3.0 d4d 150k km timing belt change

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Kolie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 d4 4x4 D/C

3.0 d4d 150k km timing belt change

Post by Kolie »

Hi All you Luxers

So what do you tell me about the question of go for the genuine toyota part box or Ram/Continental or Power grip box in the timing belt, if we are talking about tensioner i can get a pirate with a koyo bearing fitted.
Price wise there's a differ of R1000,the idler is not included in this price,the guy at the parts department gave me i price of R694 for this but this i don't have to replace according the guy at our local spare shop.

Please guys,help me with your inputs,i dont like to spend on stuff i don't need to but i like my d4d to be in top quality
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Re: 3.0 d4d 150k km timing belt change

Post by Mars67 »

If any of those components fail it is going to be a very expensive exercise to fix that 16 valve cylinder head. Replace the idler too. I have no problem with the Ram/ Continental or Gates Power Grip belts. I have had good results with all those brands. As long as it is the correct one.

Here is how to replace the belt. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25132&start=30
Kolie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Kolie »

Hi Mars,

Thanx for your reply, I appreciate, for sure is that the parts that is number 1 to let you not stuck somewhere swell as in a big financial crisis.
As I mensioned, i don't like to pay more for the same quality I can get somewhere else. The idler, shows to me are not available otherwise as from the dealer so I will get it from them.
Thanks for the link you sent me as well; I definitely will make use of it.

Regards
Kolie
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

also see
http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/D4D-waterpump ... /index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

Post by Tarquin »

the powergrip which is a gates product and is American, its as good as the toyota belt for 1/3 of the price. i've heard of the good year ram belts breaking on tazzies, but can confirm it. i would fit Power grip.
the pirate idlers are perfect, you must just check what bearing it has in it. koyo is also as good as the toyota one :thumbup: :thumbup:
you don't need to change the tensioner, i've never heard of one giving any hassle.
Kolie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Kolie »

Hi Guys

Thanks for all inputs regarding this to be done.
On saturday morning i took out my print out and did the kick off. I replaced the belt(continental) and the idler( parts) aswell as the tensioner(geniun part),al for just over R1200, very easy if you have all the info from this forum.

Regards
Kolie

Return to “The Workshop”