V8 Lexus ?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Stubs
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

V8 Lexus ?

Post by Stubs »

I can get a V8 Lexus for R6500 from Mikes Place in Epping Industria, has anyone dealt with these guys, are they reputable, good,bad service etc. I have a friend of mine who just done a V8 conversion for R20,000 including buying the engine, he kept the manual gearbox etc but otherwise its a fullblown lexus V8. have driven it and it runs superb, it pulls up Sir Lowrys pass in 5th with no effort at all......he did the engine install and electrics himself but obviously outsourced work like the bell housing, powersteering, fuel, and the management system etc....All in all is this a fair price for this sort of conversion, I have some advertisments for rediculous prices for this job !!! any help would be great,

cheers
Stubs :thumbup:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: V8 Lexus ?

Post by Mr_B »

It the best bang for your buck conversion on an SFA... but but but... the Lexus V8 is very powerful... it will over time break things in your drive train... like side-shafts... propshaft joints... gearbox... clutch... etc... long list! If you are at all fuel consumption sensitive then beware, this engine is pretty heavy on fuel... 4.5 - 5km/l in town and 5.5-6km/l on the open road... which actually is not far worst than a 4Y @ 6.5 in town and 7-8km/l on the open road...

But oh the sound of that V8 in full cry... I still want one!
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

Hi Stubs, I know Mike's Place, Mike is also British, but they normaly give you a three months guarantee.
This conversion is between R45000 and R6OOOO,if you not going to do it yourself. so on that R20000 you could easy add another R30000, ask your friend to assist you!
Why not fit the Hilux 2.7efi motor, just bolt on!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Anton... reason is... the Lexus V8 is R6500... the 3RZ 2.7i can fetch as much as 20K for a good one... most guys don't realise that it's not the cost of the engine that makes the Lexus conversion so expensive... it's all the other bits... radiator, bellhousing, aftermarket ECU, tuning, exhausts... etc... I drove a SFA at Allan's place about 2 weeks ago... had the new 2.7VVTi engine installed... very smooth... very nice... also a bolt on conversion, but the engine costs around 25-30K!
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

well my mate did his for just over R20,000 K ! everything...he even showed me all the paperwork...!! to be honest he saved alot of money by installing the engine in himself, ran all the electrics side, he used to be a diesel Mech so is pretty hands on with most of the conversion, then he towed it to the different places to do the ECU, fuel, radiator etc etc...I am gonna put it all on a spreadsheet to see it more clearly and can let anyone have it who would be interested......
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cheetah »

Mr_B wrote:Anton... reason is... the Lexus V8 is R6500... the 3RZ 2.7i can fetch as much as 20K for a good one... most guys don't realise that it's not the cost of the engine that makes the Lexus conversion so expensive... it's all the other bits... radiator, bellhousing, aftermarket ECU, tuning, exhausts... etc... I drove a SFA at Allan's place about 2 weeks ago... had the new 2.7VVTi engine installed... very smooth... very nice... also a bolt on conversion, but the engine costs around 25-30K!
B I did not realise that the 3RZ 2.7i is so expensive! :eh:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

cheetah wrote:
Mr_B wrote:Anton... reason is... the Lexus V8 is R6500... the 3RZ 2.7i can fetch as much as 20K for a good one... most guys don't realise that it's not the cost of the engine that makes the Lexus conversion so expensive... it's all the other bits... radiator, bellhousing, aftermarket ECU, tuning, exhausts... etc... I drove a SFA at Allan's place about 2 weeks ago... had the new 2.7VVTi engine installed... very smooth... very nice... also a bolt on conversion, but the engine costs around 25-30K!
B I did not realise that the 3RZ 2.7i is so expensive! :eh:

Of course the guys in the industry always seem to find them a bit cheaper... but us normal civilian don't! I really like the old and new 2.7's!
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cheetah »

stubs5536 wrote:well my mate did his for just over R20,000 K ! everything...he even showed me all the paperwork...!! to be honest he saved alot of money by installing the engine in himself, ran all the electrics side, he used to be a diesel Mech so is pretty hands on with most of the conversion, then he towed it to the different places to do the ECU, fuel, radiator etc etc...I am gonna put it all on a spreadsheet to see it more clearly and can let anyone have it who would be interested......
Stubs go for it :thumbup: , Lexus V8 is powerful, please keep us inform. :beg:
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

have a big question mark over the R20 000 price tag!!

there are short cuts that can be taken
R30 000 is more on the money!!
self started a thread, about what I project my costs to be!! together will using some favors!!

there are a few things that one could skip on to save money, however me believe it not worth the saving!!

eg, the servicing of the Lexus V8 before fitting, that will include timing belt and plugs, and idler pulleys, rear main seal!! that alone is close on R3000

then some people skip on a surge tank, that can cost between R500 and R1000

fuel pumps, there are cheap ones on the market for around R500 or one can get a Bosch for over R1000!!

clutch kit even with a contact from Luk Repco(toyota clutch), direct special favor once off R1800

what about the aircon pipes and power steering pipes???

the above is a quick 7k!!
add the motor and the EFI, flywheel, bellhousing(there are good ones and bad ones)

exhaust, then it depends on whether one uses the stock manifolds(horrible things those) or branches

to do it properly me dont see it being done for 20k!! could be wrong!!

:beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

I agree that R20k sounds a bit cheap??? You'll save a bit by doing it yourself though.
Hoppy did my conversion with a Dyna clutch. He also did a brake upgrade and supplied and fitted a bigger fuel tank.
This all worked out to R55k of which almost R15k was labour.

It's great fun though!
Last edited by swartvark on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

thanks guys for all the info....I also was wondering about the 20K mark, am gonna review his papers etc and get all the info...but Oh they drive nice thats for sure !!!
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Just remember the 5 P's Stu.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

Someone I know was quoted R36500 for the Lexus conversion, all inclusive. When he came to fetch the vehicle in JHB to take it back to the coast he got as far as Krugersdorp before the engine overheated. The lights weren't working, the aircon did not work, the water flow direction through the radiator was wrong way round and he had to fix the now damaged Lexus motor. He basically had to have the conversion done over at another shop. If you skimp on some of the items it will cost you later on and will work out more expensive than doing it right the first time. In my opinion R55 000-R70 000 is a realist estimate.

PS: I wonder how they dyno'd the vehicle without overheating it ?
Last edited by 3RZ on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

ThysdJ wrote:Just remember the 5 P's Stu.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ha, Ha, I will do so....seems there alot to this V8 conversion story !!! maybe I should stay with the devil I know !! and just put a EFI on my 4Y...??? mind you if I win the Powerball on Friday night I will by everyone a V8......
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I agree with all the sentiments Stu. If you skimp on this you are going to suffer the consequences. Conversions are not for the feint hearted, and taking short cuts just spoils the entire experience. Do it once, do it right. The extra money you pay up front for a solid reputable conversion, prevents even more expenditure fixing up the problems later. :shock2: :shock2:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

How much is it for the conversion to the 2.7 then? If a proper V8 conversion is about R50k to R60k and the 2.7 is about R30k,including engines, I guess the cost of the engine becomes irrelevant?
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cheetah »

stubs5536 wrote:
Ha, Ha, I will do so....seems there alot to this V8 conversion story !!! maybe I should stay with the devil I know !! and just put a EFI on my 4Y...??? mind you if I win the Powerball on Friday night I will by everyone a V8......
Stubsie, spend +-R12000 and fit EFI to your 4y, the 4y is a good motor, Allan of Brackenfell will sort you out. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

cheetah wrote:
stubs5536 wrote:
Stubsie, spend +-R12000 and fit EFI to your 4y, the 4y is a good motor, Allan of Brackenfell will sort you out. :thumbup: :thumbup:
yep I think thats going to be my route....
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cheetah »

stubs5536 wrote:
cheetah wrote:
stubs5536 wrote:
yep I think thats going to be my route....
Good choice, keep us updated. :thumbup:
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

My father-in-law also dit the Lexus V8 conversion,but you will not believe on what!!He dit it on he,s KIA K2700 bakkie,The conv.cost around R60 000 this include the V8,Gearbox and all the fitment,the only extra was the double wheel setup at the back was modified to a single wheel setup and he also installed a aircon.But the only problem with the KIA is that it is not built for speed at all,at 160 it does not feel good on the road at all!The fuel consump.is around 6,5km/l with or without a load on the back.But that sound at full revs!!!! :yahoo:
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

I think I am also not doing the V8 route, for one I dont have 60 K......... but thanks for the update...
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

I think I am also not doing the V8 route, for one I dont have 60 K......... but thanks for the update...

Return to “The Workshop”