NEW SUSPENSION = DRIVETRAIN / PROPSHAFT VIBRATION?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Hilux Hillary
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2009/10 Hilux 3,0 D4D, 4X4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: R87

NEW SUSPENSION = DRIVETRAIN / PROPSHAFT VIBRATION?

Post by Hilux Hillary »

Has anyone experienced a vibration after the fitment of new suspension? I fitted a full EFS suspension kit to my 2010 3.0 D4D Hilux 4X4 AUTO (45'000km clock) yesterday and found the drivetrain / propshaft to vibrate at low speed 20km/h to 40km/h.
I took the vehicle in for full wheel alignment which correct the camber, toeing etc. The wheel alignment was done by Supa Quick in Benoni whom I understand are the best in aligning wheels when suspension modifications have been done.
The vibration still occurs at low revs. A fine "humming" is felt at higher speeds.
I have done some enquiries with EFS and led to believe that this situation has occured before and after fruitless enquiries with Toyota, it was found that the yoke was installed at factory incorrectly. When the vehicle is in its normal OE suspension setup, the problem doesnt occur but only when the vehicle is raised 50mm, then a vibration was felt.
While I wait for further updates from EFS, I would like to know if anyone has any experience of the same or could advise further.
Oh and the suspension...awesome!! Just need a fix!!
2009/10 Hilux, 3,0L D4D 4X4 AUTO; BF GOODRICH AT; CONQUEROR SUPRA OFFROAD TRAILER; ONCA BULLBAR & TAILBAR, FRONT RUNNER 6 X AMMO SLIDER; H 52L NL FRIDGE & SLIDER; 29MHz GME RADIO, NL SPLIT CHARGE + 70Ah BATTERY; LIGHTFORCE 140 SPOTLIGHTS; HILUX SNORKEL
ORRU Callsign R87 ZS6IDS
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: NEW SUSPENSION = DRIVETRAIN / PROPSHAFT VIBRATION?

Post by Thabogrobler »

Same typr of problem was found on certain Defender with OME suspention. It was discovered that with the lift, the propshaft pulled out of the slip joint just a few mm too far and made the prop run out of true.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
biglux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux v6 4.0

Post by biglux »

I've had TJM fitted and have also experienced afaint vibration,but only at exactly 50km/h.
LASport who fitted it said its nothing to worry about.
But let me know what you find out.
Hilux Hillary
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2009/10 Hilux 3,0 D4D, 4X4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: R87

Post by Hilux Hillary »

biglux wrote:I've had TJM fitted and have also experienced afaint vibration,but only at exactly 50km/h.
LASport who fitted it said its nothing to worry about.
But let me know what you find out.
Ok so far the development is: I went from Onca to CRD and eventually to EFS themselves ( A BIG thank you for all the advice and support!), we changed the back leaf springs from a heavy duty setup (planned for towing offroad trailer, long-range tank, drawers etc) to a standard EFS spring setup. We also fitted "degree-block" so that the orientation of diff in relation to propshaft was more in line. The change has made a significant difference, but you can still feel a slight vibration at 35-40km/h and again at 80km/h. I noticed that they improvised by fitting spacers (washers!) to lower the centre bearing to assist the line up. PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS IF OK?
The assistance from all parties has been great but I still concerned that even a sligh vibration will have on the Auto gearbox, bearings etc.
I have planned to go to Toyota on Wednesday this week and hopefully not do the voided warranty fight.
Will keep you posted.
2009/10 Hilux, 3,0L D4D 4X4 AUTO; BF GOODRICH AT; CONQUEROR SUPRA OFFROAD TRAILER; ONCA BULLBAR & TAILBAR, FRONT RUNNER 6 X AMMO SLIDER; H 52L NL FRIDGE & SLIDER; 29MHz GME RADIO, NL SPLIT CHARGE + 70Ah BATTERY; LIGHTFORCE 140 SPOTLIGHTS; HILUX SNORKEL
ORRU Callsign R87 ZS6IDS

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”