Rusty's Canopy

Members' DIY projects
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Rusty's Canopy

Post by Maddoglips »

OK so after looking and looking some more and stealing with the eyes and even more conversations over a canopy then I care to remeber, I've decided to start.

Below are the pics of the begining of my steel/alu canopy.

I baught the frame from my neighbour who started it for his Isuzu, but unfotunately rolled the van.

It was abit long and a few angles needed changing to suite the Lux but hey not the end of the world, surprisingly aswell, it only weighs about 15-20kg which aint that bad if you think about it.

The main construction is steel 38x38x2 and the top braces 25x25x2, this is now in for sandblasting and then the fun starts.

I plan on making 4 doors with slight overhangs and frame work as support.

As for the locks, I'm not sure on what I'm going to use as I'm battling to find a place local who has the push button locks like on Neils and Piets van.

I need to see what parameters it works in, so I can construct the door frames to suite.

Any advice ect.. Is greatly appreciated as long as accompanied by PICS LOL

OH sorry but pics are back to fron so first is last and last is first :oops:
Zane
Attachments
IMG00363-20100905-1614.jpg
IMG00362-20100905-1614.jpg
IMG00359-20100905-1553.jpg
IMG00358-20100905-1250.jpg
IMG00357-20100905-1250.jpg
IMG00350-20100903-1904.jpg
IMG00332-20100829-1543.jpg
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Re: Rusty's Canopy

Post by Traveler »

Zane, looking forward to the progress on this one. Going to be good.

Mine will start shortly, so I am going to be copy-righting your designs as well. :mrgreen:

Know what you don't know.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

:lol: :lol:

Heinrich

I'll just let you know all the "bloopses" and bad ideas in advance so you you can avoid them.

What I can already say is don't skimp on the hinges, get either stainless or ali from the start as going for normal backfires as the PT involved in getting them plated is more hassle then it's worth.

You got any info - drawings ect on the push button locks? I need to know the maximum clearance fron the clamping side and the max clamping thickness of the lock plate.

Thanks,

Zane
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

OK update

I got hold of 2mm Ali plate - NOT checkered :cry: but I have ideas and made my doors to fit the frame.

Then due to the fact that they have no frame, I recessed them by just over 5mm but then had to do some fancy mods to my hinges on the bender.

I also ordered my locks from CT which thanks to a M8 arrived today.

All panels have now being test fitted, frame primered and locks will be going in this weekend. Once all is confirmed again, I will start the spraying of the canopy and the inside lips with the weather seals.

Taking time, but getting there, should turn out alright. I hope :oops:

First Pic is of my 6 month old helper Donneil Dae, the oldest 1 aint interested in working with Dad, just wants to go ride over things :yahoo:
Attachments
IMG00376-20100918-1333 00000.jpg
IMG00372-20100917-1712.jpg
IMG00378-20100918-1334 00000.jpg
IMG00379-20100918-1334 00000.jpg
IMG00397-20100923-0956 00000.jpg
IMG00398-20100923-0956 00000.jpg
IMG00400-20100923-0957 00000.jpg
IMG00401-20100923-1114 00000.jpg
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Looking good! Ar you going to have the Alu places, anodized?

Did you cut the Alu sheets cut yourself or have them cut?

The push button locks, how much did you pay for each? I see the rubber on mine (after a year) is perished...
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Cheers Mark I hope it'll look good when finished.

I paid R120 a Lock, but they are solid and good quality actually, not like I expected.

The sheets I had cut here at work on the gelatine, Ali is nasty to cut by hand.

As for the finishing of the plates ect..

I was thinking of stone chipping them to give the rough texture(scratches ect.. won't show that easy) and then spraying them a light silver with the main frame black for something different. Please opinions and Ideas are more then welcome so please give.

I'm also still looking at the design for the roof rack, I have a few nifty ideas for something different.

Zane
krazy_kameleon
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 4X4 2.4 22R (fuel injection in the pipeline)

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Zane

Thats starting to look really snazzy - you guys have got some skills...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Dankie Zane, dit lyk baie netjies :thumbup: Het weer a die slotte gekyk en myne is presies die selle.....selle sleutels....myne pas op joune en almal anders s'n ook :o:

Jy sal beslis die Alu plaat moet treat, powdercoat of anodizing. Anders lyk dit na 'n ruk baie dof, nie dof soos in dof nie, dowwerig... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

OK so as you all aware, the locks arrived and so time for the fun to start.

Before I could cut any holes for the locks, I had to decide how I was going to have them clamp.

I opted to clamp onto the main frame and thus had to have the holes fairly close to the edge of the door (20mm) allowing me a 10mm clamping area on the frame.
This also allowed me to have the aposing locks next to each other but not catching 1 another. Hope that last piece makes sense :oops:

So all holes were then punched at work :yahoo: :dance1: what a blessing as I did not look forward to cutting them by hand, and the locks fitted for test purposes.

As you'll see from the pics, all the doors and locks now fit and I've started putting on the roof of the canopy and closing her up. I stone chipped the roof with a thin layer last night, and will fit the back panel and front quaters tonight hopefully allowing things to start looking like they should.

I've also started and nearly completed the door retainer frames, these should be finished this weekend and then it's just a matter of doing final spraying and fitment.

For sealing, I've looked at various rubbers but have decided to wait till she's complete, and then take it to the suppplier and see which rubber seal/type will best suite.
Attachments
IMG00403-20100924-1530.jpg
IMG00409-20100925-1136.jpg
IMG00412-20100925-1142.jpg
IMG00414-20100925-1142.jpg
IMG00411-20100925-1141.jpg
IMG00418-20100928-1915.jpg
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Hi Zane, it is really starting to look very smart indeed. I am interested in your use of the stone chip, looks neat. I'll be powdercoaring mine.

I'm also using smooth 2mm aluminium on mine.

Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Cheers H

I'm also planning on stone chipping the doors with a smooth finish frame work.

Are you going to make a frame for each door on your canopy and place a skin on, or are you going to just have the skin? Reason for asking, if you gonna do a frame and use the same type of locks, I'd suggest not going bigger then a 15 square tube frame to prevent hassles with the locks.

Cheers Zane
HiluxJunkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg MP
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux DC 4x4 2.7i Raider
Club VHF Licence: N15

Post by HiluxJunkie »

Looks lekka Mr.Zane !

I am going to make the same type of frame but was thinking of making frames for the doors as well. Why did you not make frames for the doors ? Aren't they flimsy ? Wont they bent a little when pulled tight against the sealing rubber?
2001 2.7i DC 4x4 Raider. REAL MEN FOLLOW JESUS AND STILL HAVE FUN!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Hilux Junkie :thumbup:

The reason I didn't opt for frame work around the doors is mainly cost, and then having to weld.I'm able to get welding done at work in lunches ect.. but too much is gonna cause a stir.(Provisions have been made should I wish to put in frames at a later stage)

Luckily the 2mm ali is actually damn strong and there's virtually no flex/warping, this probs also due to the doors not being that long, if it were full door, different story.

Keep us posted when you start :thumbup:

Zane
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Zane, not that this applies to you but, I think my door frames are stuck on with sica-flex. No welding.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Cheers Mark, always good to know.

I would loved to have known some 1 with a baught canopy here, so I could have a closer look at in the beginning, I'm dead sure I would've gone different routes with a few things.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

The chaps that built mine, used sica-flex to put their advertising logo on the back. Which I removed....the glue is still there..... :twisted:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Maddoglips wrote:Cheers H

I'm also planning on stone chipping the doors with a smooth finish frame work.

Are you going to make a frame for each door on your canopy and place a skin on, or are you going to just have the skin? Reason for asking, if you gonna do a frame and use the same type of locks, I'd suggest not going bigger then a 15 square tube frame to prevent hassles with the locks.

Cheers Zane
Thanks Zane, I am making two large doors (Mark's influence on that one), and therefore I will have to make frames for them.

Apart from the welding, I'll use Sicaflex on mine to put everything together, and where I need to use bolt; I'll use either allen or torx headed bolts.

GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Ek sal vir SWAMBO die moet wys :think:

Wil graag weet wat beloop jou kostes?
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

George

Costs so far are as follows:
Steel (framework) - R550
Ali plate for doors - FREE :yahoo: scrap material from work, finishes weren't right. Gonna be sprayed.
Ali strips and beading - R350
Door Locks - R1200 from Cape Town
Sundries (pops ect...) - R150
Total = R2250

Expenses still to come
Door rubbers/seals +- R500
Paint +- R250
Sundries +- R150

So in total, I'm looking at roughly R3,500 for a canopy to suite me. Then I have to do the shelving and drawer system which I'm guessing will cost in the region of another 3K so hopefully at the end 6.5K and I'm sorted. This won't all happen now though, it'll be done over the next few months, would like to have it completed before the end December so I can enjoy the Baviaans with the system.

This may be wishfull thinking, as we all know we add and change as we go but I'll have the foundations of what I want and the pleasure of having done as much as poss myself.

Zane
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Thanks Zane,
I am at the moment on R2,700 for the aluminium sq tubing I'll be using for the frame. All my sheeting is also free. At least the powdercoating is not going to cost me.

Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

H, Sounding good there, can't wait to see your post and pics.

Ali would be my 1st choice, but I'm happy for now with the steel as a "tester :razz: " as 1 day when ready, I can build my frame from Ali and then re-use my doors ect.. so not such a loss luckily, only the cost of the steel and some paint.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Might be cheating but I am considering some smaller gauge mild steel sq tubing for my inner door frames.

Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Things are coming along now after working the entire weekend.

The canopy is now on and bolted for trial this upcoming weekend at Hole in the Wall.

I still have to stone chip the doors and do the final prep and colour spraying, but this will have to wait awhile until the weather and family plays with.

I ended up using high density rubber for the door seals, and what a charm, no leaks ect.. so looking good so far. PS. Thanks to Elton for this :thumbup:

Other small items left to do is finish the locks for the rear door, this should be completed tonight and seal around the bottom edge where the canopy sits on the load body.
Attachments
IMG00430-20101002-1440.jpg
IMG00440-20101003-1057.jpg
IMG00451-20101003-1521.jpg
IMG00463-20101004-0701.jpg
IMG00466-20101004-1756.jpg
maniebrandweer
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: "ALPHA-MALE" Hilux 2700i DC 4X4

Post by maniebrandweer »

Zane, lyk baie goed. Stuur foto's van hoe jy die canopy vas gesit het op die bak asb, ek is besig met 'n alu weergawe en krap nog kop oor hoe ek hom gaan vas sit.

[img][IMG]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad13 ... age017.jpg[/img][/img]
"ALPHA-MALE"
"LEGEND I am your FATHER"
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Thanks Manie

I'll try and take some pics tonight of how I secured it.

I just used 4 of 38x38x50 angle iron and bolted it to the load bin side and then welded the same onto the frame above them. I then secured 2 bolts through each, thus holding it firmly in place.

Hopefully when I do the shelving inside, I'll be able to use these as my supports/fixing points aswell.

Zane

Return to “Build your own:”