Unleaded fuel bymiddel

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
DassieHassie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 22R D/Cab 4x4

Unleaded fuel bymiddel

Post by DassieHassie »

Hi, het nou al die meeste opinies gehoor ivm leaded en unleaded fuel in my 1996 22R.
Ek gebruik LRP meestal, maar as net unleaded beakikbaar is, watse bymiddel kan ek gebruik? Wat van "Valve Ease"??

Hoor graag van julle

Hilux groete
Evil thrives when good men do nothing
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Unleaded fuel bymiddel

Post by Mud Dog »

Jy hoef nie 'n bymiddel te gebruik nie, jou '96 22R enjin is reg om unleaded te gebruik, daar sal nie skade ann die enjin gely word nie. Hy's klaar gemaak daarvoor. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Ek self ry die 1994 2.4 petrol (22R) en hy hardloop nou al vir 5 jaar op ULP sonder enige issues
To God be the glory
DassieHassie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 22R D/Cab 4x4

Post by DassieHassie »

Baie dankie!!
Evil thrives when good men do nothing
batavia
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mossel Bay
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by batavia »

Ek ry "rooi" petrol met Hilux 1991 4y 2.2. Wat sê die wyse manne oor die gebruik van loodvrye petrol in hierdie geval?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

batavia wrote:Ek ry "rooi" petrol met Hilux 1991 4y 2.2. Wat sê die wyse manne oor die gebruik van loodvrye petrol in hierdie geval?
Sover ek week, behoort jy nog die bymiddel by te gooi, maar ek hoor van baie mense met die 4Y enjin wat al jare ry met ULP sonder probleme. Glo self nie dis 'n probleem nie. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

IIRC any vehicle manufactures after 1987 has no problem with unleaded
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Not too sure about that one Cassie ... I remember looking up the data for my 1990 4Y at the time when leaded fuel was phased out and the recommendation was to use an additive or LRP. That said, I had a lot of anecdotal feedback from guys "in the trade" that there shouldn't be a problem with ULP. I didn't want to take unnecessary chances and used LRP wherever I could and kept a few bottles of additive behind the seat for when I couldn't get LRP. I did this for a while until I ran out of additive with no LRP or additive available and was forced to run on ULP for a few weeks .... (I did this with mixed feelings - the data recommendations conflicting with the anecdotal advice). There was nothing that went wrong after two or three tanks of ULP but I still used LRP whenever it was available when filling up so for years afterwards I used both.

I never had a problem but would hesitate to make a recommendation to use ULP only when I'm not completely 100% sure myself.

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

I drove a 1987 Conquest 1300 and as I remember at that stage mine just made it into the category that was fine to use ULP
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

http://www.naamsa.co.za/unleaded/databases/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lead Replacement Petrol (LRP)

Which cars must use LRP and why?

As well as boosting fuel octane, lead acts as a lubricant between the contact surfaces of the exhaust valves and the valve seats in the cylinder head. Certain older vehicle engines (pre mid-eighties) were made with soft metal valve seats as they were protected by the lead in the petrol. If all metal additives are removed from petrol, the soft metal valve seats may become worn and valve seat recession may result in loss of compression and power. The most critical operating conditions for valve seat recession are high speed and/or high load which leads to high valve temperatures and hence greatest wear rates.

The vehicle compatibility database which will be widely available, including on the NAAMSA (http://www.naamsa.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and SAPIA (http://www.sapia.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) websites, will clearly indicate which older vehicles, susceptible to VSR, should use a Lead Replacement Petrol (LRP). The oil companies will either market LRP through the pumps on their forecourts or else provide a bottled additive which can be purchased and added in measured quantities to the vehicle's tank when filling up with unleaded petrol.

What bottled additives should I use?

There are a number of anti-wear additives on the market that will protect your car's valve seats in the same way as LRP. Additives with either potassium, phosphorus or manganese as active ingredients will provide adequate protection if dosed correctly in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations.

What are the consequences of using lead replacement petrol (LRP) if my car is fitted with a catalytic converter?

LRP should not be used in cars fitted with catalytic converters, because certain of the additives used may adversely affect the catalyst. For that reason LRP, will only be sold through larger diameter nozzles which will not fit the filler pipes of vehicles requiring unleaded petrol.

When will it be compulsory for cars to be fitted with catalytic converters?

As from February 2005, all new petrol-powered passenger and light commercial vehicle models introduced in South Africa need to meet mandatory maximum emission levels and hence should have been fitted with a catalytic converter. As from January 2008, all new petrol-powered vehicles of all types, whether they be new or existing models, must be fitted with catalytic converters. There is no requirement for cars built before these dates to be retrofitted with catalytic converters. In excess of 70% of all new cars are already fitted with catalytic converters.

Use of suitable bottled anti-valve seat recession (AVSR) additives?

Anti-valve seat recession additives are very easy to use. Simply inject or pour the required amount of additive into the fuel tank prior to filling up with unleaded petrol. These additives provide valve seat recession protection similar to the protection that the lead in leaded petrol provided.

How do I know that anti-valve seat recession additives will protect my engine?

Anti-valve seat recession additives can substitute for lead replacement petrol quite satisfactorily provided that you choose an additive from a reputable manufacturer that is specifically designed to protect valve seats and you use it exactly as instructed on the packaging. Be aware that protection is needed most when the vehicle is operated under high engine speed or load conditions, such as during extended periods of highway driving whilst towing a heavy trailer.

Will using more of an anti-valve seat recession additive than the recommended amount provide better protection for my engine?

No. You should not use more than the recommended amount of additive.

Will using an anti-valve seat recession additive, in addition to using LRP, provide better protection for my engine?

No. You should use either an AVSR additive or LRP. Some additives may be unsuitable for mixing with LRP. Different additives could also be incompatible with each other and so it is advisable to stick to one.

If my car currently uses ULP, will using LRP or an AVSR additive provide it with additional protection?

No. Continue to use your usual grade of ULP as your car does not need the protection that LRP or AVSR additives provide. If your car is fitted with a catalytic converter, using LRP or AVSR additives could damage the catalyst. You must use only ULP as recommended in the vehicle's handbook.
To God be the glory
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

That is how I understood it Cassie... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
werewolf
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 1991, 50mm lift suspension, Rear E-Locker

Post by werewolf »

Here is a PDF file for download, which has a guide chart from the SHELL COMPANY for leaded and unleaded fuel and the year models of the vehicles.

http://s04.static-shell.com/content/dam ... -chart.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Soos ek verstaan loop die 4y engine oorsee al op unleaded petrol nog voordat dit in Suid Afrika uitgekom het.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

NAAMSA was the site where I originally got my info ..... pulled this off their site:

Hilux 2200 Std PF 4x4 4Y 1988 1994-10 N R C R C C R Compatible to ULP with valve seat additive

The "R" indicates "Recommended" to use LRP ans is "Compatible to ULP with valve seat additive"

I therefore understand it to mean that the 4Y should be using LRP - or - ULP with additive.

As I said, I experienced no problems, but that is the NAAMSA recommendation above. ;-)

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

n Vraag vir die slim manne.As ek n nuwe head kompleet met valves vir my 4y koop,sal hy dan slegs op unleaded brandstof moet loop?

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Dawie, as jy 'n nuwe head met kleppe en als insit dan is hy heeltemal reg vir ULP. Daar is g'n rede waarom jy ook nie LRP sal kan gebruik nie .... jy het mos nie 'n catalytic converter op jou wa nie.

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Thanx Andy,het ook so gedink.

batavia
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mossel Bay
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by batavia »

Dankie. So om veilig te wees LPR of ULP met bymiddel.
Gevolgtrekking. As die nood druk en jy het nie bymiddel nie sal een of twee tenke ULP nie skade veroorsaak nie?
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

batavia wrote:Dankie. So om veilig te wees LPR of ULP met bymiddel.
Gevolgtrekking. As die nood druk en jy het nie bymiddel nie sal een of twee tenke ULP nie skade veroorsaak nie?
Dis 100% reg so.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

batavia wrote:Dankie. So om veilig te wees LPR of ULP met bymiddel.
Glo ook nie so nie. ;-)

Return to “The Workshop”