Attempted theft of my 97 SFA

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Attempted theft of my 97 SFA

Post by Rusti »

Hi guys.

Bought my SFA just more than 3 weeks ago and they tried to steel it when it was parked at the Milnerton market on Saturday.

They did a pretty neat job of jamming a rectangular key in the front door and then in the ignition with absolutely no sign of damage whatsoever. I got to my truck and the alarm opened the doors no problem but when I put my key in the ignition it wouldnt go in all the way. I figured a tooth broke off in the key hole or something and after 30min of trying to wiggle the key in I removed all the panels in an attempt to get to the ignition system. After an hour of trying to get to it without the correct tools I called Allan.

Before I could finish telling him what was going wrong he told me they tried to steel it and what they had done. I didnt want to believe it but it was confirmed when the key also got stuck half way in the drivers door but went into the passenger door nice and easy. Not sure if I disturbed them but there are no signs of attempts on the wiring and everything runs well except for the buggered key hole. The alarm must have gone off when they opened the door without the remote so Im going to have 'words' with the car gaurd that was looking after that area that day.

Ive read allot of posts on thefts since then, attempted and successful but none more recent than 2012.

What has worked for you?? I saw an interesting one that showed a rod locked across the clutch, brake and petrol pedals but the lock can be cut with a bolt cutters. I thought of doing something similar but with a 3mm plate infront of/across all 3 pedals with the lock behind it and only accessible by putting your hand over it to hold the lock upside down to put the key in. That way they cant get to the lock with the bolt cutters. Im thinking of calling it the ''F OFF PLATE'' or ''THE TIME WASTER''.

Ive also seen a bonnit sensor that sounds the alarm when opened. I thought of fitting that to the part of the bonnit where the alarm speaker goes so if they bend the bonnit to get to the speaker 1st it will set off before other damage is done.

Difficult to talk about all my ideas when these topics can be viewed by anyone that googles hilux thefts...
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Attempted theft of my 97 SFA

Post by CasKru »

Sorry to hear of the damage they caused but glad the bastards didn't get what they wanted but I do hope they get what they deserve
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Eish! Not lekker .... I've had numerous attempts on my Hilux work bakkie .... in one instance they came back and tried it three times on the same day (was renovating a building in the CBD at the time and the bakkie had to stand out on the street .... strangely enough it was about 50m away from the court buildings with a cop-shop just 200m down the drag! :crazy:

I just replaced the locks.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Thats crazy..

The worst thing is that the public prosecutors are so bad at their jobs that when these ppl are cought they are often released due to bad court questioning and no real investigating. I cought 1 guy in my citi golf a few years ago and the other got away. I figured we had him nailed because he was the one in the drivers seat but he is an auto electrician by trade and claimed that the other guy called saying he had trouble starting his car so he was roped in and didnt know he was helping to steel a car.. it was pathetic but the judge let him off. Meanwhile the other guy didnt have a key to the car and the battery cable was cut so theres no way he wouldnt have noticed that. He also had a bank slip in his wallet with R115 000 in his account, multiple lawyers cards, multiple panel beaters cards and about 10k cash. Who has that kind of stuff on them as an honest citizen never mind 115k.. His lawyer also looked like a tik kop.. just BS!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yep, that's our injustice system for you!
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4xlux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux SFA
Club VHF Licence: Frans

Post by 4xlux »

Hi Francois here, Will think of a few ideas and let you know.
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

The other theft posts are really helpful as some of them have photos of the damage so that shows us the methods that they use just like the way they know the methods that we use.. One was of a gear leaver that had been cut off just below the gear lock so they must use a vice grip to change gears until they get back to their workshop.

I thought of sliding a tempered pipe over the gear leaver and welding it at the top and bottom so the leaver is reinforced but I have to see if there is enough space for the gear lock to still lock properly after the added thickness of the leaver.
dantjie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: kuilrivier
Vehicle: HILUX SFA LTD 2.4 EFI

Post by dantjie »

Ek wil nou nie dom klink nie maar gaan van nou af my coil draad begin afhaal as ek my trok parker by n sentrum of so sal werk vir nou tot ons n ander plan kan maak.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

:frustrated: :punch: net bly jy het nog die bakkie. Ek weet hulle het so 12 jaar gelede my Jetta so prober steel.

Ek pm jou.
Wurmscooby
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: 1996 2.4 SFA

Post by Wurmscooby »

dantjie wrote:Ek wil nou nie dom klink nie maar gaan van nou af my coil draad begin afhaal as ek my trok parker by n sentrum of so sal werk vir nou tot ons n ander plan kan maak.
hulle weet van die coil draad ook.my broer se motor was gesteel by Brackenfell stasie.
X-Dors
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Pajero Sport 3.2

Post by X-Dors »

Gaan kyk hier na ek het een en dit sal ook help dat hy nie gesteel word nie . viewtopic.php?p=367935#p367935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; sal vir jou n prent van dit PM
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

Ek het 'n Relay ingebou tussen twee onderdele. Die skakelaar wat die stroom breek sal deur min mense op aarde ooit gevind word. Hulle sal baie clever moet wees om dit wel op te spoor. Maar ons weet self dat die ongeskoolde lede baie keer hierdie artikels lees, so ek gaan nie te veel uitbrei oor wat ek gedoen het nie. Die Internet het meeste van die inligting aan my verskaf van hoe om die Relay te Koppel. Probeer dit gerus of PM my dan kan ek die twee onderdele bekend maak. :wink2: Die skakelaar se plek sal slegs bekend wees aan twee persone wie eendag langs my oop graf sal staan. :mocking:
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

X-Dors wrote:Gaan kyk hier na ek het een en dit sal ook help dat hy nie gesteel word nie . viewtopic.php?p=367935#p367935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; sal vir jou n prent van dit PM
These are brilliant! I have fitted one to each of my vehicles. I wanted to post the link last night but forgot to look up the topic.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Kan julle ook vir my een stuur asb.
Al sekuriteit wat my voertuig het is uitgewerkte deurslotte en 'n alarm wat nie werk nie
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Ja they are the best and a must have. My only worry is that they break in 1st and mess up everything before realising they aren't getting the van. With the pedal lock and anti bolt cutter plate I would paint it red so they see it when checking out the van and give up before they even break anything.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”