Deep cycle battery Box - Advice needed

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Deep cycle battery Box - Advice needed

Post by JohanM »

The time has finally arrived that I bought a the national luna split charging system, and now i'm about to fit it.

The deep cycle battery is to be mounted on the r/r wheel arch in my SFA. Reason is to keep the weight on the axle and also this is an unused space that is perfectly filled by the battery. Having looked at the various boxes available, I am now in two minds.

I would rather build a box from wood & Steel and fit the battery in the box than buying a plastic unit for R 250-00.
The reason for putting the battery in a box is to prevent it from being damaged, getting wet when I open the side doors of the canopy and also to enable me to keep it covered which looks just so much neater.

Now having given this a lot of thought, I would like to know form those that has fitted a battery, what's the in's and out's of mounting the battery.
Johan Marais
HiluxJunkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg MP
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux DC 4x4 2.7i Raider
Club VHF Licence: N15

Re: Deep cycle battery Box - Advice needed

Post by HiluxJunkie »

My box is bolted to the bak and the battery fits snugly into the box. When lid is closed, it is secured. No extra brackets inside box to hold down battery.
2001 2.7i DC 4x4 Raider. REAL MEN FOLLOW JESUS AND STILL HAVE FUN!
ImageImageImageImageImage
HiluxJunkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg MP
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux DC 4x4 2.7i Raider
Club VHF Licence: N15

Post by HiluxJunkie »

Toro-Adventures wrote:The time has finally arrived that I bought a the national luna split charging system, and now i'm about to fit it.

The deep cycle battery is to be mounted on the r/r wheel arch in my SFA. Reason is to keep the weight on the axle and also this is an unused space that is perfectly filled by the battery. Having looked at the various boxes available, I am now in two minds.

I would rather build a box from wood & Steel and fit the battery in the box than buying a plastic unit for R 250-00.
The reason for putting the battery in a box is to prevent it from being damaged, getting wet when I open the side doors of the canopy and also to enable me to keep it covered which looks just so much neater.

Now having given this a lot of thought, I would like to know form those that has fitted a battery, what's the in's and out's of mounting the battery.
I have seen what damage battery acid did to a 12v fridge when the battery leaked..........plastic box will be better......unless you can somehow seal the wood box inside with some acid proof coating that will prevent leaking.
2001 2.7i DC 4x4 Raider. REAL MEN FOLLOW JESUS AND STILL HAVE FUN!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

I did the plastic box thing. Bolted its sides inside the drawer system.

Know what you don't know.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

in the event of a "sudden stop" that battery is has a LOT of inertia !! Bolt it down properly ....

I agree with the battery acid and plastic holder story ..... so I went for a completely sealed battery and mounted it on wood.

PLEASE remember to "cover" the top of the battery. You dont want something to cross out the terminals.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

hi Johan
Here is a pick of mine.I will have to get another pick of it opened.
Inside I secured it withe the standard bracket from Midas.I also put some foam at the bottom for shock absorbent.
4 (Custom).JPG
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Nog so 'n prenkie. My hande werk lyk maar rof :oops: maar die setup werk
IMG_3340 (Small).JPG
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Hoekom nie n national luna draagbare split charger gekoop nie?Dit is baie nuttig in die opsig dat dit in die voertuig asook buite die voertuig gebruik kan word.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Johan, 'n gewone plastic battery boks kos seker nie R250 nie. Meer soos R120....
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Mark,

EK het een gesien vir R 120 maar die boks is te flimsy vir waar ek die battery wil mount. SO nou sal ek maar een bou met 'n spesiale tray in en 'n drain indien die battery sou wou sweet of so iets.

;-)

Ek hou mos van difficult wees.... :twisted: :twisted:
Johan Marais
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Reg so, het jy al na GertC se unit gekyk? Lyk goed :thumbup:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

OOOOMS wrote:Reg so, het jy al na GertC se unit gekyk? Lyk goed :thumbup:
Ek sal weer gaan opkyk, want ek onthou so installasie was baie netjies gedoen gewees. :thumbup:
Johan Marais
chopper

Post by chopper »

Mark Waar en hoe kyk ek na GertC se opset?
My keuse is nou tussen so 'n self-doen jobbie of NL se kas wat 'n hele paar Rand gaan wees :wth:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Myne is 'n staal kassie met "softboard" lining binne en 'n sliding deksel met plek vir 'n slot. Het my lux so gekoop...
Sal pics opsit vanaand as iemand belang stel.

Johan, hoekom maak jy nie 'n staal kassie met die R120 flimsy plastiek ding binne in nie? :wink2: best of both worlds...
chopper

Post by chopper »

Maak so asb Stefan :thumbup:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Hier is 2 pics
Attachments
05102010184.jpg
05102010183.jpg
JacoJB
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Melkbosstrand
Vehicle: 2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4 out

Post by JacoJB »

Johan

Het jy al gekyk na die Nasional Luna se Draagbare of los Battery stelsel.Ek weet dit is bietjie duur maar as jy in ag neem dat dit reeds met alle koppelings(hella,sigaret en brad harrison) sowel as kabels kom assok `n sekeringskakelaar is die koste nie so hoog nie.Ek het myne nou al 5 jaar en het dit in 3 verskillende voertuie gebruik en bly nog steeds baie tevrede daarmee.Gaan loer gerus hier vir meer oor die produk http://www.nationalluna.com/PPPack.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hoop dit help

Groete

Jaco
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Tinus, hier is nog info:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5527" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

JacoJB wrote:Het jy al gekyk na die Nasional Luna se Draagbare of los Battery stelsel.
Jaco, ek het daarna gekyk, maar die setup gaan nie so lekker vir my werk nie omdat ek die battery permanent wil mount en later ook dan 'n lekker sterk inverter ook permanent mount in die canopy. Die hele setup word so gedoen omdat die voertuig net gebruik word vir 4x4 ry, overlanding en lang safari's....

Die portable unit sal heel moontlik later sy plek vind in die Fortuner as hy die volgende boskar word.... ;-)
Johan Marais
witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sasolburg
Vehicle: D4D 4x4 Lux + D4D 4x4 Tuna

Post by witmamba »

Johan, hier's 'n foto van die een waarmee ek besig is. In plaas van 'n fuse gaan ek 'n 5 of 7 ampere "dc breaker" insit. Verder het dit 'n hella, 12v lighter en 'n harrison konneksie, 'n 500w 220 volt inverter, en nog 'n harrison koppeling na die hoofbattery toe. Ek gaan die bokse self opmaak en hopelik teen 'n baie goedkoper prys as N.L. se produk kan verkoop. Wag nog net vir die breakers.
Attachments
dc box
dc box
Life only starts . . . . where comfortlevels end
Stubs
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

Hi Johan, I had a dedicated aluminium box made up for me at ALUCAB. I have the 2 hella plugs and NL fridge plug mounted on top of the lid, the lid itself is rubber lined to prevent terminal interference. Inside I mounted the battery on a piece of wood also. The battery is perfect fit and does not move around even off road. the lid is held on by two clamps which allow for it to be locked. Secondly I mounted it just infront of the wheel arch next to my sliding try. Simple straps and floor mounting strips with hooks to hold it all in place. This allows for it to be taken out easy etc...I then have about a 400 mm cable lined running to my plug connection just next to the load gate so that it can be completely disconnected from the main battery etc. cheers stubs

Return to “The Workshop”