Opnion required

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Henk Bakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '93Hilux DC 2.2 4x4

Opnion required

Post by Henk Bakkie »

Hi there to all,

I am new to this website, having just purchased my '93 2,2 Raider Monday last week. After a long search, including many Km's driven after "Good conditions" HiLux's, I ended up buying one at a premium in PTA.

After spending a week with the bakkie, and having just taken it through it' s paces at Bass Lake over the weekend I discovered three problems, vz. the rear diff seems ot be elaking oil as I have oily rims, both ends, on the inside, the transfer case seems to be splatting oil on the undercarrage and the rear diff lock (non standard) does nto seem to engage, even though the "on" light does light up when activated.

Why this long and boring story? I need the opinion of hardebaard Hilux owners - those of you who have had them for longer than a week - on whether I shoulltake it back to the dealer who does not seem very energetic to fix (and risk getting a substandard job just to get me off their back) or is this something that could be fixed easliy enough to just write off the 1 month "warrantee" at the knowledge that the repairs were done to a good standard?

Overall condition of this vehicle is very good, apart from the extra fuel and water tanks it also has a OMU raised suspension with 265/15 tyres in good condition. Interior like new with only a few scratches on the exterior. By the way, anyone that has a half door, steel canopy for sale:-)

Many thanks, and lookign forward to many years of bouncing along the back roads of good old SA.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Om dood te gaan is geen kuns nie; die slegte kry dit reg. Om te lewe is ‘n kuns; die beste kry dit nie goed reg nie.” - CJ Langenhoven
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Re: Opnion required

Post by Bushwacker »

Welcome Henk and congrats with your purchase. Post some pics please. I would say take it back for repairs, it shouldn't have gone through test with oil leaks.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome. Hope you get plenty more mileage out of both the vehicle and this forum.
Are you sure the rear wheel leaks are diff oil and not brake fluid?
Perhaps other responding members might agree, but from the sound of it, you've already summed it up in that you're probably going to get a sub-standard job from the seller / dealer, viz his half hearted interest.
It may be worth your while to take it to someone reputable and see if the dealer is at least prepared to come to the party for parts costs or part of the cost.
Good luck and hopefully a member close to your location can direct you to the right guys.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Hi Henk,

Welcome to the forum!!!! Congratulations on your Hilux, may you have many km's trouble free pleasure from your van!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Are you sure it is your diff leaking oil??? I was just thinking that it might also be that the rear wheel cylinders is leaking brakefluid, which happen from ageing of the rubbers.

The transfer case that is leaking oil might be something relatively small such as a seal leaking on the extension housing or on the front propshaft.

The difflock that is not engaging might be similar to Cassie (Caskru) vehicle where there might be a vacuum leak or problem.

Please post some pictures in the members ride section to show us what your van looks like. :thumbup:
Johan Marais
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

Welcome to the Forum

How much did you pay for her? If you got her for a steal, I would fix her up myself. But if I paid a premium, I would get the dealer to fix. I paid a bit much for mine and fixed it up myself, but now live with the feeling of being robbed and cheated. At least I know that everything is done right now. (or in the process of being done right) :wink: . Also remember that it is an old vehicle, its going to have a few problems.
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Henk Welcome to the forum.

The rear oily substance on the inside of your rims is either break fluid or oil from the diff
The diffloc might be due to vacuum loss if it's a gearmax
The transfer case, this might also be grease from the universal joints if they were maybe overfilled.

Where in Benoni do you live? Maybe you can bring it over sometime so I can give you my opinion (not an expert but might be able to shed some light)
To God be the glory
HennieJ2
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Hilux D/C D4D 4x4, Hilux KZ-TE D/c 4x4

Post by HennieJ2 »

Take it back and have him not only repair it, but extent the warrantee. If you loose the battle, you can still solve the problem later on your own cost , but while you stand a chance of maybe getting it fixed, give him a hard time....

Hennie
Hilux D/C D4D 4x4 ; Hilux 2700i S/C 4x4
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Nooo, do not leave it!

If you have a 1 month warrantyUSE IT AND GET IT FIXED!!! :x I mean you paid good money.

Louis
Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '02Hilux Raider 3.0 KZTE 4x4. Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L V6 CRD Overland

Post by Sun Chaser »

Hi henk
I agree, you should take it back and pressure him into fixing it, after all, that is what a warranty is there for. Although i must say a month is very short for a warranty.
Those leaks would not have got through a thorough AA check.
To all those people who are thinking about buying a used vehicle, its a must to take it thru a 100 point AA check before desciding to buy it, it definately gives you peace of mind.
Good luck with getting your bakkie repaired, and enjoy many km's with it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L V6 CRD Overland
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

I think we scared him away :shock:
lyndonl
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Broadacres - Fourways
Vehicle: its Korean...

Post by lyndonl »

When buying second hand I would go as far as insisting that the vehicle goes through an AA check.
If the dealer is against it walk away.
I will even go as far as saying if it passed the check I will pay for the AA test and if it fails the check the dealer must pay for it, and the repairs needed, and then recheck it and if it passes afterwards I will pay for the passed check when buying the vehicle.

If the dealer says no to these requests then he is not confident in the vehicle he is selling so why should I be.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”