Front brakes binding

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux V6

Front brakes binding

Post by Kykdaar »

Well, one of the benefits of the cold weather - this morning I picked up on the fact that the brakes on the right front wheel of the hilux is binding.

Seems a golden opportunity to do a major overhaul of the braking system (I am also losing brake fluid somewhere internally). Having owned a Ford XR3 in my younger years I am pretty well schooled in stripping calipers, changing seals, etc.

Only thing worrying me is that I might not be able to remove the problematic caliper off the disc or, if I manage to do so, remove the piston(s) if stuck.

Any tips from the wise? Anything else to check out while I am at it?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Front brakes binding

Post by CasKru »

Kykdaar wrote:Well, one of the benefits of the cold weather - this morning I picked up on the fact that the brakes on the right front wheel of the hilux is binding.

Seems a golden opportunity to do a major overhaul of the braking system (I am also losing brake fluid somewhere internally). Having owned a Ford XR3 in my younger years I am pretty well schooled in stripping calipers, changing seals, etc.

Only thing worrying me is that I might not be able to remove the problematic caliper off the disc or, if I manage to do so, remove the piston(s) if stuck.

Any tips from the wise? Anything else to check out while I am at it?
Nothing an air compressor can't solve :twisted: :twisted:

Maybe bleed the entire system while at it. Also go for the OEM seal set. The pirates work but....
To God be the glory
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kykdaar »

:D: Yes, I remember the compressor trick to force out the piston. Works very well :thumbup:

Agree with the OEM seal set.

Now I must just upgrade the size of my hammer - got this feeling that I am going to battle to free the caliper from the disk.

Well at least this excercise is something that I can do and then have the peace of mind to know that it has been done properly.

Will keep you updated, maybe with a few photos.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Kykdaar wrote::D: Yes, I remember the compressor trick to force out the piston. Works very well :thumbup:

Agree with the OEM seal set.

Now I must just upgrade the size of my hammer - got this feeling that I am going to battle to free the caliper from the disk.

Well at least this excercise is something that I can do and then have the peace of mind to know that it has been done properly.

Will keep you updated, maybe with a few photos.
The bigger the problem the bigger the hammer :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I've yet to find a caliper that doesn't "open" when pried with a very large screwdriver or small tommy bar ... even when the pistons / cylinders are rusted. Done carefully you can even save the pads if they're still OK. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:I've yet to find a caliper that doesn't "open" when pried with a very large screwdriver or small tommy bar ... even when the pistons / cylinders are rusted. Done carefully you can even save the pads if they're still OK. :wink:
Just remember to connect a bleeding kit to the bleeding nipple and loosen it before prying it open. If you pry it open (and the nipple is closed) and your brake fluid reservoir is full it will spill over and can damage your paint work. :shock:
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

CasKru wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:I've yet to find a caliper that doesn't "open" when pried with a very large screwdriver or small tommy bar ... even when the pistons / cylinders are rusted. Done carefully you can even save the pads if they're still OK. :wink:
Just remember to connect a bleeding kit to the bleeding nipple and loosen it before prying it open. If you pry it open (and the nipple is closed) and your brake fluid reservoir is full it will spill over and can damage your paint work. :shock:
Par for the course ... I usually drain the reservoir to almost empty, leaving enough fluid so as not to get air into the master cylinder. I actually wonder if the newer formulation fluids still damage paintwork like they used to long ago. I've had some leak from a spare bottle behind the rear seat without paint damage. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kykdaar »

An update -

As soon as I removed the pads, the problem was obvious. The pressmarks of the pistons on the back of the brakepad was clearly demarcated by the paint bubbling away around it - a clear sign of brake fluid leakage past the calipher o-rings and onto the plate. Both sides were similiarly affected.

It also explains the constant but gradual loss of brake fluid I was experiencing. Interesting to note that the leakage was not visible from a casual inspection of the inside of the wheels / calipher and that nothing dripped onto the garage floor.

Far from being seized, the well-lubricated (as a result of the leakage past the seals) pistons was in excellent condition and easy to extract from their bores by hand once the calipers was removed from the hub.

Will get a OME seal kit and replacement dust seals for the front brakes as well as new Ferodo platinum pads.

I am very tempted to also replace the brake discs as a matter of course, but it seems to be a bit more complicated on the SFA than what I am used to on a 2wd and would require the removal of the hub and the re-setting of the front bearings by some sort of scale-spring tool (according to the workshop manual)? Perhaps I should not mess with that now.

Still can't explain the smoke that came from the front wheel which led me to believe that the brakes was binding, unless the very cold weather we have been having have been playing tricks on me.

Last thing - specification is for DOT 3, but you can not get that anymore. I intend to use DOT 4 brake fluid. Is there anything else you guys use?

Cheers
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

I also used dot 4 the last time round and so fat so good. My brakes also smoke when I drive a road with lots of stops. Your discs don't get chance to cool enough before the next stop and gradually get hotter and hotter eventually causing the oil and dirt on the components to start smoking.
To God be the glory
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kykdaar »

CasKru wrote:I also used dot 4 the last time round and so fat so good. My brakes also smoke when I drive a road with lots of stops. Your discs don't get chance to cool enough before the next stop and gradually get hotter and hotter eventually causing the oil and dirt on the components to start smoking.
That can explain it - especially with the traffic the way it is and the fact that some of that brake fluid must have been clinging to the nooks and crannys of the calipher :thumbup:

Just got off the phone from Toyota and Partman. For a replacement brake kit (seals and dustcovers) on both front caliphers - Toyota R854.00 and Part-Man R175.00

Now apart from the feeling that Toyota is a bunch of thieves and that I should always take KY jelly along on any visit to a stealership, the simple question is "Is it really worth while to pay a R679.00 premium for the OME parts in this case?"
Muz
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 Raider, Suzuki SJ413, Landcruiser FJ40

Post by Muz »

I've used the ones from Midas. one piston seemed to stick for a while. still need to bleed them again, but works. OEM ones are a bit pricey!! :evil: :x
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kykdaar »

Muz wrote:I've used the ones from Midas. one piston seemed to stick for a while. still need to bleed them again, but works. OEM ones are a bit pricey!! :evil: :x
Try Gemini - see my last post here - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12589

(Link fixed - F_D)

Return to “The Workshop”