old man emu versus iron man

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
hansbaeten
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Estcourt
Vehicle: Toyota 2003 3.0 KZTE D/C 4X4

old man emu versus iron man

Post by hansbaeten »

I'm about to have new springs installed on my 2003 Hilux D/C 3 L Diesel 4X4
Does anyone have an opinion on whether to go for old man emu versus iron man?
I've been calling around and on average the price difference is about 2000 ZAR (Iron man cheapest)
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Re: old man emu versus iron man

Post by Toybox »

I've had both and don't have a bad word to say about either.... The OME was slightly softer but I'm not sure how much that had to do with the springs.

My pops also fitted IM, and in about 18 months his one rear shock sprung a very slight leak. Ironman replaced it no questions asked....

Sorry I cant really help you with an answer though, they're much of a muchness. Is it worth the price difference? I'm honestly not sure...
Suidwes1
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Landrover 110 Defender met baie ekstras ( jammer ouens )

Post by Suidwes1 »

Hans
I am a dealer for both and both are very good. The Ironman is cheaper, but also very good.
OUD Suidwester !!!
Province

My 4 x 4
Lets Play !
168 Commisioner street
Krugersdorp

S 26 05.897 E 27 45.627
my4x4shop@gmail.com
www.my4x4shop.co.za ( aktief )
+27116609687
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

OME was started by x2 brothers in Aus years ago. They then split up after some differences.

I have been supporting of Iromman for 6 years no problems. :thumbup: And yes cheaper!

Ironman have x3 different leafspring sets: comfort (no load) medium, and heavy duty.
Shocks, you have a choice of x2 soft and stiff, I preder the harder ones :thumbup:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I currently have IM on my bakkie. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me what suspension I have as they were in awe with the amount of flex I get. If I replace I would like to either try OME or Mikem as I do have one or two gripes with IM.
To God be the glory
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

The last time I said anything about OME suspensions systems Cassie put a knife in my back. That wound has now healed... :shock: :lol: :lol:

Kaspaas is fitted with OME springs and Monroe shocks,and they make for a formidable suspension setup. I am extremely happy with the performance of that setup,as it has seen in excess of 60000 km's of (serious) use and is still in mint condition. :thumbup:

Will I go OME again? It will purely be a matter of financial implications vs proven track record of alternative products. If I can find a setup that is as durable (proven) and as usable (proven) and cheaper than OME then I will definitely consider it. :thumbup: :thumbup: For now I will use the OME untill they say bye-bye... (that might take another 60000 km/s or 6 years) :lol: :lol:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

This is going to be a very interesting thread as we go along. I have the full OME and its been in for 5 years now. I drive on very bad corrugated roads without my ass getting jumpy. When I drove my Kzte on the standard setup I was all over the road. I have not driven one with the Iron Man yet. At the time when I enquired I was told that nothing compares to OME. I have spoken to a few guys with IM and they say it is a harder ride. Being stiffer I would guess that the articulation would be less than the OME. Maybe some of you guys have some answers to this as well.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Ironman have x3 different leafspring sets: comfort (no load) medium, and heavy duty.
Shocks, you have a choice of x2 soft and stiff, I preder the harder ones
Gunta, what setup did they have in their vehicles?
Last edited by CasKru on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

CasKru wrote:I currently have IM on my bakkie. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me what suspension I have as they were in awe with the amount of flex I get. If I replace I would like to either try OME or Mikem as I do have one or two gripes with IM.
Okay... have to add this. The IM on my van is probably around 8 to 10 years old. It has had a hard life (anybody that have seen my playing can confirm this). I've now had my bakkie for 3 years. Before that it did about 7 years in Swazi mostly offroad (not just dirt roads - serious stuff) bundu bashing etc. It's probably gone places where no other bakkie has gone before.

PS: ride quality also has a lot to do with the bushes you fit. The rubber bushes gives a much harsher ride but better flex where as the poly bushes gives a much softer ride but does not flex as much. So before you go spending thousands of rands, maybe replace your bushes with the poly ones and feel the difference in the ride.
To God be the glory
Muz
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 Raider, Suzuki SJ413, Landcruiser FJ40

Post by Muz »

i bought a set of front springs from Van Zyl's 6 pack i think. and had the back re-tensioned. nice ride without the shocks fitted but obviously bounces a around. only problem is i need to find shocks for the increased height and hydraulic only. The Gabriel gas riders give it a very stiff ride and are virtually fully extended.
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Ry die vyand
Club VHF Licence: B01

Post by Castos »

My OMU suspension is going on 8 years and 150 000km. The back is starting sage now and I'm replacing the shocks now for the first time. OMU, for comfort, IM for value and TJM for new kidney's.
97 Hilux Raider D/C With some exstra's
Elands4x4
Ons gaan dieper en bly langer!!!
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

If the budget allows go for the Ome leafsprings, you get 4 options for load. Just qualify the weight you have permantly on the Hilux above std, this will help with the qualification of the blades.

But like Cassie says, "Bushes,bushes, bushes..." and make sure they are greased properly. This affects the comfort and the performance of any suspension. You will be suprised how many "out of the box" Hiluxes, Frods an Cruisers come for Suspension replacements and their bushes is as dry as the Sahara Desert.

Louis
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

OOOOMS wrote:
Shocks, you have a choice of x2 soft and stiff, I preder the harder ones
Gunta, what setup did they have in their vehicles?
Mark they also had the stiffer ones but compained about onroad comfort and poor articulation. To me the obvious thing to remember is with any suspension, the stiffer it is the worse the articulaion is going to be because the springs will always be pushing in the opposite direction. I guess you cant have your cake and eat it so OME make a setup that gives you the best of both. I am sure if you are going offroad most of the time you would want a softer suspension.
That is my thought on the subject.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

My OME has been in for in excess of 10 yrs and 100k km's ..... not a squeak .... well maybe once when I did'nt grease the shackle bushes for a year .... and the ride is still smooth as a baby's bum. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”