Hilux info wanted

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
addy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Vancouver
Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Tacoma 1997 Toyta Hilux 2.8TD DC Raider

Hilux info wanted

Post by addy »

Hello,
My name is Addy and I live in Vancouver B.C.
I am new to this forum and have been referred to by one of your members. I just recently bought a Hilux and have not any experience with that model. So here it goes.
1997 Hilux 2.8TD DC Raider 4x4

I would appreciate some advise regarding the above Toyota. I have owned it for a few months only. A real novice you could say.
I plan to travel between May and Sept. 2008 to Kaokoland, Mamili, Liuwa Plains and South/North Luangwa.
As the bakkie has 245 000 km under its belly, how should I prepare for that trip regarding possible mechanical problems.
I plan to have a RTT installed. Would the Howling Moon tourer 1.2 model be a good choice?
It has OME suspension, rear diff lock, lg. range tank, a warn winch and a safari snorkel.
There is so much technical knowhow, especially as to Toyotas etc. on this forum that any input and ideas would be greatly welcomed.
I''ll post a picture once I find out how to do it.
ImageImage
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: Hilux info wanted

Post by Niel »

Hi Adolf, welcome to the forum and from your post sound like a lot of mods have been done already. I am sure your questions will be answered. :D
addy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by addy »

Well, not too many suggestions.
Perhaps I did not ask the fitting questions.
What I would like to find out from the Hilux community is, considering the age and km of the vehicle, what spares should I consider and what items I shouln't leave without before going on a trip like the one I have planned. What should I especially be concerned about. I'm sure that over the years some Hilux owners have had some rather interesting things happening to their rigs.
Thanks
Addy :| [img]
ImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hi Addy

I am not really experienced in over-landing / bush repairs, we have other members here who are but due to them not always having connectivity they might be quiet for a while, so I guess it is imported to keep this thread alive for a while for them to see.

From your first post I gather that the vehicle model has SA based specs and not American/Canadian. So it means that your 2.8 diesel is then a 3L engine (3L is the engine code). These engines did not originally come out the factory with a turbo so it was added after market (Alpine Conversions here in SA did fit these turbo conversions).

These after-market turbo conversions are notoriously known for their reliability issues. The problem with buying them 2nd hand is that you are not sure how hard it was driven before you received it. If it was driven without the driver checking the exhaust gas temperature they tend to damage the heads of these engines. Nowadays many owners of TD vehicles, factory-fitted or after-market add ons, have an EGT probe installed in the exhaust manifold with a gauge (with alarms) mounted on the dash board to keep them informed of EGT all the time, since it is not just this engine but most TD engines that fail if you do not constantly make sure that the EGT levels stay below the critical threshold. Remember the ambient temperature here is normally much warmer than where you come from.

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I would rather warn you now, than you having to struggle with a blown engine somewhere in the wilderness. So my advice to you would be to make sure you can trust the engine, or have it replaced with a normally aspirated one, the 5L (3000cc) will fit right in and is more powerful then the NA 3L. Most over-landers will recommend the NA diesels as even a primitive bush mechanic can keep it running and it is super reliable even if the diesel quality you buy in the bush is poor. The added bonus is that parts can easily be sourced for them out in remote places as there are plenty of these trucks running around in “deep dark :wink: ” Africa.

One of our members here had such an experience His nick is Whitters - but I have not seen him on the forum for a while, I guess its due to the fact that he has gone to work in Australia for 2 years. His 2.8TD packed up in Zimbabwe and he had to complete the journey with a friend and the vehicle shipped back to SA. IIRC he had not owned the vehicle for very long and he had the engine replaced by the garage he bought it from.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Addy, welcome to the forum.

I totally agree with Bennie. Many people got lots of milage out of the diesels, but it depends on how it was driven.

Some of the places you want to visit are very remote, and if something breaks it can be days before you even see anybody else, and maybe they can then not even help. But if you have enough time, patience and water, you can always regard it as part of the adventure. Unfortunately, nobody can predict if something will break, and how severe a breakage it will be.

The Howling Moon range of tents are top quality, the size will depend on your own needs. I would suggest to take a small ground tent as well, if you stay in one place for a week or so, you always have to fold up the RTT before you can drive.

You can always try http://www.overland.co.za as well for info on where you will be travelling. But the places you want to visit are awesome, wish I had the time to do it.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Fdp
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: 97' 2.8Dt Hilux DC

Post by Fdp »

Addy

I also agree with Bennie on the monitoring of temperature, I had a problem with my turbo's temp going through Lesotho. We drove a bit hard to make it to the border, but could get it right back by taking it a bit slower uphill etc.
I have a similar trip planned but only in a couple of years time. My Hilux has just about done 200K K's and I am planning to get the turbo and cylinder head checked, the radiator cleaned, water pipes replaced and so on. All small things that can be a problem after. I would also suggest the normal: Enough spare oil for the engine, transfers and diffs (in case you drown her it is important to drain all oil and replace) spare air, oil and diesel filters. (Diesel quality not always good or water in diesel, and expect either dust or mud).
I think that this is a very reliable vehicle if looked after. I bought mine also 2nd hand and only had joy so far.
Will you go in a group or alone?
addy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by addy »

Thanks o lot to all of you for the very useful information.
The Toyota Tacoma I have here in Vancouver but the 1997 Hilux is near Capetown and really, I bought it long distance over the net and some of you might think I am nuts to have done so and you might be right, but I had a friend in SA look at it and what more can I say.
It will have to have a good going-over before I head out into the "bundoo" and I am sure there are some pretty able mechanics to do just that in the C.T. area. Finding them is the problem.
What would you do to be sure the "notorious" turbo system is alright?
The previous owner assured me that the bakkie was never used harshly, he sounded pretty honest.
I certainly will take Frans's advise regarding the oilsupplies ect. and also will have a temp.gauge installed.
And we'll travel alone again. We have previously been to Hartmannstal, Chizarira, Khaudum, over Vanzyls Pass, Mamili, Richtersfeld, CKP etc. but always in a new rental Toyota. Very costly if used for an extended time. But we find the new Toyotas have turned into Yuppie junk. No clearance whatsoever. We had to remove the running boards to manage some mountain passes. Just look at the old "bush toyotas" and your heart beats faster. :wink: :D
ImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Addy

Overheating damage is mostly on the head. If money is not a problem why not have the head and turbo overhauled in any case just for that extra piece of mind. But then still make sure to fit the EGT or if you are not in any hurry when driving rather have the turbo mod reversed. As far as I know that would mostly entail getting a stock exhaust manifold and then some pipe work.

There are two guys in Cape Town that has a good reputation on Hiluxes the one is Allan Venter from AEW (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1272&p=10623#p10623)
and the other is Wessel from 4xTech (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1400&p=12283&#p12283)
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Cris Ingram also comes to mind, apart from having his own business, he writes a series of technical articles for a local 4x4 magazine.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1472

Seems all the good machies are in Cape town - are there none up our side of the world? :shock:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

addy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by addy »

Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if some member ever had a turbo reversed. I will get in touch with one of the mechanics you mentioned to see what they have to say.
Hey, if money wasn't a problem I'd get a fully equipped Landcruiser with all the bells and whistles.
Just adreaming.
ImageImage
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 89 2.2 Hilux DC

Post by freeflyd »

Addy,

To make you jealous, have a look at http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=14991

I have a 2.2 4Y petrol hilux with 270k on the clock. It is not only the car I drive every day, but I also do long overland trips alone with it. I have attached my packing lists. It might be a nice place to start formulating your own lists.

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I also take a couple of workshop manuals with me. a mechanic once told me that an engine only needs fuel and spark to run (Petrol engine), so if you have the things to make sure that happens, you will always be able to get home. I have not had any serious problems yet, but I'd rather be prepared. With any Diesel engine, I would take along a spare Diesel pump, and know how to fit it, which apparently is not as simple as it might sound.
Attachments
tools Spares and equipment lists Sept07.xls
(30 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
addy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by addy »

Hi Dawie,
Thanks for making me jealous, that wasn't difficult to do. The spare fuel pump isn't a bad idea.
I wonder if there are other members out there that have turbo powered (after market) diesels and if so, what problems? What's the cost of having an after market turbo removed.
Any ideas?
Addy
ImageImage

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”