Hilux not going well after body lift

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Hilux not going well after body lift

Post by pietpetoors »

I received this question via email, any suggestions?
Howzit,

I hope you can assist.

I have recently had a 50mm body lift done on my 2007 4L Hilux Double Cab added new HDL Safari shocks and spaced the coils. The tyres are 32 x 11.5 x 15.

My problem is that after the body lift the bakkie went the same as before, BUT after I have been in 4x4, it feels like the bakkie is “dragging”, almost like driving with brakes on and the fuel consumption has gone through the roof (and on the 4L this aint good at all)

After first stint in Mozambique the left inner CV boot tore, had this repaired and tested again, but bakkie is still not going as it used to.

Any ideas to the reasoning?
I have had all kinds of expert options:
Transfer box not releasing from 4x4, but I checked the propshaft and it has released

CV arms are too short and are pulling out after 4x4 activated.

I would appreciate any input at all.
Cheers

Martyn
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
chanico
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: brakpan
Vehicle: toyota hilux 4x4 dc LEXI

Re: Hilux not going well after body lift

Post by chanico »

hi peter
I had the same problem I adjusted my load bin sensor on my diff when I raised my body by 100mm it seemed like my brakes was not releasing but after adjusting it it felt much better I hope this will help you I hope you come right with the price of petrol and diesel you don't want less km out of your bakkie
Die man wat lexus engine kan blaas en hilux kan rol als net vir a bietjie 4x4 plesier
Cleaner
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Post by Cleaner »

My first thought is also Load Bin Sensors!
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Even with my std 75mm lift, i don't have that problem, put it on 4 axle stands and check if everything is turning freely
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

If what Johan and Ernst is saying is true... it should be quite easy to pick up by just feeling the temp of the rim after driving a few kilometers.

I'm not sure how the newer models work, but know of someone with an IFS, where someone worked on the free wheeling hub and didn't assembly it correctly. This caused the driveshaft to always be engaged even though you "unlock" it. When they realised the problem and had it fixed, the difference in performance was very noticeable.

I told you that story so you know where I'm coming from with the next statement. Is it not maybe a case of an actuator or something in the electronic free-wheeling hubs that did not disengage caused the additional strain in the drive train and more drag?
To God be the glory
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

I Had a similar problem with my truck a few years back, no power heavy on fuel, it turned out that it was the water trap by the air-intake that melted away at the bottom, so have a look if thats not happened to your truck,
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Body lift should not let the CV pull out, except if the front was also lifted, i.e spacers, The angle of the sideshafts is too much. Same for the load sensor, it is mounted on the chassis and wont be affected by just a body lift. Also sounds if your front Actuator is stuck. Remove it and test in the open to see if the fork move.

For every mm lift in suspension the load sensor should be adjusted with the mm lift. As for the transfer case, check the front Actuator.
Kaaskrul
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2018 Hilux X-Cab 4x4 Dakar

Post by Kaaskrul »

The load sensor works when you load. So,the lower the loadbin goes, the more it will brake on the rear.

Lifting will mean less braking power on the rear, not more. So it cant be that the rear brakes are engaged while driving.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

I know, but with a body lift only nothing change.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Kaaskrul wrote:The load sensor works when you load. So,the lower the loadbin goes, the more it will brake on the rear.

Lifting will mean less braking power on the rear, not more. So it cant be that the rear brakes are engaged while driving.
The load sensor is mounted on the chassis and is connected to the rear axle. So a body lift only will not change that geometry. Only once the geometry of the rear axle versus the chassis change do one need to adjust the load sensor
To God be the glory
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

Load bin sensor?? You guys are kidding right?
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mikie wrote:Load bin sensor?? You guys are kidding right?
Load sensing valve / load proportioning valve
To God be the glory
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Yes, its a conspiracy :lmao:

See here: http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/brakes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although it's highly unlikely it's the source of the problem as mentioned by the other members...
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

Its the first time I hear of such a thing, you guys are educating me
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Actually called an LSPV .... (Load Sensor Proportioning Valve). ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Kaaskrul
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2018 Hilux X-Cab 4x4 Dakar

Post by Kaaskrul »

CasKru wrote:
Kaaskrul wrote:The load sensor works when you load. So,the lower the loadbin goes, the more it will brake on the rear.

The load sensor is mounted on the chassis and is connected to the rear axle. So a body lift only will not change that geometry. Only once the geometry of the rear axle versus the chassis change do one need to adjust the load sensor
Yes I know. But like I said , even if you lift chassis, it will mean less braking power,on rear wheels, IF you dont re adjust it. So if whoever did not adjust it, it cant be the fault for the bakkie not going well anymore, cause it cant keep brakes onto the rear wheels while you are driving, and holding the vehicle back, it cant be
:mrgreen:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Kaaskrul wrote:
CasKru wrote:

Yes I know. But like I said , even if you lift chassis, it will mean less braking power,on rear wheels, IF you dont re adjust it. So if whoever did not adjust it, it cant be the fault for the bakkie not going well anymore, cause it cant keep brakes onto the rear wheels while you are driving, and holding the vehicle back, it cant be
:mrgreen:
Yep... sorry... didn't catch that part :thumbup:

As you say, the rear axle has to move closer to the chassis in order to apply more brake force on the rear brakes
To God be the glory
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

pietpetoors wrote:I received this question via email, any suggestions?
Howzit,

I hope you can assist.

I have recently had a50mm body lift done on my 2007 4L Hilux Double Cab added new HDL Safari shocks and spaced the coils. The tyres are 32 x 11.5 x 15.

My problem is that after the body lift the bakkie went the same as before, BUT after I have been in 4x4, it feels like the bakkie is “dragging”, almost like driving with brakes on and the fuel consumption has gone through the roof (and on the 4L this aint good at all)

After first stint in Mozambique the left inner CV boot tore, had this repaired and tested again, but bakkie is still not going as it used to.

Any ideas to the reasoning?
I have had all kinds of expert options:
Transfer box not releasing from 4x4, but I checked the propshaft and it has released

CV arms are too short and are pulling out after 4x4 activated.

I would appreciate any input at all.
Cheers

Martyn

Must be the increase in aerodynamic drag........and we all know how the 4L struggles to begin with! :dance1:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.

Return to “The Workshop”