owned all the different types and can say that the self inflating ones are FAR better, and more comfortable than the non-selfinflating ones and the price difference is more than justified by the increased comfort. Cheapie self-inflating ones will fall apart after a couple years, even if carefully stored, the fabric becomes air-permeable. Mid range self inflators (First Ascent and a few other brands) will do you better and provide years of service. If you can afford it then get a genuine Thermarest, nothing compares except a real bed.

To protect the mattress from punctures, get a cheap "Karrimat"/roll of closed cell foam to lay under the mattress. It will also make it much warmer to sleep on.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Nic, thanks for the name (thermarest). That is the once I have and I can really reccomend them.
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Niel wrote:Nic, thanks for the name (thermarest). That is the once I have and I can really reccomend them.
Thanks Nic! :thumbup:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com

Return to “Open Discussion”