Temperature rising on hills

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Fish Hoek
Vehicle: 2002 2700i 4x4 DC ; 1995 2.4 SRX

Temperature rising on hills

Post by GTO »

I went away this last weekend I noticed when climbing a steep pass at +/-100kmh that my temperature gauge started to climb above half and up to about 3/4 high on the gauge.When I started going down hill again it went back to normal.It did the same on the way home,near Malmesbury there was hill after hill it just wouldnt go down,I stuck the heater on which immediatley brought it back down to its normal position just below half.The strange thing is at slower speeds on the gravel roads climbing very steep hills it never moved from its normal position?When I got to Cape Town and started climbing Ou Kaapse Weg I decided to switch the heater off I made it all the way up without the gauge moving?When I changed the coolant last year I noticed the drain plug on the block was blocked,I had to stick a screw driver down it to unblock it.So I am thinking that there is maybe a blockage somewhere so this weekend I going to stick some radiator flush in the system.Does anyone have any ideas?
2002 Hilux 2700i 4x4 DC(facelift)
1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX Raider(4x2) Still my favourite!
1985 Suzuki DR600S
1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Re: Temperature rising on hills

Post by Bushwacker »

I had a problem like this with SWAMBO's ex Honda Balade. It was a blocked radiator.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Could be an airlock as well. I remember my dad once had a problem with his corolla which suddenly just had the temp shoot up after refuelling. We then realized the petrol attendant removed the radiator cap instead of reservoirs cap to check the water level. May be the same happended to yours. All we needed to do was to open the radiator cap and while ideling, add water till it took no more water (this happened +- 15 years ago and I'm not 100% sure if this is all we had to do)

Maybe while you're at it. Check the seal on your radiator cap if the rubber is not perished by any chance. m2cw
To God be the glory
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by GTO »

Yesterday I ran the car with cap off to check if there circulation and a few bubbles came out.If there was an airlock would a few or a lot of bubbles come out.There are no leaks,so if the radiator cap was the problem can it actually suck air in? I have never changed the cap,the vehicle is almost 13 years old the only part of the cooling system that has been changed is the water pump(4 years ago) and I change the coolant every 2 years.Someone said to me it could be the fan,the workshop manual I have says it should have a slight drag on it if you turn it by hand which it has.I think I am going to try adding a radiator flush to system only problem is I'll have to wait till I do another long distance trip to see if it does it again.Today I did 60kms around town in traffic and uphills and the gauge never moved of its normal position.
1985 Suzuki DR600S
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

If your vehicle is 13 years old I would defenatly replace the radiator cap if I were you. I had a problem with a conquest which I owned (1987 model) where the water would start boiling when I shut the car of. I had the problem for a few years and tried many different things to solve this. I eventually replaced the radiator cap and problem solved.
To God be the glory
gbogh
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Grahamstown
Vehicle: 2012 Hilux DC 4x4 V6

Post by gbogh »

Is it using/losing water? Worst case scenario, could be a cracked cylinder head.
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Guaranteed that your radiator will be blocked. Had the same problem with my previous bakkie and 12 cores were blocked. Take it to a radiator service centre and let them remove the top tank and clean it. You will be surpriced what gunk is comming out of it. Remember to put in the red antifreez mixture when filling it up again.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Why the red one :?: :?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Umvubu
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lydenburg
Vehicle: Hilux D/C 4Y & Hilux S/C 2.4D & Musso 602EL

Post by Umvubu »

Most Toyota Dealerships use the red anti-freeze. :D
1993 Hilux 2.4D S/C - 31" Khumo Muds , Lockers F/R , OME Suspension , Snorkel , Extended Shackles etc
1996 Ssanyong Musso 602EL - OME Suspension
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

To prevent this Jaco!

I dont know the diffs between the red and the green, but the green looks really really psychadelic funky and extremely drinkable.. :twisted: :shock: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
SuidWes
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

:mrgreen: Sure, I understand why antifreeze is important but have heard elsewhere that one should not use just any antifreeze and that different types should also not be mixed….

Which one is the best?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

SuidWes wrote: different types should also not be mixed…. Which one is the best?
I have also heard that, and I am also curious about that. Is there any slimkop out there that can enlighten us :?: :?:

We usually put that green stuff in... :shock: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Well good question WHY THE RED ONE :?: A toyota fundy friend of mine told me only to use the red anti freez for a toyota engine :? To be honest it just might be a sales gimmic but the red one's is provided by the dealers so there might be some truth in the story. On the other hand I do know that the rust prevention liquid inside the anti freez is actually the thing that is working for us to prevent rust inside the engine that will corrote everything. So why it is red or green I am not really sure why the red one's is recommended :?:
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Umvubu
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lydenburg
Vehicle: Hilux D/C 4Y & Hilux S/C 2.4D & Musso 602EL

Post by Umvubu »

I'm using the green one now for many years and no problems with it yet......... :wink:
1993 Hilux 2.4D S/C - 31" Khumo Muds , Lockers F/R , OME Suspension , Snorkel , Extended Shackles etc
1996 Ssanyong Musso 602EL - OME Suspension
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Land Cruiser FJ62 3F

Post by Doctor V »

Mine did the same and replaced the radiator. No more probs. And a recore cost the same as a new one :lol:
'07 D4D Fortuner 4X4, OME with BF AT's
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by GTO »

Today was hot in CT was driving in traffic and uphills temperature gauge never moved from its normal running position.Does any one know how good radiator flush additives are?
1985 Suzuki DR600S
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

A couple of things that I learned. If you have and ARB type bumber fitted is reduces the airflow to the radiator by about 30 percent. Do not fit Oem Thermostats. The one from Toyota has a 25% bigger diameter for flow than the Autozone specials. I removed the radiator and had it recored with a 3 channel core from Silver radiators. No need for modifications of the tanks.

With regards to coolant, some of the cheaper green coolants eat away on the alloys that toyota use for some parts. My thermostat cover lost the whole front end as it was consumed by this cheap antifreeze. Use the Red stuff from toyota!
blikoor
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: bloemfontein
Vehicle: sfa hilux

Post by blikoor »

SuidWes wrote:Why the red one :?: :?
The original Toyota antifreeze (red) is best especially on the 2.7 and Kzte.
What is the purpose of antifreeze ?
Keep water from freezing. Neutralise chemicals in water. Prevent rust in the engine.
Prevent bubbles forming in the water. Raising the boiling point of water with a few degrees.
With non-genuine antifreeze the bubbles forming between the waterpump impeller and the casing eat small holes in to the aluminium casing which eventually leaks through to the sump.
Take some good advice from years in fleet maintenance and buy the red Toyota antifreeze.
1993 Hilux 7mge
Bullet
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: '97 Toyota Hilux D/cab 2.4

Post by Bullet »

As far as I know the colour doesn't really make a difference,just check on the anti-freeze container when u buy it for a very high ethylene-glycol concentration,some of the cheapies don't even mention this concentration
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by GTO »

I flushed the cooling system the other day and fitted a new radiator cap.
I went away this easter weekend and came back with a load of fire wood,temperature gauge never moved from its normal position.So it looks like the problem is solved.
Although I spoke to a mechanic today,he said that the problem I had sounded more like a thermostat sticking.Also I said to him the radiator has lost some fins at the bottom, he said I should replace it as well.Also the other day when I flushed the system I misted the radiator with water when it was hot and some wet patches remained in one or two places.What do you guys think?
1985 Suzuki DR600S
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

I personaly would never take any chances with a radiotor. I've I had any suspision that it might leak, I would take it to be tested, just to give me peace of mind! m2cw
To God be the glory
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by GTO »

My problem is back after 2 years since I flushed the system and changed the thermostat! :x
I was driving back from Mossel Bay on Friday and noticed the temp gauge climbing again on hills, I managed to get back home by putting the heater on on hills.
But now I cannot get the temp gauge too move above its normal position while driving up steep hills around town, it is the same symptoms as before it only does it after driving for a few hours? :?
1985 Suzuki DR600S
writerguy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Hilux 2.8 DC

Post by writerguy »

I had this exact problem.

Replaced thermostat, radiator and coolant, using Toyota bits and fluids.

Problem solved, now the gauge goes to halfway and stays there, in time honoured toyota fashion.

My guess would be that your thermostat is working intermittently hence the intermittent problem.

N
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Hi Neil,

Glad to hear your Hilux is sorted out!!! Now we can go to Namibia & Botswana, what do you say??? :scratch:
Johan Marais

Return to “The Workshop”