3.0 KZ-TE to recon or to get a low mileage import?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

3.0 KZ-TE to recon or to get a low mileage import?

Post by Donkey »

Today I went pass Ralph of Toyo Service Centre to try and get an estimate on the repairs required to sort my truck out. It has been using oil and now and then there'll be some white smoke (oil burning).

There's two options as he says, one to get a low mileage import, I have gone this route previously with my 4AGE and it didn't last long as it blew a head gasket, so I'm very sceptical.

The second option would be to overhaul the current motor, which will be work out better and cost effective in the long run.

I'm still awaiting a quote from them and so have no idea of the value of each and obvioulsy money will be a major factor here.

How much should I expect more or less to pay for either option? And are there any other working options?
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
J.C Avis
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Otjiwarongo
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Hilux D/c 4x4 3.0 KZ-D-4D. Suspencion lift,160 liter spare tank. Navigator spots. Double battery system. Tour 'trallies'. Spare wheel carrier. Roof rack. Canopy.

Re: 3.0 KZ-TE to recon or to get a low mileage import?

Post by J.C Avis »

Ek wil een of ander tyd my Kz engin met Sac op verkoop en d4d insit,wat is die pryse nou vir die kz engins 2de hans. Kilos 230 000. Geen fout of olie gebruik,nuwe turbo.
J.C Avis
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Japie I'm not sure if I stand under you properly (understand you), you want to replace your KZ-TE for a D4D at SAC, and wanting to know how much are the 2nd hand KZ-TE's?
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Well,

If I have to do the math my sentiment is that you recon your own motor and know what and by whom it was done. With an improt it is a gamble.

All the spares, including new pistons was about R10k a year or so ago at Gemini. AFAIK Allen Y Brink is the guys doing recons(The factory) but are open for correction.

BUT if you have to spend money on a new motor, the D4D option is worth considering!!!

Then another BUT - Why do you feel you have to recon th engine? Using oil and smoke now and then is not that bad?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

That's what Ralph suggested, who am I? :think:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 2002 D/C KZTE 4x4

Post by ROBERT »

Tumelo,

Allan Y brink just redid a cruiser 2f motor for use. (big ends, all bearings, pistons, rings, head refurb including converting to run on unleaded) the bill is about R20K and they only use genuine toyota parts
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Robert I sense some witchcraft here, as your post comes in I'm looking for this post to update, :lol: anyway here goes:

The quote I got two weeks ago comes to R30k, I was like yoh :shock2: for real. This includes parts even radiator, labour, and engineering work. Parts alone come to R18k, so looking closer after my shock a Toyota radiator is quoted just over R5k :shock2: , just recieved a quote from Silverton for a Alu one for R935 excl. VAT. Already I'm saving R4k.

So the plan is to buy my own spares, except things like pistons etc which will be dictated by the engineering. At this rate I will get it to an acceptable/affordable figure - though i'm not stressing :beach:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

ROBERT wrote:Tumelo,

Allan Y brink just redid a cruiser 2f motor for use. (big ends, all bearings, pistons, rings, head refurb including converting to run on unleaded) the bill is about R20K and they only use genuine toyota parts
Thanks for the heads-up :thumbup: Robert.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

yup the geniune toyota radiator put in my van after the accident was R6550 or something. get someone to drive into you then their insurance has to pay for the radiator and anything else they damage
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

Contact D1 imports and have a look at thier motors what I have seen of them they are very good.0846048609
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Rodney thanks will have a look, though I'm leaning more to over-hauling current one cos then I'll know it was done right and good, you tend not to know what you're getting into with imports, been there before.

It seems it may work out cheaper than the R30k previoulsy quoted if I buy my own spares cos I also get good discounts from Imperial in Commissioner, e.g. for complete gasket set, water pump, oil pump, thermostat, radiator cap, cam belt and tensioner it came to R9,192.77, saving R1,592.77 after discount (it's a lot of moola to save :thumbup: ) So we'll be getting these month end, and tackle the rest as savings/budget allows - we'll get there! :yahoo:

So ya that'll be my approach. Saving, saving, saving. :cooldude:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Donkey wrote: for complete gasket set, water pump, oil pump, thermostat, radiator cap, cam belt and tensioner it came to R9,192.77, saving R1,592.77 after discount (it's a lot of moola to save :thumbup: ) So we'll be getting these month end, and tackle the rest as savings/budget allows - we'll get there! :yahoo:

No man, these prices are still a rip off!

Have you tried Gemini?

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Will make time to compare :thumbup: and let you know.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Donkey wrote:Will make time to compare :thumbup: and let you know.
Yes Gemini, but also be careful to by critical components like viscous fans, water pump etc from them. The viscous I bought was off for the first 10km and there after on. You could stop for three hours and it stays on, or if the Lux stood in the sun it is on :(
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Thabogrobler wrote:
Donkey wrote: for complete gasket set, water pump, oil pump, thermostat, radiator cap, cam belt and tensioner it came to R9,192.77, saving R1,592.77 after discount (it's a lot of moola to save :thumbup: ) So we'll be getting these month end, and tackle the rest as savings/budget allows - we'll get there! :yahoo:

No man, these prices are still a rip off!

Have you tried Gemini?
R9192.77 for just that, come on, that is too much. Try Barry at 4x4 Ultimate.

The best is the piston rings and big and small ends is not even in the price?
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

louis fourie wrote:
Donkey wrote:Will make time to compare :thumbup: and let you know.
Yes Gemini, but also be careful to by critical components like viscous fans, water pump etc from them. The viscous I bought was off for the first 10km and there after on. You could stop for three hours and it stays on, or if the Lux stood in the sun it is on :(
Thank you guys for the input, Louis how do I know when the viscous fan has gone? More importantly how does it work? :think:
Bouhgt some spares this month and will also be saving a bit.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

stick your finger into the running fan, when the engine cold you should be able to stop the fan ,when the engine is hot it should chop your finger off. if it chops your finger of when its cold or you can stop it when its hot then your coupling is gone :tease:
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

Sorry I could not help myself. I have seen a couple of mechanics testing it this way, I just dont have the guts to grab a fan runnig at that speed
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

ROBERT wrote:stick your finger into the running fan, when the engine cold you should be able to stop the fan ,when the engine is hot it should chop your finger off. if it chops your finger of when its cold or you can stop it when its hot then your coupling is gone :tease:
Thanks Robert :thumbup: knowing myself and my biggish mouth I may have also answered that way :mocking:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

Sorry Tumelo,

But Like I said I have seen it, I worked at a landrover workshop as vacation work when I was studying and saw one of their mechanics grabbing a viscous fan, he didnt lose too much skin on his knuckles
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Ok now you have me confused cos I'm now not sure if you're playing or not. :cooldude:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

I have seen it done but wouldnt recommend it, losing fingers and all could leave a bloody mess in your engine bay, there must also be a more scientific method of doing it
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

:thumbup: :lol:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

ok so heres a couple of ways to test (looked it up on google quick, I am witng for a drawing to update),

when the engine is cool (and off) you should be able to turn the fan easily by hand.
Run the engine up to temperature the switch off. IF yiu can still turn the fan easily by hand the coupling is dead, the coupling should be hard to turn when the engine is hot. you can also use the finger method but substitute the fingers with a piece of stiff cardboard.
last method is to run the car till warm then turn it off whilst watching the fan, it should turn more than a revolution after the engine has stopped :thumbup:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Thanks for the erffort Robert :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

This morning I went past Gemini Parts to quote a few parts seeing I'm buying them bit by bit;

Complete gasket set - R900 (Stealers R1777.44)
Oil pump assembly - R1540 (Stealers R 2346.44)
Glow plugs - R440/set :shock2: (didn't even bother asking stealers on this cos I can also source from Diesel City cheaper can't remember price now) - but I'm really shocked at this price, not that I'm complaining.

What do you guys advise?
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

bump
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Donkey.May be i am wrong,but the gasket set and the oilpump assembly i will get from the stealers.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Lollie wrote:Donkey.May be i am wrong,but the gasket set and the oilpump assembly i will get from the stealers.
Not necisarily(or something close to that spelling??)

Gemini imports good quality parts, but do your homework if it compares to OE quality.

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Thanks for the responses guys, but this is exactly what I am trying to ascertain :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Racing snake »

Tumelo. Give Sidney at MSC engineering a call and let him check out your motor. Maybee you don't need to replace some of the parts you are looking at. They do all their own engineering, Head skimming, valve guides & seats, reboring etc. Only don't do crank grinding. His work is top class and at realistic prices. They are in Jan Smuts ave, Randburg. Pm me if you want his cell number.
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

Hey Donkey, Let me know if you want to replace. I possibly know of a guy who has a complete perfectly running KZ engine for roughly R10k. He was looking for a Lexus because he wanted more power. :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Thank you for the input so far.
@ Brian - even though it may be costly but I think if they are to open the motor, they may as well replace everything, then I know the devil I'd sit with :thumbup: , after all it has done 320k km so I might as well.

@Francisco - what mileage is this motor sitting on?
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

Donkey wrote:@Francisco - what mileage is this motor sitting on?
I am not too sure, I have asked my wife to find out as it is a guy who is working with her. Will let you know but remember. I don't drink lite's!!! :boss: I drink JW blue :twisted:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

After fixing that truck of yours, you'll also be on Lite's :mocking:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

Donkey wrote:After fixing that truck of yours, you'll also be on Lite's :mocking:
I will have to unfortunately correct you on your statement… :boss:
I will not be on lite’s!!! :banned: I won’t be able to afford it… :aggresive: I will be on windpomp wyn… :oops: :taunt:

Okay, so I found out about the engine. :thumbup: It is a KZ witch will be coming out of a Prado. It has done just over the 300k. It as also apparently never been opened and comes with the intercooler. :thumbup: Doubt this is what you will be looking at as your engine has also got just over 300k on the clock… just thought it was worth the mention.
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

10 points for effort, thanks :thumbup:
Is the I/C front mount or top mount, could be a project I'd love to tackle one day. Please see if you can get a pic or two :beg:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Eih Donkey,

My Kz is on its way to 380km's and still going strong.

Is the recon really, really needed?

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

:naah:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Donkey wrote::naah:
Great then,

Keep the moolah's in the piggy bank to save for the Labola and carry an extra 5L of oil in your truck!

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

:lmao:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

Donkey wrote:10 points for effort, thanks :thumbup:
Is the I/C front mount or top mount, could be a project I'd love to tackle one day. Please see if you can get a pic or two :beg:
It is the top mount I/C. Here are a few pics and it looks quite clean...
IMG_4781a.JPG
IMG_4781a.JPG (32.71 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
IMG_4780b.JPG
IMG_4780b.JPG (37.11 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
IMG_4779c.JPG
IMG_4779c.JPG (33.72 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

thanx buddy :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

So yesterday my truck went in to Toyo Service Centre for the overhaul and I must say I'm excited. Can't wait.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
4x4Maniac
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Good luck D, hope its not gonna be too expensive...
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Finally my truck is ready and will be collecting it tomorrow morning. Did a complete overhaul and my reason being I don't know how the previous owner drove it and now I know what I'm starting off with. R25k dug a deep hole in my pocket :shock2: but for peace of mind I'm happy and now mileage sitting on 320k km's I can look forward to more happy miles and will look after the engine :celebrate:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

:dance1: good news,you've had your fair share of problems,hope all runs smooth from now on :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Thanks buddy :thumbup:
It's not nice not having your own truck.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
4x4Maniac
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Great, glad you got it back, and only in a nick of time.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

I can only :celebrate: , thanks buddy
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Donkey wrote:Thanks buddy :thumbup:
It's not nice not having your own truck.
Know the feeling,it's like one of the children have gone missing :mocking:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Return to “The Workshop”