Loadhog blades to back suspension?

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
TJL
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kliprivier
Vehicle: Previous Luxes:1998 Toyota Hilux SFA 2.8TD DC 4x4, 2 x 2.8D single cabs, 3.0 DE, 3.0 d4d x 3, 4.0 V6 Current : 2.8 GD6 4x4 D cab

Loadhog blades to back suspension?

Post by TJL »

Hi All,

I know the best option on suspension is the total upgrade, but up until such time I can afford it - what is your opinion on the addition of the loadhog blades?? see pic attached. My hilux definitely need some support at the back (was evident last weekend when I loaded the back and hooked up the caravan). Is it worthwile and safe to do this? saw the ad in the 4x4 magazine and then visited the website. :?: :crazy: Don't have a clue what it cost yet however, seems it's made by same guys as OME.
Attachments
LHX%20-%20intro1.jpg
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Loadhog blades to back suspension?

Post by JohanM »

Theuns,

Personally I do not like those extra helper blades as they tend to load the "stress" factors only on two points and that is where the extra spring bolts to the standard springs. It will cause in my opinion a leafspring to break at some stage. Also those springs limit youe wheel travel & articulation very much, which will in turn make your SFA struggle off road as the suspension cannot articulate.

Your caravan's nose weight should not exceed 75kg. So depending on the load that you loaded in the back I'm wondering if your caravan's nose was not to heavily loaded???

Also the STD suspension is able to handle loads and tow, however the tail have to hang a bit when towing as too firm suspension will cause for an unstable towing rig.

I have towed many things behind my SFA and never felt the need for firmer rear suspension.
Johan Marais
TJL
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Previous Luxes:1998 Toyota Hilux SFA 2.8TD DC 4x4, 2 x 2.8D single cabs, 3.0 DE, 3.0 d4d x 3, 4.0 V6 Current : 2.8 GD6 4x4 D cab

Post by TJL »

Thanks Johan, I must add that the vehicle did not handle bad at all! and the load in the back was probably more the culprit than the caravan (which was evenly loaded), I am also sceptical that's why I wanted some opinions. :think:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Theuns,

What did the load consist of that was in the back of the Hilux????

Maybe you should load up everything and take your rig to a weigh bridge and see how you can shift/ change things to make it more evenly loaded in the back. Also I have found that I personally cart to many things around that I don't need, not saying this is the case.

Upgraded suspension will be better but I would personally recommend OME/IRONMAN/MIKEM or TJM for a SFA Hilux.

It is not worthwhile to have the springs retentioned or rerolled as it doesn't last that long. Mine lasted 4 months before I started to save for OME.
Johan Marais
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I also don't like them for much of the reasons that Johan has already mentioned. There are guys that use them specifically for towing on road trips (not off-road) after which they are removed. This I suppose is OK, but is the cost justifiable? I think not. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

The cost is not to bad, last year they were around R1000.00 from a chap here in Jhb.

But......yes I decided against it....the day I went to the blade fitment center I enquired about them and the sales guy told me they break and break the leafs....

...so I thought it was a bit one sided as he wanted to sell me blades...anyway that is why I was there. 10 Mins later a delivery van pulls in SC Nissan....well I would not have believed it myself if someone told me. Broken leafs......so waar....... :!:

Due to Loadhog.....
bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

OOOOMS wrote:The cost is not to bad, last year they were around R1000.00 from a chap here in Jhb.

But......yes I decided against it....the day I went to the blade fitment center I enquired about them and the sales guy told me they break and break the leafs....

...so I thought it was a bit one sided as he wanted to sell me blades...anyway that is why I was there. 10 Mins later a delivery van pulls in SC Nissan....well I would not have believed it myself if someone told me. Broken leafs......so waar....... :!:

Due to Loadhog.....

:eh: Dis dan n DATSUN :acute:
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

bosjakkals wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:The cost is not to bad, last year they were around R1000.00 from a chap here in Jhb.

Due to Loadhog.....

:eh: Dis dan n DATSUN :acute:

...DUSTBIN.... :acute:
ImageImageImage
TJL
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by TJL »

Thanks all for the feedback, saving for OME seems the better option - and loading less for now! :lol:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Way to go! :thumbup: ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Rapid city south dakota
Vehicle: 85 toyota

Post by missouriman »

add some temporary coil springs.

look at your rear axle, the bump stop and bump stop pad on the frame.

you can slide the coil spring over the frame mounted stop pad and secure it there with a strap or cable type clamp.
the other end fits over the bump stop on the axle.

you can put these in when you are hauling heavy loads and take them out when you are not.

but do secure them. at least a cable style bike lock or something so that if they do come out they will not endanger anyone on the roads.

if you do not have a lift, stock front jeep springs are a good place to start.

cut them down if you need to.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

missouriman wrote:add some temporary coil springs.
This is a good suggestion, Mark, or you can also go for air-helpers, a bit more expensive but they can be set to suit the load you are carrying. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Mud Dog wrote: There are guys that use them specifically for towing on road trips (not off-road) after which they are removed. This I suppose is OK, but is the cost justifiable? I think not.
I have them fitted and must say they work when the van is heavily loaded or when towing the trailer. Must say have not done a trail since it’s been fitted.

There is no sagging even with towing the trailer. But this is a personal thing.

The load hogs also a cheat suspension lift and can be easily removed.
TJL
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by TJL »

Thanks again guys, some good suggestions here, any idea on the cost of "air shocks"? :crazy:
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by missouriman »

TJL wrote:Thanks again guys, some good suggestions here, any idea on the cost of "air shocks"? :crazy:
you will break your shock mounts off if you try to use them for load carry.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

TJL wrote:Thanks again guys, some good suggestions here, any idea on the cost of "air shocks"? :crazy:
Air shocks like Air-Spring-Supply (Firestone) for a SFA fitted are approx. R5k for rear. Excellent imho for carrying load :thumbup:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The principle IMO opinion is a very good one .... the added air pressure into the shocks relieves some of the weight off the leaf packs and assists with trim ... air, even when under pressure in a system like this, compresses further quite smoothly, so the additional 'hardness' of the shocks comes without the jarring that is associated with harder hydraulic shocks. The hydraulic component of the air shock is assisted, improving efficiency under load, ..... and they are adjustable from inside the cab, a definite plus.

My only concern however would be as Missouriman mentioned is the ability of the shock mounts to withstand the extra stresses that they were not designed for. I'm quite sure that they can take a lot more hammering than standard shocks can deliver, but how much more. You might find that there is no problem, but what if it let's you down along the road. It might be an idea to get the air shock suppliers' opinion and look at possibilities of strengthening the mounts.

The other possible downside may be the cost ... supply and fitment with the possible beefing up of the mounts initially, along with the maintenance replacement thereafter. It's my understanding that the rubber boots / seals for the air ram component of the shock are susceptible to damage and wear, requiring replacement before the life expectancy of the hydraulic component. There is also maintenance of the compressor unit and air lines to consider. Then there's the cost of total shock replacement when they've seen better days, which would be considerably more than standard units.

All things being considered, I still think that they are a viable option with real benefits. :think:

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

TJL wrote:Hi All,

I know the best option on suspension is the total upgrade, but up until such time I can afford it - what is your opinion on the addition of the loadhog blades?? see pic attached. My hilux definitely need some support at the back (was evident last weekend when I loaded the back and hooked up the caravan). Is it worthwile and safe to do this? saw the ad in the 4x4 magazine and then visited the website. Don't have a clue what it cost yet however, seems it's made by same guys as OME.Attachments
I just need to state that the pic referred to in this thread is an LHX TWIN BLADE STABILISER
http://www.loadhog.co.za/LHX%20-%20intro.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and this is the Load Hog Helper Springs
http://www.loadhog.co.za/intro.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the load hog helper springs fitted not he lhx twin blade stabeliser (as in the pic)
TJL
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by TJL »

Thanks for the info - and the correction - sorry - my fault! :oops:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Happened to be at SQuick outlet yesterday and saw a set of 'SuperSprings' with a pamphlet, does seem to be OK and the pamphlet reverse says 'approved by TSA'

Here are their deails:
http://www.supersprings.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by missouriman »

the coil springs that I mentioned are usually free...

try it and if you don't like them.. easy to pull them back out.
just make sure they are secured to the frame in case they were to get displaced.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”