4y - 7mge

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Adelaide
Vehicle: Toyota camry altise. Till I find a replacement hilux.

4y - 7mge

Post by rebuilder »

Hello All
Can anyone tell me if it is worth converting from a 4y to a 7mge motor? What all needs to be modified? Costs? etc. Are the bell housings the same? Are the engine mountings the same? do I need to get a managment system? If so, what would be the best option?
Thanks
There is a madness about been mad that only a mad person can understand.
Diesel and dust is where home is at.
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenfell
Vehicle: HILUX 2.8 D DC

Re: 4y - 7mge

Post by jan30 »

I dont know exactly but i know the management system needs changing and thats about 2.5k
Convertion between 20 and 30k
and then all the ods you didnt think off :thumbup: :thumbup:

Or that is what the KENNERS tell me :wth:
IF YOU EVER FEEL TO TIRED TO CONTINUE, JUST DO IT ON YOU KNEES
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by rebuilder »

I can get a complete engine for R3500
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Chris,

Contact Hoppy for the costs as he has done many conversions like that. Also speak to Thysdj on the Forum as he drives one and would be able to tell you what his setup has costed him. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Johan Marais
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I believe you will need a new bellhousing, Fana(ConversionMan) can supply... and a new clutch kit... you will have to upgrade the radiator and fabricate new engine chassis mounts as well... on the ECU side you have 2 choices, safest... use the original ECU and all(many many) it's sensors(like airflow meter, throttle position sensor, etc.)... works well if all the sensors are functioning 100%... or if the original wiring harness and ECU are not available... you will need an aftermarket engine management system(GoTech, Dicktator, Spitronics)... the aftermarket units have matured considerably and if installed and tuned by someone who knows what they doing(and takes pride in their workmanship) they are as reliable as the original equipment. A unit like the Spitronics also offers the option to run of a lambda sensor, which many of the older ECU's couldn't do... personally if I had to go aftermarket, my first choice would be the new Spitronics Titan ECU!

Oh yes, before I forgot, you will need to upgrade the brakes... this can be done by fitted the KZTE ventilated discs with Land Cruiser calipers... costs around R3000... the SFA brakes were designed for a 65kw 4Y... not a 135kw 7MGE(nice engine nogals)!

Mr B
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by rebuilder »

Thanks All
Looks like it will be a little more than my pocket can afford. :problem: :(
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Chris, if you do it yourself its not that bad. You dont have to modify the engine mounts as they are in the same place and you can use the same engine mounts as well. Go to the scrap yards or the importers and source a bell housing from them for around 1k. Use the fly wheel from your 4y and get a new clutch kit. To get the engine in is the easy part. If you can get a motor for 3.5k you are going to have to spend some money on the motor. Whether you rebuild the motor or not you HAVE to change the head gasket to a COMETIC steel gasket with ARP head bolts. Also both the head and the block need to be skimmed to a mirror finish. The cost of the gasket from Leda performance in Cape town is around 1.8k and the ARP bolts is around the same.
Next is the radiator, you can use the 2.7 hilux unless you can pick up one from a scrap yard. Get 2 electric fans for around R800. To find the original ecu and airflow meter is a task of note, it will be easier to get an aftermarket ECU.
If you do most of the graft yourself you could do it for around 12-15k
There are enough guys on the forum who have them if you get stuck. So just shout, but it is worth every cent with the extra power. I have not done the brakes yet, which is next on my list but it does stop with the Power brake pads.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by rebuilder »

Thanks. Will have to wait awhile till finances free up. Choices to make.
Bandit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port alfred
Vehicle: 2008 Fortuner V6 4x4

Post by Bandit »

Are the brake upgrades for the front disks. or to replace the rear drums with discs?

Return to “The Workshop”