Hilux - when is far to one side becoming dangerous

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Re: Hilux - when is far to one side becoming dangerous

Post by legend35 »

I would say About 40 degrees,but that thingy on the dash wont show you that.It shows 30 deg or 35 deg max :thumbup:
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Zandyl
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mokopane
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 DC

Post by Zandyl »

Inclinometer
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Gary you are referring to roll-over angle as far as I know.

It all depends on your vehicles COG and on the bakkie you are referring to, as Johan said, is probably about 35°

To God be the glory
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I think another term is "Tilt"
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The instrument is a clinometer and the terminology is 'pitch and yaw' or 'pitch and roll' Pitch refers to the nose up or down angle and roll is the side-way inclination ... as Cassie says, referred to as 'roll over angle'. I would estimate that it's closer to 40° than 35° on a standard vehicle ... probably 38 / 39°. Don't know that I've ever seen it in a spec sheet, but that's probably because every vehicle becomes so different from standard dependant on a vast number of things like how much the driver weighs and what side the vehicle is then leaning toward .... how many passengers and how is the weight distributed .... how full is the tank .... what is loaded in the back / on the roof rack ... is there a suspension / body lift .... how soft or rigid is the suspension, tyres and tyre pressures .... etc., etc.. If one imagines the wheels on the lower side to be the pivot point, the roll over angle is reached when there is more weight past the vertical of this point than on the upper side. As a guideline, if you take an imaginary line from the centre of your tyre on the ground to the centre of the front lip of the bonnet (or the centre of the top of the grille) ... if this line approaches the vertical, you are close to roll-over. This is just a guideline in a situation without any load and doesn't apply to all vehicles. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
warrenaken
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X04

Post by warrenaken »

37 degrees if I remember correctly (not to be pedantic). But of course any changes to tires, suspension, RTT, etc will change this.
Edit: see Andy posted while I was typing :idea:
Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Roll-over angle depends on many things like Andy said. Rooftop tents, jerries on the roof, spare wheels on a roofrack, all contribute to lowering that angle. Tyre pressures also comes into play. It also depends on the type of terrain you are traversing. Undulation underfoot and soft sand also has an effect on it. So there is no hard and fast rule. Some manufacturers (Nissan Navara) claims almost 50 degrees as the roll over angle in their spec sheet. Remind me to be on the uphill side of anybody trying to prove that. :shock: :shock:

You need not worry though, unless you are Rambo or Chuck Norris and have no fear, your internal "yaw sensor", situated in your gut, will make you chicken out before the vehicle reaches it's limit. :lol: :lol:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

ThysdJ wrote:Roll-over angle depends on many things like Andy said. Rooftop tents, jerries on the roof, spare wheels on a roofrack, all contribute to lowering that angle. Tyre pressures also comes into play. It also depends on the type of terrain you are traversing. Undulation underfoot and soft sand also has an effect on it. So there is no hard and fast rule. Some manufacturers (Nissan Navara) claims almost 50 degrees as the roll over angle in their spec sheet. Remind me to be on the uphill side of anybody trying to prove that. :shock: :shock:

You need not worry though, unless you are Rambo or Chuck Norris and have no fear, your internal "yaw sensor", situated in your gut, will make you chicken out before the vehicle reaches it's limit. :lol: :lol:
Yep, any little bump on an undulating surface while precariously inclined to the side feels like (and could) push you past the roll-over point. Your natural 'yaw sensor' as Thys aptly calls it is normally a good warning, but what worries me is that as with many such unnatural feelings, one can become 'used' to it and your senses a little dulled, leading you into dangerous territory ... all fine and well if it's not your daily runner, you've got a roll cage and you're not on a mountain side so that you won't roll far, but I for one don't want to put my Lux (or myself through that).

Reckon I got quite close here :eh: ......

IMG_6302.JPG
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
FUDGES
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: D4D 3.0l

Post by FUDGES »

I was once on 38 degrees in Fudges meusered with a landmeter's tools and a friend's fancy cellphone that's got a meter . Its not a leke feeling I thought that day that's it I'm gonna rol over,but I went through fine. I've 32" tyres and a canopy at the back.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWfa8o2g_og" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”