"Sonbesie" sound on clutch

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
ernstvdberg
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC

"Sonbesie" sound on clutch

Post by ernstvdberg »

For some time now I've had a high pitching noise while riding, when the clutch is depressed or the gear disengaged it stops. If I depress the clutch peddle while driving by as little as 5mm the noise disappear. The dealer (as always) and now out of warrenty said that it is the release bearing on the clutch which does not make sense and abviously they want to overhall the bakkie........

I've read at some other forums that this is quite common and they refer to the "sonbesie" effect/ noise. I qoute: "Die geluid is afkomstig van die vurk wat in die middel van die belhousing "pivit" op 'n ronde bal/pen wat aan die belhousing vas is. TOYOTA smeer Mobileendisulfiet gries aan die pen/vurk wat die sondesie dan stil maak. Om dit te doen moet die hele ratkas uitgehaal word R3500"

Any thoughts?

Ernst
FUDGES
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: D4D 3.0l

Re: "Sonbesie" sound on clutch

Post by FUDGES »

My Mechanic also sprayed some stuff on that same thing to kill the sonbessie sound for free.

And that was 10 000km's back
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I think Hoppy or Mr. B also mentioned something about this a while back...

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

I had/have the same problem with my KZ.Q20 does not work - burns away too quickly. I've bought Coppaslip in an aerosol can. It can take 1000°C and lasts a lot longer, but not for always :(
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Fortuner 4x4

Post by Tsa »

Hi and welcome ernstvdberg.

I had exactly the same issue on my KZ. In my case it was indeed the release bearing, but with the help of Hoppy he sprayed some doom(not sure what it was) into there to kill the bug. This help for about 10 000kms, but it is back again.
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

Seems to me that this is a very common problem cause I have the exact same problem, my 3d4d only has 105000km on but this problem started some 20 000km ago.Dealers also told me that it is the release bearing, my friend however who's technical very cluedup told me the same thing about the "ball and fork" thingy. Where do you spray the stuff in, and what and where can I buy it?

O ja, ek is so bly ek het uiteindelik op 'n site afgekom waar mense dieselfde probleme ondervind, gedink my bakkie is die enigste een met die verskeinsel. Myne het begin soos 'n kriek, maar is defnitief 'n sonbesie!

Thanks
RianC
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Hi All

My F.I.L has a 2010 3.0L D4D and had the same issue, first Toyota replaced the clutch with a standard 1, about 2 weeks ago it started again after 10K Km's, he took it back on Monday this week and and on Friday they replaced it with a new "upgraded" kit which will prevent this from happening again????

All done for free by Toyota, supposedly there's a new internal memo regarding this problem and they now have to replace with this upgraded part.

I'm trying to get my hands on this memo as he has requested it to keep with the documents of the vehicle incase it starts again.

If I get it, I'll scan it in and post it here for you all to read.

Good luck
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Glad to hear that TSA is coming to the party in this regard, Zane. :thumbup: Rian, perhaps you and the others that are having the same issue will also have some joy if you get that memo from Zane. Good luck! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

Hi Maddoglips, I will appreciate it if you can source this memo. Mud Dog, I'm not sure if TSA will be coming to the party for me, since my warranty has expired last year Nov. However, this problem was brought to their attention in Spet 2010 already.
Thanks
Rianc
anton obeco
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: 2008 D4D 4x4

Post by anton obeco »

This is how my problem started. I gathered it must be the trust bearing (release bearing) because the "son besie" changes its tune when you put your foot on the pedal. But then my clutch became harder and harder to operate. My bakkie is at Honeydew Toyota now with the box out, the pressure plate of the clutch is packing up, and they want R7200 to replace. I have a 2009 D4D 4x4. only 61 000km, no towing. They reckon the Warranty and Service plans don't cover clutches...
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

Gedurende die RDW trip het die sonbesie begin wakker word in my bakkie,,,,is meegedeel dat dit nie ernstig is nie en het so aangegaan to gister wat ons die bakkie pak en wil ry,,,wat gebeur toe....

As jy die koppelaar pedaal intrap word daai sonbesie erg kwaad en hy raas verskriklik maak nie saak hoe diep of hoe min jy aan die pedaal trap nie en dan val die enjin revolusies......

so iets sê vir my hier is meer as net n besie betrokke.. :think:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

so iets sê vir my hier is meer as net n besie betrokke..
Stem saam. Beter dat jy dit laat nasien ..... kan miskien 'n release bearing wees wat ge-seize het. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”