2000 IFS wheel bearings

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2002 D/C KZTE 4x4

2000 IFS wheel bearings

Post by ROBERT »

how do I change the rear wheel bearings on a 2000 model 2.7 SRX, I know there is a thread for it somewhere, but I cant seem to find it.
I guess I need a puller as well. how do you applie the correct preload to the bearings when reassembling the hub
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: st lucia
Vehicle: hilux

Re: 2000 IFS wheel bearings

Post by oom dan »

hello robert, it's a ball bearing held in place by press fit collar and snap ring (no pre load) you will need help to cut off the old collar and remove old bearing, buy the bearing kit complete with new seal. check it's the right kit there are two types off diff local and import. better to get the new collar pressed on, heating it up with a blow torch and hammering it on not good
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by oom dan »

sorry man this is not a DIY job unless you have the experience and a well kitted workshop I didn't want to make it sound simple, has one of the bearings failed completely or can the truck be driven.
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

its a friends car, we are not sure if it is the bearing as it was replaced about 20000km ago, I am going to listen to the noise its making over the weekend, it could be a number of thing, IE propshaft oval drums, a warped disc, he described the sound as a rubbing sound, I just wanted ot know how easy it is to replace, I had both my rear wheel bearings replaced by auto box in koedoespoort
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by oom dan »

good call raise the back and rock the wheels any movement is bad also if bearings are worn gear oil will start to leak past the seal into the brakes good luck
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

thats indeed the plan, take it for a drive see what sound it makes the jack up and start inspecting
4x4Maniac
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

2000 IFS wheel bearings

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Also buy an inexpensive mechanic stethoscope and place it on the diff when the rear has been jacked up. Maybe it's could also be dry diff, which you can fill up through the inspection hole at the top of the diff. Remember to not have it 4x4 when jacked up and place something in front of the car.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

It can also be the diff's bearings inside the diff.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “The Workshop”