*NEWBIE* Hi all...My 2002 Hilux DC 4x4

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4 Raider

*NEWBIE* Hi all...My 2002 Hilux DC 4x4

Post by JaMMeX »

Hey All

New here and I have been searching for a 4x4, finally picked up a Toyota Hilux Raider 4x4 DC KZTE 2002! It has high milage 150 000km, and hope it wont give issues!

I am 27 years old and have been involved most of my adult life in building Turbo VW Golfs, and just recently sold my Golf IV GTI Turbo (220kw 380NM) for this 4x4. I think its time to enjoy life instead of flying thru it, specially with the laws today, and safty. SO, I decided to find a 4x4, looked at a few Colts, Nissans, Isuzu's and nothing came close to the Toyota!

Found a real bargain, and so far so good! I have been a member of the VW GTI Club for many years, and its been great to chat to fellow VW lovers, and I hope I can make some friends here too!

My Specs:

2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4.
150 000km
Recently serviced, has done very few kilometres since service
Full service history at Toyota
Extras:
ARB bullbar
WARN winch
Steve's Auto Clinic intercooler (under bumber)
Tracker
Long range tank (approx 1100km range)
Jacking points front and back
BF Goodrich tyres
Lenso alloy mags

I will be seen you all soon on the trips!

Here is my baby!

Last edited by JaMMeX on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4 Raider
Dastek Unichip - ARB bullbar - WARN winch - SAC intercooler - Long range tank - Maxxis MT tyres - Lenso alloy mags

4x4mods.co.za | Carmods.co.za | Ferroli Performance Centre
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: *NEWBIE* My 2002 Hilux DC 4x4

Post by JohanM »

Hi Bruce!!!!
Welcome to the forum, hope you have a great time with us fellow Hilux'ers. :thumbup: :lol:

Very Nice Hilux that you have got there!!! Like the look of the bullbar with the winch and Spots. :D
Johan Marais
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

Welcome, she's a beaut and that is not high mileage, she’s only been properly run in now :thumbup:
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Post by swifty »

Welcome to the forum! Very nice Lux you got, I'm sure it will give you lots of pleasure. :mrgreen:
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: *NEWBIE* Hi all...My 2002 Hilux DC 4x4

Post by JaMMeX »

Thanks All!

Looking forward to XMAS time when I can use her abit more! How do I become a Member? is there a Fee etc?
Dastek Unichip - ARB bullbar - WARN winch - SAC intercooler - Long range tank - Maxxis MT tyres - Lenso alloy mags

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

JaMMeX wrote:Thanks All!

Looking forward to XMAS time when I can use her abit more! How do I become a Member? is there a Fee etc?
Cool Man, Welcome, welcome - another Kaapy :D: :mrgreen: :P

You're membership is of course subject to the R1000 fee which you simply leave in a brown paper bag, third dirt bin on the left in Observatory Village :wink:

Can you join the Guys at Takbok on the 13th for the Xmas Party :?: :idea:

Enjoy your stay bru :P :thumbup:
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Post by swifty »

The fact that you registered makes you a member. You must now contact Piet Petoors and order your http://www.hilux4x4.co.za stickers and t-shirt and cap and Hilux4x4 labeled red wine and..........enjoy! :lol:
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:

You're membership is of course subject to the R1000 fee which you simply leave in a brown paper bag, third dirt bin on the left in Observatory Village :wink:

Cool, thats just around the corner from me!

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

JaMMeX wrote:
Dadz Toy BFI wrote:

Cool, thats just around the corner from me!
Great can you drop it in 10 mins then :thumbup:

ps... don't tell the others hey cos I've given u a lekker discount mos :silent:
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

hahahahahah ;)

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Where do you stay Bruce :?:

Most of the Kaapies live 'beyong the Curtain'; however there are a Select Few who fly the Forum flag in the Shadow of the Mountain :P :angel:

One word of warning though;

this Forum is nearly as addictive as your Hilux :shock: :roll:
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Welcome Bruce and enjouy it here :D
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Hiya Bruce, Nice rig you have mate, I see you started playing at Melkbos 4x4... Hope you cleaned her well afterwards, that mud is seriously corrosive. :shock: :shock: :shock: I hope you can make it to our 13 Dec trail, it will be heaps of fun... :clap: :clap: :clap:

I see the words Ferroli Performance Center in your signature. You guys do dyno-tuning too right? :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Welcome to the pack mate! Hope you have heaps of fun in here :)
To God be the glory
ecotech
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: cape town
Vehicle: volkswagen tdi

Post by ecotech »

welcome to the crowd and enjoy.......

you capies have all the leker tracks ad we joeburgers not realy...

wel enjoy en keep the shiny side on top or tilted left, right, forwards or backwards but never down.....

cool wheels and low milage...i have a 2003 with 208000km on..... thats milage...
loop maar met my voete!!!!!!!!!!
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Welcome, welcome. I also use play with the turbos and all things fast, but decided I am going to kill myself eventually, so I bought the slowest car on earth... :shock: :twisted:

Anyway, enjoy your stay!
ecotech wrote: cool wheels and low milage...i have a 2003 with 208000km on..... thats milage...
So what do you call the 380 000km I had on my 4Y before the Lexus conversion? :shock: :shock: :shock:

P.S. Do you work at Ferrolli, Bruce?
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Welcome Bruce enjoy your stay here.

I presume you work at the Ferroli shop. We (Richard (Dadz Toy) and myself) visited Ferroli's looking for a plug for his Idle Control (stabilizing on VW language) Valve when we did his 4y EFI conversion.

Pity you bought an oil burner cause if you bought a Petrol Machine you would have had a nicer canvas to perform your artistic skills on :wink: :wink:

Now you can pull Richard and Bretton (Snipes) on their ears to the Dyno to get their Dictators decently mapped as it still runs on maps from my previous conversions which was just tweaked a little for their receptive machines.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi the van looks great looks like you had lots of fun on the sand :thumbup:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

Hi all thanks for the comments!

I do the marketing for Ferroli.co.za, Rob is a very close mate and I have had the privledge of building some awesome cars with him! As for the oil burner, I needed something different, not forgetting this is not going to be my only car!
Now you can pull Richard and Bretton (Snipes) on their ears to the Dyno to get their Dictators decently mapped as it still runs on maps from my previous conversions which was just tweaked a little for their receptive machines.
They are allways welcome to bring their cars in and we can Map them to the best possible power gains!

I hope to be able to bring you guys some fantastic specials, and if you interested, check out www.ferroli.co.za and sign up for the newsletter for current and later specials!

Rob and Donovan have just returned from JHB where they did an advanced DASTEK training course, and we hope to be able to bring some power solutions to you guys. ALSO, dont forget , we do the BEST intercooler conversions in cape! so PM for pricing or visit our website!

Happy Driving all, and have a good weekend, im off to Beaverlac to do some camping with the new van! hehe

Bruce

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Ja the way we liked them mapped is maximum possible torque from about 4/500-1500RPM for off roading situations to keep up with (or drive away for) the oil burners when crawling. Using the VW Idling valves on the Dicktator helps to maintain the engine when the RPM drops to that reagion but without enough torque it is not effective enough to climb inclines without your foot on the throttle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P09sj3v7w-A This is importend for us 4x4 guys and I know that even at the dastek cources they teach people not to map unichips below 2000 RPM and many Dyno techs don't spend much time there when mapping after market ECUs. But for us offroaders those are some of the most importend fields to map.

Thereafter we require the best economy in the normal drivable rev range (good power close as possible to 14.6 AFR) except full power at full throttle and a bit richer mixture. Past 4500 RPM on standard cams also a bit richer to prevent pining when driven there (like going up sand dunes like bats out of hell), so that we protect the head gasket form excessive temperatures.

That makes these 4Y with EFI much more pleasant to drive all-round then a carb jobbie and helps a bit with the fuel bill as well.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi there. Friends you will make here fo sho. Great looking Lux, Enjoy! :D
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

BenHur wrote:Ja the way we liked them mapped is maximum possible torque from about 4/500-1500RPM for off roading situations to keep up with (or drive away for) the oil burners when crawling. Using the VW Idling valves on the Dicktator helps to maintain the engine when the RPM drops to that reagion but without enough torque it is not effective enough to climb inclines without your foot on the throttle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P09sj3v7w-A This is importend for us 4x4 guys and I know that even at the dastek cources they teach people not to map unichips below 2000 RPM and many Dyno techs don't spend much time there when mapping after market ECUs. But for us offroaders those are some of the most importend fields to map.

Thereafter we require the best economy in the normal drivable rev range (good power close as possible to 14.6 AFR) except full power at full throttle and a bit richer mixture. Past 4500 RPM on standard cams also a bit richer to prevent pining when driven there (like going up sand dunes like bats out of hell), so that we protect the head gasket form excessive temperatures.

That makes these 4Y with EFI much more pleasant to drive all-round then a carb jobbie and helps a bit with the fuel bill as well.
So...............

Are you up for the Challenge Bruce :?: :?:

Your 1st Forum Customer is ready when you are : New 4Y with Dicktator EFi :P

(tuned to parameters as set-out above) :thumbup:

Sharpen your pencil (those Very Special Forum Offers :wink: ) I'm gonna do a Write Up and take Peekchaz too :o: :wink:

Can we make a date for one afternoon next week please :?:
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

So, the bug has bitten, and the mods have started, as you prob read, i have been involed in building quick street cars, but now with a change in heart, i have decided to go the 4x4 route!

My first purchase was this Front Runner S2000 roof rack that I managed to get for R1500.00 Second Hand, im pretty excited now as I can fit an Awning for our camping trips!

Next up was to find a decent awning, and reading the SA4x4 Mag I came across a TENTCO Awning, was on Special for R999.00 from tentco, but managed to find one alittle cheaper from www.fintastic.co.za, bud was really helpfull!

The awning is 3m x 2.7m and looks like this:

More info on this link http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=23418

So, now to have it all fitted, still need to collect the roof rack, but soon my van will be pimped for camping!

Thoughts

more info to come with pics!

Return to “Members' Vehicles”