electrical problem on my sfa 1997 2,8d 4x4

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

electrical problem on my sfa 1997 2,8d 4x4

Post by FIRSTGEER »

My son used my 2,8d today and noticed the alterator light came on whilst driving.On inspection he found the plug between the main feed on the alternator and the fuse box had become undone.He connected the plug again and the alternator light still stayed on. Tonight I checked all the fuses with a meter and they are all okay.Now I also notice that the moisture indicator on the fuel filter as well as the timing belt light as well as the gloplug light also stay on.Can someone help and maybe advise me.Thanks guys.
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Re: electrical problem on my sfa 1997 2,8d 4x4

Post by Mars67 »

I am speculating here but perhaps it can help direct your thinking. The indicator lights you mention (except for the charge light) are managed from the ECU. If all the lights stay on I would first check the connector that came loose. Why did it come loose and are all the contacts on it making contact again? My experience with electrical faults on cars is that most of the time it is a "mechanical" issue. i.e. a connector that broke or worked loose due to old age or does not make good contact anymore due to dirt/corrosion or a short circuit due to a wire chafing through etc. I would start by looking at all the physical connections and the one that started the problem to begin with first. I would also check that the battery connections and the earth cable and any earth straps are clean and tight. Next I would check if the battery is being charged or not. I would also disconnect the battery to see if the ECU resets those errors.

Electrical issues can be very frustrating but often turn out to be something simple.

Good luck
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Yes Tony.........re-set the ECU!!!!!! :surrender: :surrender:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks guys for your input.I managed to sort out the problem.My voltage regulator packed up.Replaced the unit and all is okay again.

Return to “The Workshop”