The ultimate overland/camper

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

The ultimate overland/camper

Post by Harold »

Now here is a vehicle I would love – it would make a superb overland vehicle.
Saw it at Victoria falls about 10 years ago; it belonged to Karibu Safaris.

My wife would sell me to get a vehicle like this. Maybe I should do the same to my s/cab. As it is I have a steel canopy, so a snip here, a tuck there – and ‘walla’, there it is! (At least I think so.)

I have always wondered if this would work, if you were to build a cab that is a solid unit from front to back? The Hilux seems to have a very flexible chassis. So how would you mount a solid cab that would handle the flexing of the chassis?

Anyone have any knowledge or experience in this?
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: The ultimate overland/camper

Post by pietpetoors »

I guess you have to start looking at the Toyota Surf. It is a Hilux with station wagon type of body. If it works there it should work for what you want to do. Only problem with the surf is that it is IFS. I do not know if the very old Surfs perhaps were SFA.
Attachments
surf.jpg
surf.jpg (11.63 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

If I ever build a dedicated over landing bakkie I would rather remove the loading bin completely and build a canopy that fills the whole area. That way you can even have your heavy stuff like tools lower than what you current loading bin and you can use the space below the sides of the loading bin.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Harold, this is more or less what I have in mind:
P6070068.JPG
P6070070.JPG
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Ja nee Piet this looks like a better option to me. The LC might have sleeping space inside for smaller okes ( me being 2m tall would struggle to sleep in the back of a vehicle), but the LC looks a bit top heavy and might struggle in very rough terrrain and at strange slopes or underneath low branches.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”