What to do?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

What to do?

Post by Baasvark »

I took my van to the mechanic last week to redo the knuckles etc. on the front diff.

While it was on the lift I used the opportunity to test the prop shaft and I saw that it too needed some attention (although there was no vibration while driving). So I decided to have everything done at one go.

I got the vehicle back and felt that there was a slight vibration. Seeing that it was late friday afternoon, I decided to take it back the following monday. I also felt the propshaft (where it comes out of the centre bearing on the gearbox side) and it was hot enough to burn my hand! So I was convinced that the guys had cocked up on the propshaft balancing & recon.

Anyhow, saturday I did the 4x4 route. Tuesday took the vehicle back and if anything - the vibration is worse! It's actually more of a shudder.

Now it shudders when pulling away and in the first 3 gears when under torque. Then it kinda planes off.

Ok now heres the question: Is it the propshaft, or is it maybe the clutch?
The guys who did the propshaft have tried everything.They replaced the new c/bearing with another one. They even put the old centre bearing back! The whole propshaft was reconned. No difference.

Could it be co-incidence that the clutch could start giving trouble just after the propshaft was done? I'd hate to go to the expense of re-doing the clutch and still sit with the same problem. :eh:

Being a newbie to the whole 4x4 route scenario is it possible that I could have caused damage to the clutch? Does this happen often?

What do you guys think?
ANY advice would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

It's the 3.4 Prado conversion with the 22R gearbox.
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: What to do?

Post by Family_Dog »

Did they balance the PS? I had some work done on Hound Dog, they replaced the clutch and the dreaded vibration was present as a result thereof. A quick visit to Johan at Propshaft Centre in Klerkies sorted that out very quickly.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Baasvark

Post by Baasvark »

Family_Dog wrote:Did they balance the PS? I had some work done on Hound Dog, they replaced the clutch and the dreaded vibration was present as a result thereof. A quick visit to Johan at Propshaft Centre in Klerkies sorted that out very quickly.

-F_D
Yes they did and re-checked it several times :(
They have asked me to drop it off again next week (but frankly I don't think they have a clue as what they should try next!)
Thing is, they have the reputation of being the best in our region. This from several knowledgeable sources.

I really don't know what next. As I said, replacing the clutch is nothing, it's the (potentially) unecesary cost that bugs.
Is there any way to test whether it's the clutch?
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

It might be that they made the same mistake as most propshaft companies do, the "timing" on a Hilux prop differs from most other vehicles, i will take a right and wrong pic when i get a chance.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Baasvark

Post by Baasvark »

Thanks Hoppy :thumbup:

They did say that they changed the degrees that the universals joined at. But they may have still got it wrong.
Unfortunately I don't really know much about these things (yet) otherwise I could have advised them before hand.

At the same time, being professionals you kinda expect them to know what they're doing!

But pls post the pics, Every bit of info helps!

Outlaw
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Piet Retief
Vehicle: Hilux V8 Lexus 1995

Post by Outlaw »

Shane,

if the shudder occurs while your foot is completely of the clutch, then the clutch will not be the problem. look at the p/shafts then
Baasvark

Post by Baasvark »

Hoppy wrote:It might be that they made the same mistake as most propshaft companies do, the "timing" on a Hilux prop differs from most other vehicles, i will take a right and wrong pic when i get a chance.

Hi Hoppy,

I know u'r busy, just want to remind you about the photo's if you get the chance :beg:

Thanks,
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

I will watch this one closely as I have the same problem I took a old center bearing and took it for a solid rubber around the bearing . No vibration when pulling away. Took the propshaft to spesialist in town put in new Universals and center bearing and ballance. Still vibrating after all been done. :alvarin:
One life, one dream, one toyota
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Baasvark wrote:they have the reputation of being the best in our region.
Wie sal dit wees?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Baasvark

Post by Baasvark »

City driveshafts
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Nope, ken hulle nie.

Ek dateer nog uit Marlim en Willie van Rooyen se dae...
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “The Workshop”