KZTE Overheating Issue

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Weimaraner1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux

KZTE Overheating Issue

Post by Weimaraner1 »

I know that this topic has been discussed to many times for anyone to remember but I still need advice on whether I should spend the money and do the following:
- Buy a new radiator
- Replace the Viscus Clutch on the Fan
- Fit the Turbologix EGT

if there is absolutely nothing wrong with my Hilux and I have alreadY done the following (the reason I am asking is the mere fact that members on this and other forums have scared me to death with all the horror stories on the KZTE's overheating and I would like to preserve my car as long as possible)

This is what I have done -
- Got the Hilux at 120 000km and made sure that I buy from someone I know who did not drive it hard and gave it all services
- Change oil every 5k and Oil and Air filter every 10k
- Removed radiator, cleaned it, new hoses, new thermostat, flushed coolant, new Toyota long life coolant and will change coolant every 40 000km
- New radiator cap
- Removed and cleaned intercooler and fitted new intercooler pipes (they get a little soiled with oil and get soft over time I have noticed)
- Never drive it hard or > 3000 rpm
- Do not tow - except a luggage trailer every now and again (twice a year)
- Changed injector tips every 80k
- Remap UniChip every 40k
- 187 000km on the clock and never a problem

I am also busy planning trips and I have upgraded to OME suspension and upgrading my dual bat system etc. All of this is cash and I wonder if I should do this, scared the "head will go and overheat even with all my maintenance.

I welcome some views on this please
Thanks
Pieter
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: KZTE Overheating Issue

Post by george »

Hi Pieter

i am no expert,but by the sound of it you are doing everything correct.Maybe the EGT is a good idea.
Otherwise relax and enjoy your bakkie :thumbup:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Welcome on the forum Pieter. The KZ-TE on this forum does not have a lot of support, but that said I also have one and enjoy it to bits. With 320k on the clock it has started using oil and is smoking and so the plan is to overhaul the motor, I think its fair for that milaege.

So far I don't see anything wrong with your plan. :thumbup: Keep to that and you'll be fine.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
warrenaken
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X04

Post by warrenaken »

I was also worried about this, did a bit of research on the forums, and to me its seems like the abused ones go.

have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20368
Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

If you don't push it over 3000rpm, don't bother with an EGT.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Polarbear2008
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

I have a KZ-te and and am not afraid to tow with it. I have an Echo 3 trailer that I tow and it works! Strong diesel engine and right diff gear ratio = great towing! And better towing consumption than petrol!! LOL!
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
louis fourie
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

zepplin wrote:If you don't push it over 3000rpm, don't bother with an EGT.
EGT is nie rev gebonde nie. Hoe swaarder die engine werk, selfs teen laer revs, hoe hoër is die EGT.
Weimaraner1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Weimaraner1 »

I love my Hilux so much :yahoo:

Yes I will keep on doing what I am doing, the reason I am thinking about replacing the radiator and the viscus is because:
- I read on this or another forum (cannot remember) that someone replaced the radiator and for that person it felt as if the Hilux was driving better with a bit more power, someone explained as the increased cooling having an effect on the engine, can this be?
- Can anyone explain what happens with a radiator over time, does it scales, corrode etc
- I previously had a problem with an Isuzu kb with overheating, the dealers could not fix it and at the end I read a thread on an overseas website where someone asked the question "is you aircon still as effective as ever?". My answer in that instance was "no" and apparently it is due to the fan not running at the correct speed and therefor not drawing enough air through the aircon condensor and the radiator by default, I replaced the viscus clutch and my problem solved :yahoo:
- Have you ever noticed that the kzte performs better on a cooler day or early in the morning, apparently that is due to the cooler air effect on both the intake and the radiator
- AM I MAKING ANY SENSE?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It makes perfect sense, and radiators do deteriorate over time ... it gets to a point that all still runs fine until there is a heavier workload and more heat build up. One does get a little scaling inside the radiator but IMO this accounts for very little fall off in efficiency .... to my mind it's all about airflow volume / ambient air temp and the capability of the radiator to disperse that heat, so if the radiator fins are choked with insects and debris, or the condition of the fins between the cores is poor (corroded), there is a potential problem. Have it checked out professionally if you're not sure, and replace the radiator if required. It could prevent a lot more headaches and costs down the line.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Pieter no doubt the KZ is great :thumbup:
Replaced my radiator over the w/end and even though it was working 100% some fins had been bent badly and obviously would affect the effeciency of the radiaotor to cool the engine. Whilst at it you may as well replace the themostat and radiator cap. As to the degree of scaling in the radiator you would battle to know as it also depends how the previous owner looked after it.

Toyota wanted over R5k for the radiator and Silverton were happy to give me a brand new alu unit for R938.00 excl. :shock2:
Was very surprised how much water the cooling system took hey! 8 ltrs, wow.

Yes with cooler ambient tempratures any engine will pull better and effeciently. As most will agree the trick to a lasting KZ is keeping revs low mine I keep at 2500 rpm (sometimes 3000 if I'm too :excited:) which is not often - anything more than that I suggest get a super bike or wait for the Toyota GT86 :mocking:

Haven't driven it yet to be able to tell if there's any noticeable difference since the change.

Hope this helps,
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
Nicol
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: KZTE, D4D,Corolla

Post by Nicol »

Hi Peter

I had some issues with my head gasket ( all off it was duo to radiator being blocked -- my fault for not changing coolant every two years. Since then I ftted new radiator , driven twice to Kzn north coast during summer holidays, towing trailer fully loaded and no issues at all. I believe the KZ enigine ( K275 on the clock_ one of the best, friends of mine have D4D engines , clutch , diff, gearbox and radiator issues between the three of them. I do not overcook my driving as it is not a racing car. After all the speed limit is 120km/h.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Oooms and Sebata, I arrest my case now! :thumbup: :beach:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Weimaraner1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Weimaraner1 »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have replaced the thermostat and coolant and flushed the engine, I also cleaned the radiator and intercooler - not a difficult job but takes time.

I agree, I will change coolant and thermostat every 2 years and maybe, just maybe I'll buy a new radiator and install the EGT.

Happy KZTE'ing - :bye:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Enjoy :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage

Return to “The Workshop”