D4D 4x4 - New clutch issue

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
jjrossouw
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C

D4D 4x4 - New clutch issue

Post by jjrossouw »

Hi all, I had a new clutch fitted to my D4D 4x4. After the job last week, it felt great. Pedal was smooth and gear change was smooth, but since Monday the gear change is not smooth anymore (mainly from 1st to 2nd but also 2nd to 3rd). There is also more pressure on the pedal (not as soft when I got it back last week). I had the work done at a Toyota dealership. I had the vehicle back there, but their thoughts were that its the free play on the clutch, but they could not correct it with that adjustment. They then said it must be the gearbox and they will have new g/box oil added this week. But I am not sure if its gearbox. Sound like I should get a second opinion? The clutch was nearly R6k! My vehicle has done 135000 km.
JR

Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 DC
Conqueror Comfort
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: D4D 4x4 - New clutch issue

Post by OOOOMS »

I would take it to another dealership and get their opinion also, even a 3rd.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm certain that the D4D has a hydraulic clutch, and it sounds to me to be more of a hydraulic problem than anything else. Maybe a problem with the master or slave cylinders .... is it leaking hydraulic oil (brake fluid in this case) anywhere that you can see? .... Is the fluid level in the clutch hydraulic reservoir still adequate? .... Has the level dropped? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
jjrossouw
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jjrossouw »

I thought about that last night and had a look. It must be hydraulics, maybe some air in the system. I think they removed the slave cylinder (the one on the gearbox) when they removed the gearbox for the clutch to be fitted. Maybe its leaking to the inside, therefore I can't see physical leaks. At least its not a very expensive part. I hope Toyota looks at this as well. Not sure how to bleed the system myself, but I will take it to Toyota tomorrow anyway. But thanks, I think you are spot on about this.
JR

Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 DC
Conqueror Comfort
jjrossouw
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jjrossouw »

Ok, seems like the cause of this problem was identified. Upon removing the rubber boot from the slave cylinder, fluid is dripping out. Having a new one fitted now. I hope this fixes the issue. Clutch master cylinder is still fine as no leaks were spotted there.
JR

Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 DC
Conqueror Comfort
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

jjrossouw wrote:Ok, seems like the cause of this problem was identified. Upon removing the rubber boot from the slave cylinder, fluid is dripping out. Having a new one fitted now. I hope this fixes the issue. Clutch master cylinder is still fine as no leaks were spotted there.
I hope so too! :D: :wink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
koeka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: Toyota hilux D/C 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by koeka »

Jacques

Let us know what was the problem please! Then we can refer to this for future issues.

Thanks a million :thumbup: :thumbup:
Koeka
Ek stoot eerder my Toyota!! voordat ek n Land Rover ry!!

ImageImageImageImage
jjrossouw
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jjrossouw »

Hi Koeka en ander, hier is my terugvoering...
Toyota changed my gearbox oil as well as the clutch slave cylinder yesterday. The clutch lost hydraulic pressure due to the slave cylinder seals which was worn. Now the clutch feels much better and it is definitely more smooth when changing between 1st and 2nd gears. When I mentioned to the service manager that I suspect a hydraulic fault, he did not hesitate to investigate and had an open-minded approach to the issue. Well done to Toyota.
To inspect: All you need to do is pull the rubber boot away from the cylinder (the one on the cylinder) and see if there are any fluid (will be black due to worn seals) dripping out.
Often when having something fixed, something else breaks and then we are quick to point fingers to the dealers, but I realised that new parts affect old parts due to increased pressure (in this case from the new clutch). Who knows, maybe my clutch master cylinder is next - hope not :) The important thing is to maintain one's vehicle and to build a good archive of information on this website to pinpoint these issues more easily.
JR

Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 DC
Conqueror Comfort
Maverick131
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Post by Maverick131 »

Jacques,

Kan jy asb vir my sê watter clutch kit jy ingesit: Sachs, Luk-Repco, Toyota...? Sal dit waardeer!

My clutch het van Dinsdag af nou 'n effense shudder as ek wegtrek en dit irriteer my grensloos! :evil:

Groete!
Life can be a tough journey - So drive a Hilux!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Jacus, you will need to replace the clutch plate, pressure plate and of course the release bearing. This will solve your problem 99% of the time provided that it is fitted correctly ... the only time that it doesn't is if the flywheel is warped / burnt and this is most unusual. More than likely your problem has originated from a worn / burnt clutch or a pressure plate that has become warped or some of the 'fingers' on the pressure plate have become weak and applying uneven pressure.

Maverick131
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Maverick131 »

Thanks Andy!

All the items you mention in your post - they included in a clutch kit? Heard it is more expensive when you buy the parts seperately.
Allan
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Toyota D4D DC

Post by Allan »

Hi, wees baie bly dit is n Toyota, vriend van my se Navara clutch Desember opgepak.... R23560-00 haha gee my n Toyota.....R6000-00 is n druppel
Maverick131
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Maverick131 »

:wth: Liewe hemel - hoop daai clutch kan self 'n 4x4 herwinning ten minste doen vir daai geld!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

It often happens that the slave cylinder gives up after a clutch replacement! Probably because the brake/hydraulic fluid pits the cylinder bore, after the clutch re-do the seals run over the pitted bore and get eaten!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Mr D that is a very interesting comment .. something to remember for later use .......
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Maverick131 wrote:Thanks Andy!

All the items you mention in your post - they included in a clutch kit? Heard it is more expensive when you buy the parts seperately.
Sorry that I only see this now, Jacus .... yes they are all part of the 'kit'. Get a 'Sachs' or 'Luk - Repco' kit .... both are good. (that is if you're doing it yourself or having it done at a mechanical workshop .... if the vehicle is still under warranty or service plan you're stuck with the dealers). A kit should be in the region of about 1k (Midas or Autozone).

Maverick131
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Maverick131 »

Noted, thank you Andy for your feedback!

Luckilly for me, the shudder is gone now... Think the Big Man upstairs helped out a bit ;-)

Return to “The Workshop”