About recalls and stuff

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

About recalls and stuff

Post by Traveler »

It is very interesting to read people's takes on the Toyota recalls that are seemingly endless at the moment. Even poor Neil gets called biased in a recent letter published in SA4x4 because he now also owns a delightful Hilux. People just seem to derive endless pleasure in what they perceive in their uninformed status as the demise of the mighty Toyota. Particularly its reputation of reliability.

Well guys, it ain't even halfway what you think it is. And yes, you see smoke, but unfortunately it ain't fire in the Toyota castle. You need to go and read more about these recalls and what they entail. Do you know 800,000 of them is for a spare wheel retension bracket?

Having been in the industry for some time and having worked in countries outside South Africa, I think that my knowledge and my experience on the matter is rather sound and I can make some statements and be certain of my blabbering.

Recalls as they are now popularly called in the media is a regular occurance in the industry. Now before you run to the hills, read on. We call them campaigns and there ar two kinds of campaigns, safety critical and then service preventative. In my years I have come across 2 safety critical ones where we needed vehicles in immediately. The rest where never thay critical. And more than 80% of the vehicles that where involved in campaigns were so just because of overt caution.

I have never witnessed a campaign that was due to a design flaw itself. But most have been due to choices and calls made at part supplier and manufacturer level.
Something the part suppliers refer to as value engineering.

Just my 2CW

Know what you don't know.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: About recalls and stuff

Post by CasKru »

Amen to that brother..... All this reaction to Toyota is pure jealousy
To God be the glory
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

BMW motorbikes just had a recall for a brake leak issue, and before Toyota M Benz had the biggest recall in history.
The only problem I got with Toyota is their previous reluctance to do these recalls as in this case people died and when people die massive emotional bad-will is generated. I’ve dealt with the company before and they do tend to err on the arrogant side. Also it tells me that the reputation that Toyota had, had been due to its older products and that the modern ones are no better or worse than Hyundai, Kia, Citroen etc. They just make good car these days, as do a lot of other manufacturers.
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

King Rat wrote:BMW motorbikes just had a recall for a brake leak issue, and before Toyota M Benz had the biggest recall in history.
The only problem I got with Toyota is their previous reluctance to do these recalls as in this case people died and when people die massive emotional bad-will is generated. I’ve dealt with the company before and they do tend to err on the arrogant side. Also it tells me that the reputation that Toyota had, had been due to its older products and that the modern ones are no better or worse than Hyundai, Kia, Citroen etc. They just make good car these days, as do a lot of other manufacturers.
When I buy a car for the family I will seriously take a look at the Kia and Hyundai offerings at that stage. I've got a lot of respect for their vehicles.
To God be the glory
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Coenraad of course I cannot comment for all Toyota dealers in the country, remember they are autonomous entities under the Toyota banner.
However I can compliment NTT Toyota, all their branches go out their way for their customers.

King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

Traveler wrote:Coenraad of course I cannot comment for all Toyota dealers in the country, remember they are autonomous entities under the Toyota banner.
However I can compliment NTT Toyota, all their branches go out their way for their customers.
I've personally have never had any dealings with Toyota Dealers before(except as sponsors) so I can't comment there but I've worked for and had dealings with TSA before in the R&D area and I base my opinions on that. I've worked with other manufacturers as well and compare them to TSA.
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

I think the owners of Amaroks will experience the same. Just as Navara owners.

Return to “Open Discussion”