Sand blasting & Powder coating

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Sand blasting & Powder coating

Post by Ali3n »

I am in the process of having my rims sand blasted and powder coated. Prices per rim are as follow…

Sand Blasting - R150
Powder coating - R150 (Any color, with or without clear coat same price)
Total - R250 per rim

Is this a good price?
Should I powder coat or just use normal paint? What will last?
Should I stick with Silver or should I try a different color? Remember my van is White…
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Sand blasting & Powder coating

Post by Mud Dog »

My opinion .... stick to silver grey or gunmetal grey with your white vehicle. I also don't like powder-coating .... prefer a spray-on finish that I can always touch up myself if required .... perhaps use something like poly-acrithane, it's damn hard wearing (used to be used on aircraft). ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

Mud Dog wrote:My opinion .... stick to silver grey or gunmetal grey with your white vehicle. I also don't like powder-coating .... prefer a spray-on finish that I can always touch upmyself if required .... perhaps use something like poly-acrithane, it's damn hard wearing (used to be used on aircraft). ;-)
That is exactly what I thought myself and was told by OOOOMS. :thumbup: Not that I didn't believe him. I was just wondering, the powder coating made the surface of the rim a little rough even though it is fine. What can I use to get a smooth finish??? A lot of undercoat and sanding or is there an easier option???
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

If you have already powder coated it's best to leave it and not try smooth it off .... it will become very dull if you apply any abrasives and it doesn't polish up to a shine like paint very easily. Probably because it's softer than paints. You could get it to shine after a lot of fine polishing, but the amount of effort isn't worth it in my opinion. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Sounds like a fair price. New technology allows you to touch up powdercoated items.... Ask the shop. They've given me that info year in PE.
Sent from my iPhone
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

Mud Dog wrote:If you have already powder coated it's best to leave it and not try smooth it off .... it will become very dull if you apply any abrasives and it doesn't polish up to a shine like paint very easily. Probably because it's softer than paints. You could get it to shine after a lot of fine polishing, but the amount of effort isn't worth it in my opinion. :think:
Only sand blasted the 1 so far as I wanted to see how it would come out. The others are still on my van which is at the shop… Was going to drop it off in the morning for powder coating but wanted to get advice before I did that…

My b-i-l had his powder coated 3 years ago and to date has not had a chip or a scratch and he drives on bad tar and dirt roads almost daily what made it sound like a good idea.
Rebel 4x4 wrote:Sounds like a fair price. New technology allows you to touch up powdercoated items.... Ask the shop. They've given me that info year in PE.
That is nice to know. If I decide to powder coat then I will make sure of that first. Maybe what I should do, seeing as I have 6 rims of which 1 will be lying around at home is to have one powder coated and see the result before doing the rest. After all it will be a lot less work…
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Well I think the powdercoating should be OK up here where we do not breathe water like the coastal members. :twisted:

I once had a set of TSW Titans (similar to the Omegas) back in the early 90's that had charcoal inners with a polished rim. Sanded the charcoal down and gave it some love with metallic silver Duco. Looked :thumbup:

If I were in your shoes (and that's just me) I would use the ChemSpec brand 2K in the chosen colour and just Do-It-Myself.
I just painted some home-made furniture with their normal Acrylic (eq of the old Duco) in matt black with an el-cheapo spray gun and it looks better than store bought.
Mikem1
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Isuzu 3.0 D-tec

Post by Mikem1 »

Hi Guys.
It sound steep i use city powder coaters in eloff str selby very good prices sandblasted an old bench i was refurbishing cost R200.Good job is always more important than the price.
Regards
Darrell
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Post by SWARTLUX »

Gunmetalgrey would look very spiffy with the white! :thumbup: I would also rather use spraypaint incase you need to touch up.
Taking the rims in each time to do touch ups on powdercoating could become expensive
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

I would go the powder coating option.It lasts much longer than any paint.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
IISARGE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenhurst ext2
Vehicle: 2700i 4x2 hilux

Post by IISARGE »

on tuching up powdercoating all yhay do is resand blast and repowdercoat what ever your powdercoating yes it looks nice :thumbup: but it can be costly like it was said before. me i would spray paint the rims wil work out chipper . my trailer rims i had powdercoated and my van rims spraypainted together and both still look the same after 6 years . but its your chose at the end of the day ali3n :)
Piece of Cake...!
ImageImage
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

So I have dropped of 1 of my rims for powder coating just as a sample to see what it will look like. The other 1 I will be painting over the weekend and then I will compare them and then make my decision. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. :thumbup:

I took a little walk through their pant and I must say they are big… :shock2: I then told them that I was in the process of designing and building my bumper and would like it powder coated. He then showed me their storeroom filled with bumpers which they powder coat. :crazy: Quite impressive… :thumbup: He said the cost for my bumper would be roughly R250. This seems to be good price and the quality of their work looks exceptional. :thumbup: Will let you all know what the rim looks like once I get it back.
:thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

Post pics of the 2 rims and lets see the difference
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

MOFASA wrote:Post pics of the 2 rims and lets see the difference
I will once both are done. :thumbup: :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Good Price!!! Powder coat.
grobbepj
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

Ali3n wrote:
Hi Alien,

I know this is an old post but was wondering on which you decided and why? I need to fix up some of my mags as they got scratched quite a bit in a certain incident (nothing too serious). Now i need to decide whether I go the powder coating route or spray painting route. The mag repair guys here charge me a lot more to do the entire mag versus having it sanded, smoothed sand blasted and powder coated.

Also need to decide on the colour though. I am a bit scared of the chipping of the powdercoating as mentioned on other threads I could find here as well...

Any advise/ lessons will be appreciated.

Dankie
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

grobbepj wrote:
Ali3n wrote:
Hi Alien,

I know this is an old post but was wondering on which you decided and why? I need to fix up some of my mags as they got scratched quite a bit in a certain incident (nothing too serious). Now i need to decide whether I go the powder coating route or spray painting route. The mag repair guys here charge me a lot more to do the entire mag versus having it sanded, smoothed sand blasted and powder coated.

Also need to decide on the colour though. I am a bit scared of the chipping of the powdercoating as mentioned on other threads I could find here as well...

Dankie
powder coating is more durable than paint
its also cheaper to do
and it cleans easier than paint
remember paint can chip and powder coating too
i would do powder coating , the process is just better
sandblast , pre treat , apply powder , heat and bake
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

JEEPIE wrote:
grobbepj wrote:
Ali3n wrote:
Hi Alien,

Dankie
powder coating is more durable than paint
its also cheaper to do
and it cleans easier than paint
remember paint can chip and powder coating too
i would do powder coating , the process is just better
sandblast , pre treat , apply powder , heat and bake
Thanks Shaun, I am also leaning towards this. Apparently they can also now fix the chipmarks without redoing the whole mag owth powder coating.

They do an acid pretreatment to get rid of the paint, smooth the rims out nicely, add a pre treatment and then the powder.

I am currently looking at a gunmetal grey finish. Dont know if it will look funny against the white body. Want to pick up the rock sliders and replacement bumpers a bit without going full on black. Any comments? or do I rather stick with the standard silver?
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Post by pietdevs »

My 2CW from the coast. Powder coating does not last on the coast - it rusts under the powder coating even if prepared with all the bells and whistles. Normal spray paint is much more durable on the coast and touches up easily... My boat trailer has spray painted rims and is submerged in sea water on a regularly basis - no problem. They were epoxy coated and the coating did not last 6 months..
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

pietdevs wrote:My 2CW from the coast. Powder coating does not last on the coast - it rusts under the powder coating even if prepared with all the bells and whistles. Normal spray paint is much more durable on the coast and touches up easily... My boat trailer has spray painted rims and is submerged in sea water on a regularly basis - no problem. They were epoxy coated and the coating did not last 6 months..
Thanks Pieter.

THis should not be a problem for us. We are bush people and only get to the coast when the kids whining of "wanneer gaan ons see toe"get too much. I am just not build for all that salty stuff...
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

I was also thinking of changing the colour of my mags. they are not damaged but just want a change. was thinking of giving this new plastidip a try. it comes in a can, doesn't cost much and looks pretty durable. comes in different colours and easy to apply. and you can remove it yourself afterwards to change it again. and being it a rubber base I think it wont scratch that easy and I suppose if it does u can just patch it up with aother can.
what do you think about plastidip ?
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

I'm gonna try these guys - http://www.foliatec.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cost is around R650-R700 for the kit and you can do 4x 18"rims.

Nice thing is, if you don't like it you just pull it off. The videos seem pretty good and you can touch up at any time aswell.
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

Got a final quote today. R250 per mag for poweder coating. Gave one in as an example... So will see by monday probably. Will
Most probably so all 5 mags if they do a good job.
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

The finished product... Now lets see how long they last...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395378873.586148.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395378873.586148.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 5324 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395378891.974011.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395378891.974011.jpg (271.65 KiB) Viewed 5324 times
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Looks stunning :thumbup:
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”

Return to “The Workshop”