KZTE intercooler

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2002 D/C KZTE 4x4

KZTE intercooler

Post by ROBERT »

Heres a question,
we all fit SAC, and such intercoolers to our KZTE's and unless we modify them they are bottom mounted, a few people have made top mount ones, however wouldnt it be easer to just put a D4D intercooler in as it is already designe to be top mounted and to fit the D4D scoop on the bonnet. just a thought I would like some peoples opinions. I will look at a D4D this weekend and compare it to the KZTE to see if it will fit
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ-TE D/C

Re: KZTE intercooler

Post by Derren »

Possibly because the bottom mount requires the least amount of work?

When I spoke to Hoppy last year about moving mine from the bottom to the top (I don't have space to put it in front) we ended up deciding that while it is working just let it be.
Toyota Hilux D/C KZ-TE 2001
TJM Bumper, TJM XGS Suspension (with Bilstein shocks), Gomad Alu-Canopy, Snorkel, Chip & Intercooler, Dual Battery
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Four Wheel Drive Club - Western Cape
Hilux4x4.co.za Club
NardusJVR
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: hilux 2.8TD

Post by NardusJVR »

what is the price of such intercooler? will it fit on a 2.8td sfa
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

Nardus,
no idea give SAC a call, I bought mine with it. the problem with the bottom mount, especially if you have an integrated bullbar, is that the intercooler housing is the first thing that hits an obstacle
NardusJVR
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by NardusJVR »

that might cause trouble! mine is custome built so i'm sure i can make a plan. do you have dimentions of this cooler for me. Pleassse man!
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

Which cooler, the SAC or D4d cooler, to get the dimensions of the SAC I need to strip the whole intercooler off the car (major mission) I dont have A D4D intercooler to measure, maybe someone else on the forum can open their bonnet and measure
Jxjdm
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: '05 Raider 2.7i Legend 35. '99 Honda civic vtec. '99 Honda CR250R

Post by Jxjdm »

Front mounts are more effective than top mounts, due to better and cooler airflow. Top mounts usually suffer from heat soak created in the engine bay.... Hot air rises.
NardusJVR
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by NardusJVR »

ROBERT wrote:Which cooler, the SAC or D4d cooler, to get the dimensions of the SAC I need to strip the whole intercooler off the car (major mission) I dont have A D4D intercooler to measure, maybe someone else on the forum can open their bonnet and measure

Sac cooler? Just want to know more or less! Eg. 100mm x 250mm x 500
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Post by SWARTLUX »

Could be because the bonnet scoop is so bloody expansive!Someone one the forum told me its about R2k just for the plastic scoop alone.Maby you can get it cheaper at one of these fong kong motor racing shops or something simmilar?
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

Or find one in a scrapyard and get the scoop and intercooler and OEM intercooler pipes
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

Hi Nardus, sorry mate I will have to strip my cooler off to measure it I have only seen it once (when it was lying on the ground after n BMW kindly stripped it off for me) I will see if I get time in the near future s its quite a job.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

I have the SAC fitted at the bottom with the bash plate, all I can say is make sure to run water through it after driving in mud :eh:
SPF
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Hartbeesfontein
Vehicle: 2001 Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 D/C

Post by SPF »

Jxjdm wrote:Front mounts are more effective than top mounts, due to better and cooler airflow. Top mounts usually suffer from heat soak created in the engine bay.... Hot air rises.
Can IC be front mounted on a 2001 KZTE?
4x4Maniac
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

KZTE intercooler

Post by 4x4Maniac »

SPF wrote:
Jxjdm wrote:Front mounts are more effective than top mounts, due to better and cooler airflow. Top mounts usually suffer from heat soak created in the engine bay.... Hot air rises.
That is a good question as I would also think an IC in the front is the way to go, however I don't thing there's space unless you modify the grill? I also have the bash plate SAC and those pipes I'd really want to make shorter. The question is would it make a difference if the are shorter?
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

http://www.cirruscoolers.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - they sell a front mount cooler for the KZ
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ-TE D/C

Post by Derren »

4x4Maniac wrote:
SPF wrote:
That is a good question as I would also think an IC in the front is the way to go, however I don't thing there's space unless you modify the grill? I also have the bash plate SAC and those pipes I'd really want to make shorter. The question is would it make a difference if the are shorter?
I queried Cirrus a couple of years ago.
http://www.cirruscoolers.com/index.php/ ... t/hilux-kz

There is space in front of the radiator in the face-lifted KZ-TE (2002 and later?) but for the model before that there isn't enough space without modifying a bit.
If you have a off-road bumper that might give you the space unless you have a winch.
Toyota Hilux D/C KZ-TE 2001
TJM Bumper, TJM XGS Suspension (with Bilstein shocks), Gomad Alu-Canopy, Snorkel, Chip & Intercooler, Dual Battery
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Four Wheel Drive Club - Western Cape
Hilux4x4.co.za Club
SPF
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Hartbeesfontein
Vehicle: 2001 Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 D/C

Post by SPF »

Thanx for the info guys. I contacted cirrus and the IC can be front fitted on the 2001 KZTE, with small modifications - the bumper will be moved max 15mm and the louvres under the bumper will be cut a little bit shorter. IC @ R 4350. Check out their webpage - http://www.cirruscoolers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

had a look at the cirrus website, If you are runnig the std bumper it should be fine, however if you have a bullbar and winch, the IC will get no airflow as it will be directly behind the winch.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

The ideal would be for those with replacement bumpers, winches & spotlights to mount the intercooler like the KZTE Prado's ontop of the motor instead of at the bottom.

Some members have done it themselves with a bit of engineering work.
Johan Marais
4x4Maniac
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

KZTE intercooler

Post by 4x4Maniac »

JohanM wrote:The ideal would be for those with replacement bumpers, winches & spotlights to mount the intercooler like the KZTE Prado's ontop of the motor instead of at the bottom.

Some members have done it themselves with a bit of engineering work.
I have ARB bumper, sufficient space however probably not enough airflow... I'll stick with my SAC IC for now. Just have to get a snorkel
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Post by SWARTLUX »

SWARTLUX wrote:Could be because the bonnet scoop is so bloody expansive!Someone one the forum told me its about R2k just for the plastic scoop alone.Maby you can get it cheaper at one of these fong kong motor racing shops or something simmilar?
Het Sondag by montana fleamarket by een van die motor racing shops die toyota bonnet scoop gesien vir R250 definitief 'n knock off mar lyk presies dieselfde teen baie goedkoper :thumbup:
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by SWARTLUX »

Ook beskikbaar in Bling weergawe
Hood_Scoop_Cover_for_Toyota_Hilux_Vigo.jpg
Quintus
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux DC KZTE 4x4; FJ Cruiser

Post by Quintus »

SAC fitted my intercooler at around 5000km after new. After 10 000km the whole thing was lose and hanging by the hoses and the two front small bolts. I drilled four holes through to match existing holes in the crossmember and fitted biggest bolts I had (probably size 17). Still lasting witout ripping off of serious damaging the heads.
frik
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: KZTE 3.0 4x4

Post by frik »

ROBERT wrote:Heres a question,
we all fit SAC, and such intercoolers to our KZTE's and unless we modify them they are bottom mounted, a few people have made top mount ones, however wouldnt it be easer to just put a D4D intercooler in as it is already designe to be top mounted and to fit the D4D scoop on the bonnet. just a thought I would like some peoples opinions. I will look at a D4D this weekend and compare it to the KZTE to see if it will fit
Hi Robert
I mounted mine ontop of my engine with a 3.0 D4D Scoop. The reason why I did not buy the original Intercooler was simply I had a intercooler paid for from SAC.
If you have the cash I would say buy the kit from the agents or the scrapyard rather than modify.
All I can say it is the best mod I have ever done to my Bakkie it seriously pulled better fuel consumption much better and yes the rest is history. Lastly the scoop gives it some windgat look.
Everything keeps going right Toyota
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

SPF wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16635&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbup:
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

SWARTLUX wrote:
SWARTLUX wrote:Could be because the bonnet scoop is so bloody expansive!Someone one the forum told me its about R2k just for the plastic scoop alone.Maby you can get it cheaper at one of these fong kong motor racing shops or something simmilar?
Het Sondag by montana fleamarket by een van die motor racing shops die toyota bonnet scoop gesien vir R250 definitief 'n knock off mar lyk presies dieselfde teen baie goedkoper :thumbup:
Not a damn!

Jy moet asb weer gaan kyk en my presies se waar daai winkel is, ek kry net die scoops wat baie sleg lyk!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
TunaTruck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 4x4 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Post by TunaTruck »

Hi, I installed a Motorcade FMIC on my 3.0 D4D Tuna, want to sell the old Intercooler with pipes if anyone is interested to recoup some of the cost. Asking Price R2000. The whole conversion and piping cost me about R7000.
Would also consider swopping bonnets with the scoop if the colour match 100% (White) and extra R1000 for the scoop. Saves you the cost and effort of cutting out the bonnet for the new scoop.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”